• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rwh View Post
    You can wrap a large screwdriver in duct tape, insert at the front of the bolt carrier and twist. That should get the bolt open without much fuss.
    Warp97:

I would do as RWH advises if I were you. Given the bolt is only partially into battery as in the picture, the screw driver technique is the easiest and safest way to go.

The problem is most likely the steel case ammo.

LR55

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

A short piece of 2x4 about 8 inches long can help.
      At the range, when shooting manually, not semiauto, I put the butt on my chest at the bench and pull to the back the left side of the charging handle with my left hand and wack the right side of the charging handle back with the 2x4. It usually doesn't take much.

Comment

• warp9764
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2017

Everyone, thanks again for all the help! I managed to free it using lots of lube and mortaring against my workbench while pulling on the handle.

So here's an update on my ACTUAL issue. It turns out it _wasn't_ a jammed round! There was no round in the chamber (why it didn't pick up the round is a separate issue, and I'll be trying my 3 different mag types to see if any perform better, then look at feed lips, etc.).

The actual issue is that the bolt _itself_ was jamming up while trying to go into battery. I thought I had sufficiently lubed everything, but apparently it wasn't nearly enough. After lubing everything VERY well (especially the gas rings), the bolt now goes in and out very smoothly. I think one of my issues was [obviously] lack of experience in that my other (first) AR is a Sig 516 gas piston system, so there is no gas actually blowing into the chamber. I'm guessing because of this sufficient lube is much more important, and I didn't use enough. I've shot thousands of rounds from my 516 and never had this issue, but I'm still a noob when it comes to building and troubleshooting my own build.

I'll get it back to the range next week and report in, after I properly work on setting my gas block for semi-auto (I'll ignore the BFS function for now and work on getting semi-auto running smoothly).

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Great to hear you've gotten it free, the issue addressed, and lesson learned. I tend to forget to lube while at the range, but I try to remember a drop of lube or two every 80-100 rounds at the range lightly. I've never gone more than 120 rounds at a time, and never had this issue.

There are all kinds of reports of this on the boards. The consensus seems to be, ar15s like to be lubed. I saw a guy once talk about if nothing else, pee on the BCG and keep going. There are lubes that make some difference, I was recently turned onto this:

So much better than oil. Stays put, and action stays smooth. I've read lots of testimonies about it's use over in the sands. I think it was designed to be for a full auto lube, which it seems to make guys happy doing. The syringe is re-fillable, and is actually really nice to add to the range bag for all my firearms.

Honestly, I don't think it matters what you use, guys have used ATF/MOBIL1 mixes, straight engine oils, greases, Remoil, Molygrafs, etc all to good effect. Just remember to keep the bolt and extension slick enough and this issue should be solved for you. (the caveat would be to avoid natural oils in cold operating temperatures - Froglube comes to mind)

The one concern I have is any potential galling inside the BCG bore, or the gas rings being damaged. Be sure to make certain there aren't any potential problems that could cause the gas rings to seize up again even after lubrication. Unlikely, but could create issues with wear or early failure.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• DRandi
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2013

Few questions, is your bolt carrier plated in anyway, nickle boron, chrome..... and are you using the McFarland one piece gas ring on the bolt?
            A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Warp, good to hear! this is progress.
              In my case, for a new build, I load and shoot rounds one at a time for the first 50, from the mag and charging handle pulll-back-release (for consistency)... cleaning several times. (shoot 1 clean 1) X5 or ten, then shoot twice/clean 1 for next 10 or so.
              I have had some round ftextract or fteject a few times but watch closely on the bcg, as to whether it cycles all the way back to the lock-back on the lower and not locking back on the mag... also I use those 50 or so to watch the ejection angle from the gun. All good info to have when you're breaking in a new rifle.

o, one more thing...always have a couple of spares, like maybe a used, "known-good" bcarrier you can swap in or even a "known-good" complete bcg. This can help in trouble shooting.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

I second the Single Shot method for break-in. I usually do 40-ish rounds (2 boxes of something good).
                "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

New parts need more lube until they break in. It is the same with any machine parts.

I have been forming wildcat cases using a light film of resizing lube and assembling a new receiver and BCG.

I found resizing lube, rubbed on the bolt and inside the receiver makes it run slick.
                  Last edited by bj139; 02-16-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• kcb38
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Glad to hear it's free but just wanted to add something for anyone else troubleshooting a stuck bolt in a new build, especially if you haven't assembled the upper yourself. I had one that was giving me fits trying to diagnose it and it turned out to be a broke / missing fwd assist spring. The FA pawl was coming out and jamming the bolt intermittently and it required separating the upper and lower halves to free it. That was fun, especially with the bolt not returning to battery and being partially in the buffer tube.
                    - Kirk -

Comment

Working...
                    X