• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lane73
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

FNG from AL here to sponge from the collective horde of 6.5G knowledge

hello Grendelers, I've been lurking around for the past few days doing some reading & decided to register.

I am looking to get into a 6.5G AR platform (1st 6.5G rifle)

I've been outta the 556/AR club for several yrs, but recently a friend of mine gave me a smoking deal on a New, never used, complete PSA ar15 lower with magpul furniture.

I have no shortage of intermediate cartridge rifles around, however I am considering adding 6.5 Grendel for the flatter ballistics at <400 yds as a range toy / varmint gun for yotes and hogs.

I've not done a great deal of research on what maker/brand of upper/bbl assembly is best or worse.
    & this isn't really what I am asking here.
    (although i've seen a few negative reviews on Ytube of a couple brands to stay away from due to some really shotty barrels)

I am looking at a couple of the makers/brands offering some low end complete uppers in the low end price bracket of $400 to $500 I could easily be into a complete new gun for <$600 ( not counting glass of course )

here is one sub-$400 https://sandersarmoryusa.com/product...mbly-with-bcg/

although I am thinking more about an 18" bbl.
    like this one https://sandersarmoryusa.com/product...mbly-with-bcg/
    ^
    any reason to stay away from Sanders Armory?

If so which low end complete upper would you recommend ?

Even though I really don't expect sub moa accuracy from an AR/auto loader platform on the low end price range.

- it would be nice to at least be in the 1 to 1.5 moa for a budget setup like this with decent glass using good ammo
    & around <2 to 2.5 moa with cheap steel case ammo.

^
    * Is that realistic ?
    (it should be from what i've seen posted here, but again not really wanting to spend a Grand+ on an Upper rcvr/bbl/bcg)

I know the domestically produced 6.5G ammo isn't cheap for a range toy & I don't currently handload ( maybe in the future )
    - but for the practicality of practice & plinking the Wolf 6.5G ammo at ~$0.25/round is making the option of 'pulling the trigger' on this more favorable.

your inputs will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Lane73; 02-13-2018, 10:54 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Lane73! Sanders Armory supposedly sell Bear Creek Arsenal barrels and uppers. You can compare the products listed on Sanders Armory sight and Bear Creek Arsenal and determine for yourself if they’re the same.

BCA hits lower in the price point in regards to the 6.5 Grendel market. It’s hard to make blanket statement on the accuracy of any rack grade barrel. I’ve not read anything negative in regards to Sanders Armory’s customer service. With the mass produced rack grade barrel I think it is luck of the draw as to accuracy. If you get an inaccurate barrel that is when it’s good to know the vendor has good customer service.

Classic Firearms and Midway USA A R Stoner 6.5 Grendels are believed to be BCA but many retailers will not acknowledge the manufacturer of their products. You can compare the prices between Sanders Armory, Classic Firearms and Midway to see if the Sanders price seems fair.

An Accurate AR-15’s most critical component is the barrel, then you need good enough optics to see the target and a good trigger. Throw in the varability of ammunition and it is really hard to determine how accurate a rifle will be until to shoot it.

I spend quite a bit of time reading on gun forums and most forum members on this sight seem to be satified with BCA.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Whenever someone writes of wanting a "value" upper I feel compelled to beat the BCA drum.
      I found exactly the upper I wanted on their site: side-charging receiver, 20" fluted, nitrided barrel with 5R rifling, 15" mlok handguard. Normally about $335 but with the Veteran's discount $301. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/uas...85r-mf-15-mlok
      I have less than $550 invested in my AR (without scope or mount).

BCA is sold by many other companies but I prefer dealing directly with them.

I've not fired my AR yet but will soon. I will give my barrel a good trial with many different handloads and expect good accuracy (they have a one-moa guarantee) but if I decide it's not good enough I can always replace the barrel with something like the Faxon group buy 18" offered here.
      AR1C.jpg

The only downside to BCA is that it is hard for them to keep up with demand.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Lane73, from the Great Nation of Texas! HAve helped a couple of friends build up BCA-barreled Grendels and they have been quite satisfied with the results. Among mine are a couple of Alexanders ( absolutely great! ), various others and the most recent being a Ritch Johnson 12.5 5R that I haven't gotten dirty yet. The market for non cash-fatal barrels is rapidly growing so there are some excellent choices out there. Review some of the threads across the forum chapters and you will find all the info that you need to make some good choices.

Comment

• IescapedCali
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

Welcome, from Nevada. My arrival in the Horde followed quickly with a BCA 20” heavy barrel, with their side-charging upper. I have been satisfied at the range that it’s accuracy is better than my own, and would meet your goals. I found their customer service decent, as my calls were answered and emails returned in a reasonable timeframe. Their upper will get you shooting at a bearable cost; just not tomorrow, and probably not with match accuracy at 1K. But, if you want to bang it into steel at 300yards, it’ll put a grin on your face all afternoon. Start planning your second Grendel, though. These things will get you addicted, and you’ll want to build another. Maybe a group-buy barrel from BFT, here on the forum. It happened to a lot of us here. This really is a support group for the afflicted.

Comment

• Lane73
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

Thanks Guys!!

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
            Whenever someone writes of wanting a "value" upper I feel compelled to beat the BCA drum.
            I found exactly the upper I wanted on their site: side-charging receiver, 20" fluted, nitrided barrel with 5R rifling, 15" mlok handguard. Normally about $335 but with the Veteran's discount $301. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/uas...85r-mf-15-mlok
            I have less than $550 invested in my AR (without scope or mount).

BCA is sold by many other companies but I prefer dealing directly with them.

I've not fired my AR yet but will soon. I will give my barrel a good trial with many different handloads and expect good accuracy (they have a one-moa guarantee) but if I decide it's not good enough I can always replace the barrel with something like the Faxon group buy 18" offered here.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]11068[/ATTACH]

The only downside to BCA is that it is hard for them to keep up with demand.
            Yeah i've noticed Lots of other "outfitters" are selling their parts-- I am on the email notification list for that same Upper you linked!
            also thanks for the info on mil discount!

Originally posted by just_john View Post
            Welcome to the Clan, Lane73, from the Great Nation of Texas! HAve helped a couple of friends build up BCA-barreled Grendels and they have been quite satisfied with the results. Among mine are a couple of Alexanders ( absolutely great! ), various others and the most recent being a Ritch Johnson 12.5 5R that I haven't gotten dirty yet. The market for non cash-fatal barrels is rapidly growing so there are some excellent choices out there. Review some of the threads across the forum chapters and you will find all the info that you need to make some good choices.

Alexander is one of the companies I have dealt with in the past & are very reputable still I presume, in terms of quality and service.

actually a LGS has/had a "used" Alexander Arms AR 6.5G complete rifle that had some uppgrades on it- buttstock with adjustable comb and lop & samson railed 14" full float handguard & bipod for $850.

I was really seriously considering buying it,
            but I really don't know anything about the gun's history- how the owner broke in the bbl - what ammo was used, and I didn't know if the bbl is chambered/headspaced for type I or type II or how to tell- I suppose the bolt would be the main indicator- if type I it would have a x39 bolt in it,
            -- I think ?

Originally posted by IescapedCali View Post
            Welcome, from Nevada. My arrival in the Horde followed quickly with a BCA 20” heavy barrel, with their side-charging upper. I have been satisfied at the range that it’s accuracy is better than my own, and would meet your goals. I found their customer service decent, as my calls were answered and emails returned in a reasonable timeframe. Their upper will get you shooting at a bearable cost; just not tomorrow, and probably not with match accuracy at 1K. But, if you want to bang it into steel at 300yards, it’ll put a grin on your face all afternoon. Start planning your second Grendel, though. These things will get you addicted, and you’ll want to build another. Maybe a group-buy barrel from BFT, here on the forum. It happened to a lot of us here. This really is a support group for the afflicted.

Thanks for that info on BCA on quality & CS ( & thanks for ALL ^ on the Welcome!!)

& Iescaped - the 2nd one- will likely be an actual "build"* as I have a M72 (Yugoslavian RPK/AK variant) parts kit that I will likely have a custom 20" heavy finned bbl turned for it that will be chambered in 6.5 G.
            example of a m72 4654751_01_yugo_m72_rpk_ak47_640.jpg

one guy on the akfiles already put together a 6.5G ak build on a 16" AKM profiled bbl.
            - but last i checked in with him he hadn't really had any range time to shoot it much to see what sort of accuracy he was getting.

*build - I use to say the say the same thing about putting together ARs, then a few yrs ago I got into building AKs, when your hands hurt for a few days afterwards- you've built something

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X