• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

16" or 18".... that is the question.

Wife is ordering my new upper for Valentines today........
    16 inch or 18 inch the is the question I am having right now.
    I was planning on an 18 inch 6.5G as I already have a 20 inch Wylde and a 12 inch Wylde SBR right now but, found myself second guessing at the last minute.

It will be used for hunting, bench shooting at 300 and the occasional trips to the 1 mile Club Range/ Competitions... obviously more yardage than I need ha-ha.

My question is did the guys who went 16" regret it or vice versa?
    ― George Orwell
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Personally, if I was ever intending to shoot my Grendel over 1K, I'd be looking for as much length as I could get. Do you walk very far with your Grendel? If not, even hunting with a 20 or 22" would be doable. The 20 I used a couple seasons ago was no more cumbersome than my Inter Arms .270 once I got it slung. I don't know, maybe I'm more apt to lose focus if I think of how heavy my rifle is. I've never noticed it on my back.

Seems that I recall that you get about an additional 25fps/inch from 16-20 inches, and slightly less after 20. However, at the ranges you're talking about occasionally firing your Grendel, this would become noticeable for wind calls.

If you're limited to the two, I'd go 18 for sure. To each there own of course! Good Valentine's day, eh?
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Possibly consider what your next grendel might be as the hoard will likely mention that these things are like rabbits and it seems another will pop up right around the corner. I'd be eyeing a 16" for now as a 20"+ is likely in your mile long club future. I will humbly submit that it happened to me, 1st was a 16", then a 20" and now eyeing something short.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Yep, 12(ish) then 16 then 20+.

I have an 18" in mid-length gas but that was only because it was a good deal (well under $100) and I couldn't find any 16" mid-lengths at the time.

So if you are thinking 300 yards, get the 16". If you are thinking over 500 yards, get something longer (20+).

Just my $0.02
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

If you don't mind a bit more weight then 18" is your bet... 'course a 16er will be in your future!! (personal experience).
          I personally like stiff barrels, also, I think they help me shoot. But they are heavier.
          For the long range I'd imagine you want 20" or more just to have it... maybe in a bolt gun as well.

Note that actual MVs from barrels can vary from mfr to mfr, and even within one single mfr, so you probably don't really know what you have until you shoot it. I had one 18" shot the 123 sst factory at 2505, under 1"/100... and my current 18" shoots them 2450, again < an inch. Different mfr's in my case.
          I hand load a 20" howa HB with sst's, CFE223, 2540 give or take, 1"/100 or less. It hates the hornady factories. A barrel has it own likes/dislikes.
          All these loads have tight StDev's.
          ym will definitely vary!
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ErikS
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I chose a 16 because when I carry it by the pistol grip with my arm just hanging the barrel does not reach the ground. It makes it really easy in the woods.
            #shareyourspare

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

How good have you been in the last year? Both eliminates the problem.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

thanks gents.......
                I think I am going to go with my initial intent and get the 18" for now.

I am not worried about the carrying wt. I am in pretty good shape and humped a 240B or MK46 hunting other critters in the past.
                I figure it is a happy medium and who knows like most have mentioned, will only be the first of more to come.
                ― George Orwell

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Look in the group buy section...
                  OPEN Faxon 18" 65G Group Buy $185+S&H 46/50

there are 4 left (46/50). You won't be sorry.
                  Also you can get a matching bolt for $58 bucks...

Have fun and shoot straight!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    Look in the group buy section...
                    OPEN Faxon 18" 65G Group Buy $185+S&H 46/50

there are 4 left (46/50). You won't be sorry.
                    Also you can get a matching bolt for $58 bucks...

Have fun and shoot straight!
                    And that, my friend, is the best advice you've received so far. Good future building!
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

FWIW I just lugged my 24" bull barrel Lilja non fluted, through the SRM - 2+ mile hike over 10 stages. I did not notice any more hardship than my 18" Barlitien. Both are otherwise outfitted the same (scope, mount, blah blah blah.

I am tempted to get in on that 18", but that part of me that wants a CF Proof barrel is screaming.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I started with an AA 16" barrel from back when they had a more medium profile, but I really wanted an 18" or 20" AA barrel at the time.

I'm glad I got the 16" because it helped dispel a lot of falsehoods that were being made about 6.5 Grendel needing longer barrels, and it opened my eyes up to how far a 16" could actually reach predictably.

My first choice when we did the Lilja group buy was an 18", and that became my favorite 6.5 Grendel that I chose to spend the next 3 years shooting almost exclusively for my long range work. I didn't shoot the 16" much after that, but their muzzle velocities are about the same.

I now have at least 3 x 18" Grendels, a 16" Grendel Lilja Wasp, a 22" Lilja, and a 12" Group buy for my PDW project.

The lightweight Lilja 316 Wasp Grendel build from the group buy is extremely maneuverable, extremely accurate, and just feels great in the hands.

The lightweight 17.6" Grendel Lilja 318 is right behind it in terms of weight/balance.

If I could go back in time, I would get a 12.5" and work with it a lot, instead of 16" or 18", but we didn't have decent pistol brace options then as we do now.

I suspect my 12" will be my main go-to once I spend about a year with it.

You will have slightly faster kill results with the 18", assuming the same bullets are used due to impact speed.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

So, I opted for a 18" this time.......
                          I have built dozens on uppers in the past and I am sure will build more but, I wanted to take the wife up on her offer before she changed her mind haha. I emailed many places and after a bunch of emails and facebook chats, I got a full GrendelHunter SS Fluted 18" upper.
                          GrendelHunter.jpg

I have a friend that has a 12.5" Grendel and a 16" and have played with em so, I am sure another barrel length will be in my future.
                          Last edited by mdewitt71; 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM.
                          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
                            So, I opted for a 18" this time.......
                            I have built dozens on uppers in the past and I am sure will build more but, I wanted to take the wife up on her offer before she changed her mind haha.
                            Youngsters should take heed to this wise proverb. lol

Comment

• mdewitt71
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                              Youngsters should take heed to this wise proverb. lol
                              hahaha aint that the truth....
                              She ordered it and the brown truck should be dropping it off tomorrow (5 days from payment- pretty nice).
                              ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X