Precision Shooting Article an interesting read at best, how to get one hole groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Precision Shooting Article an interesting read at best, how to get one hole groups

Some may have already seen this before but it is well worth reading.

secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-by-dave-scott-precision-shooting-magazine-special-edition-1-199.pdf
  • DRandi
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2013

Interesting reading.
    A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

We've posted that several times on the site, but it's been a while.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• IescapedCali
        Warrior
        • Sep 2017

That’s a really cool read. As a noob, I appreciate ya posting it again.

Comment

• King31
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2016

Good read and I couldn't imagine shooting a group like that. I've been in a enclosed barn where .22LR rifles were shot at 50 yards and it was a blast. Maybe this building will inspire me to work even harder for my dream retirement property.
          Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Agreed, new enough here I've never seen this. Glad to have invested the time. Thanks.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

The main takeaway from that article was the barrel length of 21 3/4" IIRC.

I've always wondered if that same barrel length would translate over to 6.5 Grendel.

The article is about chasing accuracy for BR rifles, where they commonly shoot in the .1s at 100yds with 10rd groups using 6mm PPC.

You just aren't getting that kind of accuracy from an AR15 since the chamber has to be more generous, and the action has way less mass and way more holes in it, whereas these guys are running single feed actions with a lot of mass on them, with stocks that are only good for sitting in the rest. There is nothing practical about a benchrest rifle, but we still like to watch what they're doing because many of the accuracy-improving techniques and hard lessons-learned translate over to practical rifles for the field, whereas much of what they do does not.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

What I got from the article was more of a sense of how hard fought those lessons were, and how great the circumstances were that enabled the study and analysis of those lessons. The fact that they could predictably call the shot placement in consecutive shots in 5 round groups because the rifles were that consistent, (and that was poor performance), is testament to the effort and knowledge base of the guys behind the guns. They literally got to the point where they could see what the rifle was doing without guesswork or theorycrafting. They knew what shot would go where, and could diagnose why. Good read.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Keef
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2017

I'm thinking about lapping the threads on my next build...

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Keef View Post
                    I'm thinking about lapping the threads on my next build...
                    It would seem to be of more benefit on bolt guns, for the reasons pointed out above by 52. However, there is no harm in doing what you can when pursuing more accuracy if it’s a simple thing like the lapping aluminum threads...

Comment

• 98Z
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                      What I got from the article was more of a sense of how hard fought those lessons were, and how great the circumstances were that enabled the study and analysis of those lessons. The fact that they could predictably call the shot placement in consecutive shots in 5 round groups because the rifles were that consistent, (and that was poor performance), is testament to the effort and knowledge base of the guys behind the guns. They literally got to the point where they could see what the rifle was doing without guesswork or theorycrafting. They knew what shot would go where, and could diagnose why. Good read.
                      They were calling the first 5 consecutive shots after a barrel cleaning - they knew exactly where the first 5 rounds were going once they cleaned it - first 5 always go "here," in this order, after that fouler. That, in itself, is crazy accurate. Immense amount of time went into judging THAT kind of accuracy.

Comment

• murfvol
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2016

Incredible stuff. I'm guessing something comparable might be obtainable where substantial brown fields exist.

If someone wants to bankroll it, I'll find the building.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
                          They were calling the first 5 consecutive shots after a barrel cleaning - they knew exactly where the first 5 rounds were going once they cleaned it - first 5 always go "here," in this order, after that fouler. That, in itself, is crazy accurate. Immense amount of time went into judging THAT kind of accuracy.
                          Exactly what I was trying to say. You do a much better job of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X