• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Fed Fusion 120 on Two Smaller Boars - "Kennedy Bullet"

I got some sort of "Kennedy bullet" thing going on that I can't quite explain. I tried to do my best from the evidence I had and the time I had in the field, but something seems off. Feel free to offer a different explanation.

Made a good stalk. Had a few hogs up wind to the left of me, cattle in the middle, and a bunch of hogs to the right that were apt to run to where the cattle were. So I chose the larger group, hoping to get more opportunities.

1st hog goes down, no problem. Federal Fusion bullet made much larger holes this time than with coyotes. It was impressive in terms of the permanent wound cavity. It over penetrated, as expected.

2nd hog, this is where it starts getting weird, I 'think' I hit her in the neck. She was hit and does stumble, but the bullet passed through and she made it to safety. The bullet then hit a 3rd hog (smaller boar) which is the #2 hog down, but the bullet hit it just forward of the hip, crippled the hog, and then the bullet disappeared with a surprising lack of internal bleeding despite the external mess. This was the "Kennedy Bullet" shot. That the little boar went down as it did does not seem right, almost like the bullet had to make an unreasonable course change, hit the smaller, trailing hog on the tail end, and then disappear. I was going to consult the Warren Commission, but they are all dead.

The second shot on the #2 hog down was to put it out of its misery but was too far back, tiny entry between ribs, blasted through the vertebral column and took out 2 ribs before exiting. Impressive damage. I did not explore the entry beyond the muscle just under the skin and concentrated on the exit.

The third shot was not examined. I ran out of gloves. It entered the top of the neck and exited out the bottom.

Anyway, it was a good hunt, decent shooting, a little weird on terminal ballistics, but otherwise good results. Sorry it is a bit longer, but that is mostly the necropsy stuff dealing with how the bullets performed. I can't say I am unhappy with the performance so far, but I am not yet convinced to abandon SST yet.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Thanks. Maybe I should get a handheld metal detector? That might do the trick. I think the blunt force spinal impact is spot on. After probing the wound, I checked the opposite for an exited bullet and didn't see any evidence. I didn't extract the spine from the muscle or anything like that, but made a couple of exploratory cuts on the opposite side and seeing no blood or damage, gave up searching.

Comment

• Keef
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

#brockkl probably has the equipment to figure out what's going on. I'm sure the hospital wouldn't mind getting some hogs in the mail.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Somebody just needs to get me a key to a vet clinic that has a decent CT scan machine that I can use in the middle of the night. What could go wrong?

Comment

• IescapedCali
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

I think your metal detector idea has promise. Called a pin pointer, you can slip the tip into the finger of a glove, or coat it. Then it will go places you can’t reach, and tell ya if there’s copper in them there holes.

Sportsman’s Warehouse sells them for about $50

Comment

• sierracharlie338
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2018

Great video and follow up!

Comment

• KC Huntin
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2017

DNS what is your general consensus on the Federal Fusion vs. the SST on pigs.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

I still like SST better for killing hogs.

Comment

Working...
                  X