• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill37
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

24 nosler

SAMMI spec 6mm ar round. Looks like a 6mm Valkyrie with a 223 rim.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

How much crack are they smoking up in Bend? Lose the rebated rim!
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Just looking at the SAAMI specs for it now.

Looks like Nosler is responding to the void in a factory-produced 6x6.8, but instead of using a 6.8 rim, they're still using that rebated rim from the 22 Nosler.

Field is still wide open for someone to do a 6mm Grendel.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

I applaud Nosler for stepping up to the plate. You'll never get a hit if you never swing the bat.

However. . . .

Swing! . . . And a miss.

People. It's so simple. I weep how simple it is. I spelled it out in detail in my other thread.

I'm gonna try do it — unless someone with more money and who can actually do it right beats me to it. It's all there, ripe for the picking.

It's worth doing. Given the constraints of the standard AR magazine well COAL and reliable feeding from a high-capacity, double-stack magazine, there is only one way to maximize a 6mm in the AR platform.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

The 6mm BFT - bring it on!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

there are many "new" cartridges which seem to be rolling out at an impressive rate the vast majority of them are really just a gimmick of sorts aimed at the many of us who happily try the latest thing and the main functional gain for most of them is just separating us from out money the 22 nosler really didn't provide a significant performance gain over 5.56 77 loads the 22 valkarie is neat and i see some potential in it once it gets a little bigger i will probably pick up a barrel and play with it but i dont have anywhere to shoot regularly past 200 so there isnt much point really i do most practice with a 22 lr it cheap and more challenging and fun than the bigger calibers and will probably be my next ar build for practice but look at all the short mags that were all the rage a few years ago most of them have fallen to the wayside as far as mainstream goes a few of them survive in the target scene but its not like wildcats dont appear there quite a bit so i dont think that can support a cartridge
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

I just need cartridges that are cool. Like the 6.5 Grendel. Almost perfect. Yeah, you could argue maybe the neck could have been just 0.040 shorter and the shoulder pushed that much forward for a touch more powder capacity or the case just 0.020 longer and still feed something like a Berger VLD at 2.280 COL, but it is as damn good a cartridge design for use in the AR platform as any ever made.

224 Valkyrie is pretty good, but not cool enough because they could have used the Grendel case. I say that because the Grendel case is the fattest you can possibly go and still fit a reliable-feeding double-stack within the external dimensions of standard AR magazines. OK? Not trying to be a fanboy here. This is a technical point.

The 6mm Grendel I described is another example of perfection. And because of that it is cool. Now, you could argue there is no need to make concessions for the 6mm Berger 105 Hybrid at 2.290 COL, and then its dimensions would change slightly, but as it is, it is the 6mm AR design to beat.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't a 6PPC off of the 220 Russian, which would almost default then to a 6 Grendel for the AR?
                Aren't the case dimensions pretty much already there...?
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 204 AR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

Yes, actually guys used to resize grendel brass to 6mm ar with 6mm ppc dies backed off about 70 thousandths iirc. So the round we all love in the 243lbc, 6mmar, 6mm predator, is basically a 6mm ppc with the shoulder blown forward for more capacity.

Comment

Working...
                  X