• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

No FA upper. Aero vs DPMS vs??

Looking for a no forward assist upper for my next build.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I'm currently looking at the Aero Precision and the DPMS slick side. Both are in the same price range. I think Spikes might also have one.
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Check out the BCA "dual" charging upper. Then remove the side charging handle.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

I like my DPMS slick side upper. It is not "mil-spec" for outer dimensions however, and the walls are very thick. This makes it heavy, and you must keep in mind that typical anti-rotation tabs on some handguards don't work. It also has no dust cover if that is a factor for you. I like it for these reasons though. My SLR 16" guard works perfectly, the anti-rotation indexes off the gas tube so you don't need the tabs with their system. My Seekins NOXZ had to have the tabs removed to work. My MIG3 wouldn't work with the lock tab installed. I don't have any intention of ever using this upper in such a way that would break the barrel nut loose so that isn't much of a worry anyway.

I would recommend this upper if one knew these points going in and didn't mind. I did not need to lap the upper; The face was square from the factory Also, the barrel extension of my 5.56 Larue stealth cartridge is a rather tight fit without bedding either. It is a stout piece of gear. I believe it would definitely make a good hunting rig, or target rig for sure. I wouldn't build with it if I was trying to save weight, or wanting a slick-sided retro build.

The ejection port is enlarged enough for .458 SOCOM or .50 BEOWULF, and would be an excellent choice for someone wanting to build a heavy barreled rifle. It is very robust... horse beaten well enough?
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Spikes does indeed make one - no dust cover provision either. I've used multiple Aero upper receivers and one Spikes matched receiver set. Barrel fitment was about the same while the Spikes machining is definitely a notch up from Aero and the inside of the upper receiver is definitely much smoother on the Spikes (which is factory cerakoted). I'm leaning in the direction of a Spikes no provision upper receiver for a super top secret Grrrrrrrr project involving a Spikes Snowflake lower receiver.
        Last edited by StoneHendge; 02-16-2018, 01:16 AM. Reason: My new ATT Primetime has a different view on spellchecking than my old iPad (Rest in Hell)
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

I forgot to mention that this is for a build that, while using an AR style upper, will be more of a "traditional" style rifle. It will not be a free float barrel, so the issue with anti-rotation tabs, etc is a non-issue.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

The DPMS is perfect for that. Hard to beat for a strength, and meets the slick-side requirement perfectly.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Aero M4 no FA looks like this.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

For me it would be the Area without hesitation, best of all worlds with no FA and has port door to keep the snizzle out of it.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

Ended up picking up an Aero no FA upper on a president's day sale for $50 and a BCM Mod 3 CH. I'll have to see how this works for what I have in mind.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Can't beat that deal! Good snag. Best of luck on your build. Looking forward to the report. Make sure you post copious pics! Those are so much more rewarding than opinions anyway.

DPMS version:

DPMS slickside by bosephus, on Flickr

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Anderson makes or made one too w/o the port door I believe but it doesn't look like that thing above.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

Searched for a couple days and could not find either the Anderson or the DPMS slick sides in stock for a "reasonable" price. $49.99 for the Aero was a good price or at least the cheapest I had seen them.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Agreed, I would have done that exact same thing. Good call.

Comment

Working...
                          X