• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soddyjohn
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Precision Firearms upper to tight to fit lower RR lower AR15

I purchased a Precision Firearms (6.5 Grendel Neptune 5 ) a couple of years ago and put it on my Rock River Varmint AR15 and fit up fine. Due to health problems I sold the upper to a friend. The uppers' lugs would not fit or even insert into his Rock River lower pin area. His lower was a new Rock River lower unit. I removed just enough off the side of each upper lug until it inserted into the lower unit. Very tight fit and hard to lock up. He took it home and tried to put it one several other (inexpensive lower units) and it you not fit any. The upper lugs are to wide I think.
    So my question is what is the best way to fix this (take more off the sides of the upper lugs or what?

Thanks
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Order a matching lower from PF?

You're dropping a tuned Ferrari chassis and motor onto Pinto frames.

Is this their billet Neptune 5 upper?

Really deserves a matching billet lower if you haven't felt how the 2 mate up with each other.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• soddyjohn
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Is this their billet Neptune 5 upper? Yes, when i purchased it they said it would match up. Well it did with mine but seem not on others. although the others are cheap lowers. well try a colt lower this afternoon and see how that fits.

Really deserves a matching billet lower if you haven't felt how the 2 mate up with each other.
      I really did not want to spend more money just to sell it.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

did you put a micrometer on the lug and the lower?
        are they both within spec?
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• soddyjohn
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2014

i did. the upper was a little wider than the RR lower. i did take some off each side of the u[per lugs. still too wont fit most forged lowers that we have tried. will try a colt next. i hope that was correct way to fit up

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Ouch, you really know how to hit a guy when he's down!

OP: If it were me, I'd be changing the cheap lower before I went to grinding on that upper. And I wouldn't do that much. A tight fit from upper to lower is a good thing, make use of it. They make cheap delrin punches to push out tight pivot pins, way better option than filing off material on PF's stuff IMO.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

In your shoes I would buy either a billet or forged stripped lower from PF and make it a set. Their billet is $200 and the Forged is only $100, plus another, say $50 for transfer to a FFL Dealer and postage. Then populate the lower with parts or swap the parts over from the RRA lower. Both the PF forged and billet lowers are 7075 grade aluminium so best quality and your Ferrari upper is crying out for a similar quality lower. It will sell quicker if the receiver is a matching set.

After you've filed the lugs on that upper it won't be as tight a fit but this can be offset by screwing in tight the Upper-to-lower tension screw.

You will end up paying for someone else's lower anyway so you may as well source the PF lower for best fit.

The anodising will be shaved off where you filed the lugs and this needs to be disclosed when you sell it. Unfortunately some buyers will see that as damage. A PF lower will likely still be a tight fit and this will help.
              Last edited by Klem; 02-16-2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Odd. My Neptune VIII fits just fine on my $49 blem PSA lowers, and Noreen Billet lower.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

What are the military specifications of those upper lugs? Are the PF lugs within spec?

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                    What are the military specifications of those upper lugs? Are the PF lugs within spec?
                    Not an isolated case that a quality upper does not to fit an average lower. I have seen this with Arsenal Democracy uppers (Seekins) that do not fit Colt lowers.

Comment

• soddyjohn
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      In your shoes I would buy either a billet or forged stripped lower from PF and make it a set. Their billet is $200 and the Forged is only $100, plus another, say $50 for transfer to a FFL Dealer and postage. Then populate the lower with parts or swap the parts over from the RRA lower. Both the PF forged and billet lowers are 7075 grade aluminium so best quality and your Ferrari upper is crying out for a similar quality lower. It will sell quicker if the receiver is a matching set.

After you've filed the lugs on that upper it won't be as tight a fit but this can be offset by screwing in tight the Upper-to-lower tension screw.

You will end up paying for someone else's lower anyway so you may as well source the PF lower for best fit.

The anodizing will be shaved off where you filed the lugs and this needs to be disclosed when you sell it. Unfortunately some buyers will see that as damage. A PF lower will likely still be a tight fit and this will help.
                      well, it would not fit at all. neither upper lug would even start to insert into the lower. So I already took off the black paint from both side of the upper lug and it fit good and a little tight now into the his RR lower. lock up was tight also. we did not paint or anodize the upper lugs and left them as they are. it was already sold - he was there when we did it. thanks for all the info.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

A general guideline that makes a lot of sense when fitting parts is to take material off of the cheapest part, not the most expensive and well-made part.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Djgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2016

You did whaaaaaatt? I almost choked on my lunch reading that. Now I'm not hungry either. I guess as long as your buyer is satisfied. I might have some Arizona beach property available just in time for spring break.
                          Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

This might help in determining which part is out of spec.
                            I am trying to find what the spec is for the measurement between the front and rear takedown pins on an AR lower is. Also, I am trying to find what is considered to be "within spec" for the width of the ears on the upper receiver that mate with the pins in the lower receiver.... (No, I haven't been drinking, I just don't know what the technical term is for the parts in question....) I did a search for this information, but I couldn't find anything in the way of exact dimensions.

Comment

• old jeep driver
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2018

I would have sent the PF back to PF and tell them to make it to industry specifications! Don't sound "precision" to me! If they only make their uppers to fit their lowers then so be it but they need to specify that! I have built a lot of uppers and those that went on RRA lowers did so without any problems! Of course I am just a "common man"

OJD

Comment

Working...
                              X