X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • centerfire
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Which is fine for setting up your first round but limits your diagnostic ability there after.

The premise of your first post is incorrect. Your first round's COAL is 2.219" before the bullet touches the lands. The distance to the lands from the base of the cartridge is quite a bit less. In fact, the only measurement you know is COAL so you don't know if any rounds after the one you set up are actually the length you intend (just COAL). Granted in most applications it won't matter but if you're loading hot .010 Off the lands it could. A comparator is so cheap it's crazy not to use one in favor of raw COAL.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Splatt, Do you measure to the ogive or the tip? The reason I ask is what centerfire said about tip variations. I've always found them to be different. The ogive will be different on different lots of bullets also. That is why I asked how or what you were measuring with.Guys use different ways to measure. Also, have you tried the W748 yet? You got me to thinking about it now but the 8208 and H335 shoot awful good. Still want to see how it performs.

Comment

• Splatt
        Warrior
        • May 2017

Havent shot it yet.
        I measure to the tip of the bullet.
        I push the bullet up to where is touches the rifling.
        Get it out, sometimes a cleaning rod is needed to push it back.
        I then measure that bullet, and have my oal length to the tip.
        The ogive is what stopped the bullet at whatever length.
        I then subtract, say .030 off, and have that number.
        I then load my first cartridge with that bullet. I seat it to the number i subtracted to. I lock the seater and load 4 or 9 more.
        I then use another bullet, and do the same thing. This way, i know each batch is at a touching the rifling, and subtracting, how ever much, and they are at an accurate distanced.

Comment

• centerfire
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Are you looking to have your method validated or are you looking for advice? You're needlessly missing the boat.

Comment

• Splatt
            Warrior
            • May 2017

I guess I must not be understanding the question that?
            I see your question now. I use that method. For a long long time it works for me. Maybe I need to start learning a little more?
            Last edited by Splatt; 02-20-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Splatt View Post
              I guess I must not be understanding the question that?
              I see your question now. I use that method. For a long long time it works for me. Maybe I need to start learning a little more?
              Reloading done right! We should make a club, Splatt!

Welcome from KS.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Splatt
                Warrior
                • May 2017

It's all good. I've done this Coal way for a long time. Always work good for me. But I'm always open to Better Way. Don't mind the misspelled or the bad grammar. I'm talking to my phone while I work.

Comment

Working...
                X