• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hansel&Grendel
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

Leupold VX-6HD BDC or Not

Still waiting for NFA on a 11.5" Criterion 6.5G SBR. I have a Law Tactical adaptor (11+ ounces), so I want to minimize scope weight for a quality 1-6x.

Enter the Leupold VX-6HD BDC (Firedot Green) with BDC or the VX-6HD Firedot Red sans BDC, both at 13.4oz. Eventually plan on a TBAC Ultra5; all the more reason to minimize weight.
    Leupold may customize for me a rotary illumination dial with in-between off-intervals. I don't like their push-button illumination.

This will primarily be a self-defense "truck" gun with perhaps some hunting. The objective is 600yds capability (Nosler 129g ABLR) and lethal CQB, all tactically oriented.

Is the Firedot Green daylight bright (as in bright sun)? I know that the Firedot Red is. I have several red dot optics, so I'm not sure how I would fare with a green dot even if it's daylight bright. Since this won't be a 3-gun (competition) scope that might require quick long-distance targets (BDC), is there any perceived disadvantage to dialing MOA adjustment for tactical long-distance, given that I've only used BDC optics over the years?

Thanks,
    Hans
  • ToeheadAR
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Have you compared the 5.56 55 grain BDC drops in the reticle to the 6.5G ammunition you use? The reticle has BDC drops to 600 yards. You should run a comparison so you can modify the drops for your ammunition, just like you'd do for a standard mil or moa reticle. Leupold also offers BDC turrets you can have customized to your 6.5G ammunition.

Out of curiosity, how much is the illumination dial upgrade? I have the VX-6 1-6x with the CMR2 reticle on my AR15 (non HD, so I don't have the nice lens caps).

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

I was looking at the vx6hd multigun with cmr2 reticle personally and yes I would definitely upgrade the illumination button to turret knob

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2017

Directly from Leupold Custom this week:

"The rotary illumination dial can be retrofitted to the VX-6 1-6 at the cost of 199.00 plus any applicable taxes. The dial would be located on shooters left on the left side of the turret housing where the currently push button illumination resides. Warranty remains the same. The red illumination can be retrofitted with the Green illumination while remaining the same daylight bright. Cost for the retrofit is 175.00 plus taxes. Warranty would also remain the same. Any work we preform is warrantied the same as a standard production item."
        (And):
        "The reticle intensity will stay the same as the push button. However, you will lose the auto off feature as the rotary dial has off positions between every intensity level."

In other words, $199 to replace the push-button with a rotary dial with off positions in-between intensity levels (sans auto off); and another $175 to replace the FireDot Green with a FireDot Red (the FireDot Red being daylight bright well beyond the FireDot Green). Turnaround time is 8 - 10 weeks. For me, I will likely obtain the VX-6HD 1-6x24 FireDot Circle (#171554) since the pending 11.5" SBR will be non-competition and figuring a 30/225 yard zero. I suppose I won't mind dialing out beyond that, but it is worth computing the BDC for 6.5G as suggested but at another $175. Something tells me that the intended mods should have been offered as stock items.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

They are stock items on the leupold mark 8s.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
            X