• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

New Build on SCR Lower

https://fightlite.com/collections/scr-lower-receiver-assembly-kits/products/scr-lwr-mc I picked up one of these for less than wholesale, and considerably less than retail, from one of my LGS. Thinking of using it for my 18" GB barrel. Anyone here used one for anything other than 5.56/223? The downside is the

Moved this to a more appropriate section.

So here is a pic with one of my 16" uppers.

KIMG0107.jpg

Undecided now between using the 16" or 18".

Thinking wood furniture from Boyd's. Remington 1100 stock will fit with a few mods. And their AR handguard in a matching wood/pattern.

May have to get lower scope rings for a better cheek weld but right now not too bad with the Aero mount.

Fit between the upper and lower is a little loose. Should fix that with a wedge.
  • howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

I dig it. Noticed that ultra-high mount.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Not so "ultra high" on an AR. But a bit high on this lower.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

I like it. How is the trigger? I have always wanted to build one, but the trigger and the price tag are my two big concerns with those.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

I don't have a trigger pull gauge. Seems to have a two stage trigger that I would guess at 5-6 lbs or so. A bit of take up until the first stage, then a stiff pull into the second. I can definitely feel the difference between the two. Smoother than a mil-spec, but probably just as heavy. I'll have to really look into it to see if I can lighten it up.

Certainly not my Velocity 3# single stage.

As far as cost, it was only possible because of the below dealer cost price I got it for.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Let us know if you can lighten up the trigger and if you swap the rear stock on it. I would be interested in building one if I knew that it would turn out satisfactorily.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 1075 tech
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

I'm thinking that a side charging upper would be a good fit for this especially since I'll be lowering the scope.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

It would probably have to be non-reciprocating, or you would have to drill and tap the proprietary carrier for a charging handle.
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                  It would probably have to be non-reciprocating, or you would have to drill and tap the proprietary carrier for a charging handle.
                  Any recommendations? On either type? Been looking at a few.

FG, as an FFL, you could get one wholesale, yes? Or only as a dealer?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

This charging handle may work well. It's spring loaded so it automatically folds back against the rifle when not in use. Combine it with an Anderson upper and no forward assist. It would be a pretty nice build. I did find a place that said they have done trigger jobs on a few of the Fightligh SCR's with good success. I haven't gotten a price from him yet though. Do you know which Boyd's stock work with this? I'm assuming it would be the Rem 1100 12 gauge, but I would hate to assume that and be wrong since you have to specify the gauge when ordering from them.

The complete SCR builds from Fightlight aren't known for being very accurate. I'm sure that there are a number of reasons for this, but it does make me more hesitant to build one. You would probably be into a build about $1,000 by the time you had the trigger work done, custom Boyds stocks and a good Grendel barrel. As a hunting rifle, 1 MOA would be great if we could squeak that out of it.

Shop our Ramm Tactical collection of top-quality Glock replacement triggers. Experience the difference in precision and reliability with our custom Glock triggers.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 1075 tech
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2015

Or the Gibbs is only a few dollars more.

It's the Rem 1100 12ga that I've read about on these. You have to modify the recoil spring tunnel. The SCR is just a little larger diameter.

SCR lower ............ 325
                      GB barrel................195
                      GB bolt.....................58
                      Boyd stock set.......142
                      Spartan upper.........225
                      Gas block/tube........75

We're getting close before optics, etc.

If a standard charging handle or a BCM mod3 will work ok, then I'll just go with an Anderson slick side upper for $40,

The complete SCR's have a carbine gas system and pencil barrel. Add in the original 10# trigger and it's easy to see why they weren't accurate.

The picture above I believe is a Boyd set in nutmeg. Same one I was thinking of.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Trigger job is $120 plus shipping. I was also thinking about the BCA "dual" charging upper without the side charging stud.
                        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 1075 tech
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2015

As crazy as it sounds, Boyd's will not ship an AR handguard to NY. Tried to order one the other day and got an auto reply that it won't ship to NY. Emailed them for confirmation and received an email this morning confirming they won't ship to NY.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2018

I bought one of these last year when they came out with the GEN II guns. MUCH better trigger. I was considering my 6.5 upper on a SCR, but was not sure how well the recoil system would tolerate the increased recoil. I like it allot, I still grab for the hand grip that's not there, but otherwise its as natural as can be for them. But I have been a fan of the Remington Pumps in CF and Shotgun since I dropped a hammer on a gun.

Typical 100 Yard groups.

I have used the 223 and a 300 BLK upper with no issues. the bugger shoots pretty well too! It hovers at MOA 223, and sub MOA in 300.

How is it working for you with the Grendel?

CW
                            Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-12-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2015

Not quite there yet. It's pretty much all assembled. I still have to bed the gas block (JP adjustable). Then add a handguard. For now, I'll probably just put on a MagPul.

The picture in post 10 is what I originally was going for, but Boyd's has thrown a wrench into that plan. I could order it to an out of state address and then have it shipped to me but I'm not sure I want to support a company like that.

Then there is optics. Still need to get a scope and rings. Thinking of the Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10 and Warne rings.

I went with the AP upper without the forward assist. But am considering a BCA side charger if I can get the bolt carrier drilled and tapped for a handle.

Comment

Working...
                              X