I could use a little help with some loads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Builttoughf350 View Post
    Quick history on the rifle- it use to have a 18" Black Hole Weaponry barrel, now it has a 16" Alexander Arms barrel and it is usually suppressed with my AAC 7.62SDN-6 suppressor.

I use to run 100Gr Barnes TTSX bullets with great results in the 18" 1:9 twist barrel with the bullets seated at 2.250" COAL

The new Alexander Arms 16" barrel has a 1:7.5 twist ratio so I wanted to take advantage of that and run 120Gr bullets.

I loaded up a batch with 120Gr A-MAX annnnnnnd... thats when my nightmare began. The bolt wasnt closing 100% and trying to manually eject the case was next to impossible without using a hammer on the charging handle. It seemed as though this new barrel does NOT like 2.250" COAL - and perhaps the bullets are hitting the lands. BUT ---- I re-seated the bullets down to 2.239 and they still prevent the bolt to close into full battery - and still require a hammer to open the charging handle.

*** My old leftover 100Gr TTSX bullets cycle fine.
    ***Factory Hornady 123Gr SST ( 2.239" COAL) cycle fine. ***
    *** to the naked eye the reloaded 120Gr Amax loads look identical to the Factory Hornady ammo, and the caliper measures the cases pretty much identical so I dont think my dies left the reloaded cases wider than they should be.

Any Ideas ?!?!?!?!? Ditch the 120Gr Amax bullets ? Seat the COAL even shorter ?
    My bad. When I first read this, my brain saw 120 gr GMX. I just read back and saw you were talking about 120 gr AMAX. I have no experience with them at all.

However, my previous comment still applies. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Verify your sized brass with either a headspace gauge, or case checker.

Trim length if resized. Could be you are shoving some of the case neck into the throat.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Splatt
        Warrior
        • May 2017

Chambers are different.
        Turn your resizing die down, starting with 1/8 turn more than when it touches your shell holder.
        Resize 1 piece, and see if you can stick in the chamber with your fingers, then let the bolt go into battery.
        Make sure it full closes, then see how hard it is to extract.
        If difficult, keep turn the die down a little more. Shouldnt have to go more than a 1/4 turn to get the brass to fit.

Comment

• Sobrbiker
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2018

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Hornady started off with a 120gr AMAX load for 6.5 Grendel, then discontinued it quickly back when they first started making Grendel ammo.

They then made the 123gr AMAX with a more secant ogive. 120gr has a tangent ogive. Needs to be seated too deep in the case most of the time.

It's better for 6.5 Creedmoor or a long throat.

I prefer the higher BC of the 123gr AMAX or ELD-M.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X