Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Y'all are killing me...

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunters

Took some measurements tonight of the Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunter and my chamber, seems like the bullets are consistently hitting the lands at ~ 2.2320". My methods are crude as I use a wooden dowel to push the bullet into the lands and then lightly tap it back out through the muzzle end and measure.

IMG_2573.JPG

Since this is intended to be loaded for hunting I will attempt to seat the bullet .008" off the lands at ~ 2.2260"

IMG_2574.JPG

This is a flat base bullet so you can see through the relief cuts how deeply set into the case the Pro Hunter is

Looking at Sierra's load data, they show the other Alliant Power Pro Powder going all the way up to 29.6 grains @ 2600 FPS

sierra pro hunter load data.JPG

Comparing this to the Speer load data for the 120 grain Gold Dot you'll see they listed their max load at 27.3 which is the midrange of Sierra's load data.

speer grendel data.JPG

I'm wondering if Sierra is misprinting the Alliant powder and is actually using 2000-MR .... Nah probably not - but again it is interesting that Speer stopped at 27.3 grains and listed 2000-MR well past where Sierra stopped with Power Pro (29.6).

I just seated a bullet successfully (without springback from compression on powder) with 31.4 grains of PP2k-MR. So it looks doable , I’ll shoot and monitor velocity on lower charges and report back here hopefully by Monday
      Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02-23-2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Different MFG bullets, different results. Be careful.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
          I’ll admit, I’ve stepped away from the 6.5 Grendel a few times over the last 5 years never really delving into the scene that extends beyond posted powders and speeds.

I’m not devoted or bought in for that level of immersion but I acknowledge that a good sum of the community here has done the due diligence to find receipes that make 2590-2620 out of a 24” barrel a reality.

That said, I’m looking at two reloading sources Speer and Sierra and out of 28 listed loads , 2 are described as being able to hit the mark.

So from that perspective I feel as though the venture to see what one of these powders will do with a couple different 120 grain bullets has informational value and possible hunting applications.

I feel somewhat safer in following a book being that I am a casual Grendel user...
          I'm tracking, and talking about book data from AA, Hodgdon's, Western, Vihtavuori, Hornady, and everything in Volume I and Volume II that we put together. I'm not talking about pushing beyond 50,000psi, but tested loads in calibrated pressure trace breeches, starting with Alexander Arms data Bill did.

With 120gr and CFE223, I'm hitting the max speeds generated by the fastest of the other ball powders, but with less peak pressure.

If I load to max with CFE223, I'm getting well above 2500fps even from a 16" barrel.

With many 24" barrels, 2650fps is not out of reach using CFE223 and still not exceeding max with a 123gr even. Some barrels are slower, some faster.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            I'm tracking, and talking about book data from AA, Hodgdon's, Western, Vihtavuori, Hornady, and everything in Volume I and Volume II that we put together. I'm not talking about pushing beyond 50,000psi, but tested loads in calibrated pressure trace breeches, starting with Alexander Arms data Bill did.

With 120gr and CFE223, I'm hitting the max speeds generated by the fastest of the other ball powders, but with less peak pressure.

If I load to max with CFE223, I'm getting well above 2500fps even from a 16" barrel.

With many 24" barrels, 2650fps is not out of reach using CFE223 and still not exceeding max with a 123gr even. Some barrels are slower, some faster.
            I do see CFE223 in the Hornady book, shows 2500 FPS at max which is less than PP2K-MR by 120 FPS.

I guess what I’m hearing you say is that most shooters are seeing much higher velocities than the published speed ?

I’m curious what’s the fastest safe speed anybody has recorded with an 18 or 16 inch barrel ? And how many folks have been able to duplicate it?

I don’t mind running the Speer ladder with both PP2K-MR and CFE223 to compare stated and actual velocities - winner on this will probably be what I stick with for Prvi and Gold Dots (whenever those fall to Earth from the heavens...)

Comment

• Drillboss
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

I think Hornady's data for the 120-123 gr pills is probably somewhat conservative, since it is limited by the 120 gr GMX being included in the mix. That monometal bullet has a longer bearing surface than the others, thus generating higher pressures. However, it is the only published data for CFE that I'm aware of. If there's other pressure tested data out there, I'd like to see it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Another difference is Hornady 9th addition manual for the 6.5 Grendel is a 14.5” barrel that is pin and welded to 16”. I think the 10th edition Hornady uses an 18” AR-15 barrel but I don’t own that manual. Speer and Sierra use a universal receiver with 24” test barrel for obtaining their data. Speer nor Sierra list their pressures for maximum charges, I’m curious if their data actually test lower than 50,000 PSI. Western powders list the pressure for each powder bullet combination and use a 20” 6.5 Grendel barrel.

All these differences in manuals makes it difficult to predict how each individual barrel will perform with data listed in loading manuals. After testing reloads in my AR-15 6.5 Grendels I’ve observed trends but I test each new powder and bullet by loading low and gradually working up. With the high ballistic coefficient of .264/6.5 bullets I rarely load maximum charges especially with ball powders that are sensitive to high temperatures.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Results with 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter

Ended up 175 FPS below Speers velocity numbers (18” vs 24”).

Temp: 65 degrees , 57% humidity , wind 10-15 mph from 5 o’clock
                  Powder: Power Pro 2000-MR

Started at 29.2 grains : 2250/2251/2278/2273 FPS

419996D2-BAB3-4320-BD7E-246E9CFDC526.jpeg
                  pp2k 29.2 resized.jpg

29.7 grains : 2320/2288/2309/2298/2306 FPS

62FC4E42-D8DD-4BD2-B4B5-F10D9B3795B7.jpeg
                  pp2k 29.7 resized.jpg

30.2 grains : 2360/2346/2345/2342/2345 FPS

6D041F60-F617-4D2C-AE17-0A53497AD0A0.jpeg
                  pp2k 30.2 resized.jpg

30.7 grains : 2392/2382/2382/2395/2371 FPS

21278372-60D0-48F0-BE26-03F943C28F0B.jpeg
                  pp2k 30.7 resized.jpg

31.4 grains : 2441/2435/2452/2437/2436

A3145692-BFE6-47E6-B309-2092B4AB3AEC.jpeg
                  pp2k 31.4 resized.jpg

I like that it put 4 in one hole at 31.4 grains and so I’ll probably load at this level
                  and monitor for temp sensitivity over the next 12 months

Brass looks fine
                  Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02-26-2018, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                    Another difference is Hornady 9th addition manual for the 6.5 Grendel is a 14.5” barrel that is pin and welded to 16”. I think the 10th edition Hornady uses an 18” AR-15 barrel but I don’t own that manual. Speer and Sierra use a universal receiver with 24” test barrel for obtaining their data. Speer nor Sierra list their pressures for maximum charges, I’m curious if their data actually test lower than 50,000 PSI. Western powders list the pressure for each powder bullet combination and use a 20” 6.5 Grendel barrel.

All these differences in manuals makes it difficult to predict how each individual barrel will perform with data listed in loading manuals. After testing reloads in my AR-15 6.5 Grendels I’ve observed trends but I test each new powder and bullet by loading low and gradually working up. With the high ballistic coefficient of .264/6.5 bullets I rarely load maximum charges especially with ball powders that are sensitive to high temperatures.
                    Wasn't that the Hornady 8 that's 14.5 pinned to 16? My 9th edition says it's an 18" barrel for Grendel... but you're right in the differences betw all the mfr books. Add to that any differences in rifle frictions as well...
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Your probably right on it being the 8th edition manual grayfox. I’ve got older Hornady and Speer manuals from the early 80’s and I can’t ever remember their edition numbers.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Initial results are poor with 120 grain Prvi HPBT

I didn't get anywhere close to the speed or groupings of the Sierra Pro Hunters with this Prvi Partisan hollow point boat tail.

These are disappointing first results because the bullet was loaded long and is sleeker than the aforementioned Sierra bullet.

Quite strange.... BUT that's why we share. Speaking of sharing, get your loads posted it can surely help me with where to go next on the Prvi....

Weather: 51 degrees / 61% humidity / wind 10-15 mph from the 5 o'clock position - 100 yards

18" barrel / 3x fired Hornady brass / CCI 450 primers / Power Pro 2000-MR powder / COAL: 2.2855"

These fit in an AR Stoner magazine and fed from the magazine just fine

30.5 grains: 2300/2316/2301/2334/2331 FPS

prvi pp2k 30.5.JPG

30.8 grains: 2324/2353/2341/2348/2364 FPS

prvi pp2k 30.8.JPG

31.2 grains: 2381/2398/2389/2425/2392

prvi pp2k 31.2.JPG

31.5 grains: 2424/2428/2414/2418/2423 FPS

prvi pp2k 31.5.JPG

I'd like to try this out one more time but using somebodies COAL (base to tip) that is known to be accurate for them.

I shot a group of 3 of the Sierra Pro Hunters right after these Prvi(s) and they went into .740" so it definitely wasn't the shooter or the gun with respect to the large groups above.
                        Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 03-04-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

The privies could also be a harder surface than the sierra's... bearing surface differences; lots of variables, but doesn't seem like the prv's are your bullet to choose.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Drillboss
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

No direct experience, but I'd expect Sierra to make a better (more consistent and more accurate) bullet than PRVI.

I'm guessing the ProHunter has a longer bearing surface than the PRVI and since it's loaded shorter, then you should have a smaller case capacity. Both of these should result in higher pressure and therefore more velocity.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

Drilled a few pigs last night with the 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter handloads

195 yards - 175lb boar , dropped but had to administer a put down shot as we approached.

75 yards - 2 120 lb boars , dropped on the spot and my fellow hunter administered Quality Assurance shots immediately after

All in all the bullet disabled the pigs quite nicely , no tracking needed , a video will be added to DoubleNaughtSpy’s thread in the hunting forum

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2014

More recovered bullet stats for the 125 grain Sierra Pro Hunter: its been effective even though the cup and core are separating.

Video of the hunt is in Double Naught Spys "9 hogs down" thread in the hunting section

Sierra Pro Hunter - handloads (my ammo):

Comment

Working...
                                X