• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sierracharlie338
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

To crimp or not to crimp?

How many people crimp their rounds vs no crimping?

I got the two book Grendel set and it suggests that crimping is not needed. Thoughts?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

I have the lee factory crimp dies and crimp all my rifle rounds, just out of habit I guess... not saying it is needed but, better safe than sorry IMHO.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I now prefer neck tension.

I have been testing the difference between crimping and neck tension over the last year. Shooting 4-rd groups at 100yds. .004" of neck tension gives slightly more accurate groups with the added bonus that the extra step of crimping is not needed.

Here are the group sizes. No bullets or groups discounted.

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

I have the RCBS 264 LBC dies and they do a taper crimp and they do a good job of applying the crimp while seating the bullet saving a step. For the Grendel I do it because of being cycled through a semi auto action is not a tender thing. When I had a 300WM I crimped because the chromo showed more consistent velocities and smaller SD with crimped rounds.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Lee FCD all day here

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              I now prefer neck tension.

I have been testing the difference between crimping and neck tension over the last year. Shooting 4-rd groups at 100yds. .004" of neck tension gives slightly more accurate groups with the added bonus that the extra step of crimping is not needed.

Here are the group sizes. No bullets or groups discounted.
              .004 - That's tight. IIRC Most are running .003, including myself. I was under the impression that one wanted the loosest hold on the bullet possible and still prevent movement when chambering. Bolt gun could probably go .002.

.003 for me in Hornady 1x and 2x stays put in my AR with a JP SCS with a one step heavier spring from their multipack (I really should back off to a lighter one).
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
              X