• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WinJim1873
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Availability of rifles in 6.5 Grendel??

Hi all, I am new to this site and thinking about a rifle in 6.5 Grendel. Looks like it can be flat shooting (w/high BC bullets), quite accurate, low recoil and a good choice out to 600 yds (which I hope to build up to).

My dilemma is that I have found very few bolt guns (boss won't let me have one of those horrible 'assault rifles') offered in the caliber. So far I have heard of Howa Mini Action M 1500 and CZ 527 American (it would take some time to get used to their set trigger) and I am impressed with both through the youtube videos I've seen. Also I know there is the Ruger American Predator (not sure about the green stock). Have i missed some; are there other good guns available??

Went to my local gun store yesterday and asked if they could get me the Howa or CZ. They said they didn't know who Howa was. They called CZ distributor and nothing was available in 6.5 G. (stock #03088). Since I couldn't buy one I was forced to walk out with a Ruger Mini 14 Tactical in 300 Blackout (convinced my wife that was not an assault rifle); rough life..

I would appreciate any comments on the Howa and CZ- what is your experience, how accurate, any weak points in design or manufacturing, etc. If you have a Howa through what store/distributor did you source it?

As an aside, since I only plan to go out 600 yards do I really need something like the 6.5 Creedmoor (much wider availability); I think not but it sounds like an excellent cartridge and I don't want to rule it out.

Appreciate any help/advice, JimB

Edit- Update: I have found dealers in our area through Legacy Intl but their web site says 6.5 Grendal in heavy and std barrel is not available now?? will try to call them tomorrow.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM. Reason: Grendel vs Grendal
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

find a new local gun store
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Or a new boss...
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• pelikan800
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2018

I'm kind of curious too. I am new to the Grendel, and am begining to like the idea of a bolt action Grendel for the reasons you state above. The only centerfire calibers I currently own are a .223 Rem 700, BCM AR and a Marlin 1895 (trajectory of a mortar!). I'm hoping a Grendel will get me out to 1000 yds better than my .223 (which is a stretch). From what I've seen on this website (great website by the way!) and elsewhere on the interweb, the Howa, CZ and Ruger seem to be the only factory games in town.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

First hand experience, stay away from CZ. Ruger just came out with theirs, will need time. I have 2 Howa Heavy barrels, buy these you will not regret it. The CZ was junk, got my money back, as I said the Ruger has yet to be tested. Any questions PM, Welcome A2

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I just did a search and the cheap Howas in 6.5 Grendel are sold out.
            I got the youth model from Whittakers in October for $350 and couldn't be happier with it.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Or a new boss...
              And learn how to explain that AR doesn’t stand for assault rifle and a ar15 is Not an assault rifle.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Take the boss to a range that rents modern sporting rifles and she'll understand.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

I wanted a Howa until the Ruger Predator came out: https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...ets/26922.html

Proven accuracy, good trigger, uses 6.5G AR-15 mags, 22" slightly heavier (threaded) barrel should give max velocity.

Howa has 22" pencil barrel (or 20" heavy or pencil), good trigger, good accuracy but for some reason their proprietary 5-round plastic mags retail for $52 each. https://www.legacysports.com/catalog...ion-magazines/

I just checked and Gallery of Guns has 28 Rugers and my price is $439 OTD.
                  Last edited by Randy99CL; 02-20-2018, 12:21 AM.
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Howa's you can usually find online at Brownells, either the 20 heavy barrel or 22" (I think this is actually a #2, normal profile) barrel would do you well.
                    Even if it's an action/barrel combo you can get an after mkt stock from Boyds. I did that for my Howa 20" HB and like it a lot.
                    Also Gunwatcher.com.

That said the Ruger American Predator should also be a good one. Advantage it has is a nice 22" barrel, #6 or so profile and threaded already.
                    Magpul is s'posed to come out with a Magpul Hunter American drop-in stock early this Spring, for the predator rifle.

Two good rifle choices.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• SDguy
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
                      First hand experience, stay away from CZ. Ruger just came out with theirs, will need time. I have 2 Howa Heavy barrels, buy these you will not regret it. The CZ was junk, got my money back, as I said the Ruger has yet to be tested. Any questions PM, Welcome A2
                      I will have to jump in and stand up for the CZ 527 I guess. I have 8 CZ 527's 2 of which are chambered in 6.5 Grendel. 1st Grendel was put together by re-barreling a 7.62x39 before CZ offered the 6.5 Grendel. Ordered 1st Factory Grendel I had a chance at this last spring. No regrets in either case thus far.

Sorry to hear that anyone may encounter a poor experience like USMCM16a2 seems to have. Grr

Truth be told I have done a little tweeking to most every rifle I have owned including my CZ's. ( bedding the action or trigger adj in most cases.)

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2015

SD,

No problem, I would have loved to be able to give a positive push. Walnut stock, Mauser Action, blued metal, what is there not to like. But even the folks at CZ USA said the rifle was flawed. A2

Comment

• Wafavre2
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2017

+1=New Boss!

Comment

• mdram
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
                            ruger has great cs, wouldnt hesitate because its new.
                            if there is an issue they will make it right
                            just some targets for printing
                            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

If not a complete rifle, then buy a barreled action from Brownell's, and either a aluminum HCR or MDT chassis, or wood stock from Boyds.

Here is what they would look like.

Howa Bull in a MDT - LSS Chassis
                              20171227_182615.jpg

Same actions in an HCR Low Left, and two Boyds AT-One. Ignore the evil assaul...Sporting rifle.
                              20171202_123659.jpg
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X