• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
    Don't wish to step on anybody's toes but if I was forced to go bolt I would go Creedmoor. Just sayin
    Yup the creedmoor can go another 225 yards maintaining same velocity at impact but at the expense of twice the recoil. There's as much justification to go grendel in any firearm choice when it comes to rifles period. Hunting, range, family duty, you name it, the grendel looks like it can do it all and the creedmoor just a couple hundred yards further...with a price.

You could step up to the 6.5 PRC and add another 2-300 yards to the creedmoor. So really one just needs to figure out their needs/wants and go for it. Regardless of auto-loader or bolt action, there are other things to address first imo when it comes to cartridge selection.

So i just used hornady calculator to compare the 6.5g, 6.5cm, 6.5prc. Using the factory eld-m numbers for the 123, 140 and 147 gr options. They get to 1600 fps impact velocity at 650, 875 and 1125 yards. So the creedmoor went 225 yards further, and the prc went another 250 yards further than the creedmoor. The 140/147 have higher bc and sd of course but the 123 grendel still equals essentially a 168 grain .308 for bc/sd and 1600 fps is a decent usuable min impact velocity for gauging this stuff. Read; higher than .250 sd recommended for 3rd class game like elk etc. and the 168 gr .308 and 123 gr 6.5 have .252/.253 sd's...identical penetration ability by the math. Grendel should smack a deer pretty damn fine at 600 yards if launched around 2500 fps.

So pick your range, pick your cartridge, knowing the recoil jump is going to be significant for each step up. For 0-600 yrd work i don't how you get more efficient than the grendel though? This is looking at things through hunters lenses btw. Targets can obviously go much longer than the ranges i just put out there. These are the parameters i judge by as i only hunt!

The grendel recoils about 60% less than .308 by calculations i found, so likely 50% less than the creedmoor. That's significant for only 225 yards additional reach. Or another way to say that, 50% more recoil for 25% more reach. The prc goes 43% further than the grendel with likely 75% more recoil...haven't done the math but you get the picture. Go grendel go.
    Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-21-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Yesterday there was 19 Ruger Americans in 6.5 Grendel available from my distributor. This morning there is 13. I've kind of kicked myself for selling my first one. I don't need it now, but I do eventually want one and they are limited in supply. So I'm ordering another one today before they are all gone again.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• jackthemundy
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2018

I just wish I could find a left hand bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel. I'd definitely be interested in trying it. I hate shooting a wrong handed gun left handed!!

Comment

• hkcavalier
          Unwashed
          • May 2017

My 9 year old daughter has expressed some interest in hunting with me. I think a 18" sporter contour threaded barrel, Howa-type mini action, and youth stock would be perfect. Does anyone make something close to this, or am I looking at having a gunsmith shorten and thread a Howa?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by hkcavalier View Post
            My 9 year old daughter has expressed some interest in hunting with me. I think a 18" sporter contour threaded barrel, Howa-type mini action, and youth stock would be perfect. Does anyone make something close to this, or am I looking at having a gunsmith shorten and thread a Howa?
            Howa makes a 20" lightweight youth model that is pretty close to what you are wanting. The barrel isn't threaded, but a gunsmith could do that for you.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by hkcavalier View Post
              I bought the Howa Youth mini Grendel and the LOP is just a bit shorter than standard but not much.
              It is certainly not like a Crickett or other obviously youth model.
              I have a side by side youth shotgun that has a much shorter pull.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

why not a 16" AR with adjustable CAR stock...? barrel is already threaded, use MB of your choice.
                Nice and sweet shootin'.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• hkcavalier
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                  why not a 16" AR with adjustable CAR stock...? barrel is already threaded, use MB of your choice.
                  Nice and sweet shootin'.
                  I have considered that. Since she probably won't hunt till next year at the earliest, I can see how she handles the .22LR AR I'm putting together for her.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I'm not trying to talk you out of a bolt action. My 6.5G 16 AR with a faxon barrel and MB, comes in about 7 1/2 lb scope and all.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

O, and shoots factory nicely, as well as hand loads...

Comment

• xlcc
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                        canada, ordered through prophet river firearms, 20" #1 contour barrel action is what i ordered
                        I bought mine from Prophet R. as well. Clay,is a great guy.I new Matt at Legacy got a bunch in stock and asked Clay to get a HB for me and he did.I think mine might of been the first one in Canada.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
                          I bought mine from Prophet R. as well. Clay,is a great guy.I new Matt at Legacy got a bunch in stock and asked Clay to get a HB for me and he did.I think mine might of been the first one in Canada.
                          Prophet River team has been fantastic for me for years and years now. The local shops i have rarely get my business because the service blows by comparison. They just get it done, and quickly.

On a side note, i'm impressed with the little action. 3 lb 10 oz naked. To go into the mdt lss chassis you ditch the plastic bottom metal which is 1.0 oz. Action is great, trigger broke at 3.0 lbs crisp, two stage. I watched the youtube vid on how to bring the trigger pull weight down and clipped a coil and a quarter off and it will break right at 2.0 lbs but felt it a bit light so i use the little adjustment nut to add back a bit of tension and have it a little over 2 1/4 lbs now as the kids will use it. I almost debated leaving it alone.

As comparison to the cz trigger which i have breaking just under 2 1/4 lbs. 1. i prefer the single stage of the cz, 2. the trigger blade itself i don't like on the howa, too dished and grooved, feels cheap. 3. the cz wins for adjustability of over travel etc. also. but for the money on a bone stock action like the howa the trigger is fantastic when you think about it....comparing it to a trigger like the cz isn't fair really.

Both my cz and howa action and rings and more have come from prophet river. Thumbs up to that crew.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jackthemundy View Post
                            I just wish I could find a left hand bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel. I'd definitely be interested in trying it. I hate shooting a wrong handed gun left handed!!
                            Me too.....
                            But, I might get a Howa action and slap it in a chassis and play with it. I am the only lefty in the family so I know my daughters or wife would shoot it as well.
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                            X