X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

There is also the single shot TC option.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

In your case I would also check out the SCR. It would give you the flexibility of an AR upper, but look more traditional, especially if you put a wood stock on it.
      http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?16101-New-SCR-Lower-for-New-Build Moved this to a more appropriate section. So here is a pic with one of my 16" uppers. Undecided now between using the 16" or 18". Thinking wood furniture from Boyd's. Remington 1100 stock will fit with a few mods. And
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

I'll stand up for the cz also and sorry to hear of bad experience. To me they've always been a little rough around the edges and need some tlc to make them really shine. A good smith to pillar/bed. Then cycle the action with jb bore paste a few hundred times to slick up. Polish the feed lips of the magazine. Warne med rings seem to be the only choice to get the scope low enough. Trigger adjusted down to 2 1/4 lbs but one of the adjustment screws would freely unwind with repeated cycling or dry fires etc. and get back up to 2 3/4 lbs with lots of creep. So a little loctite blue on that one and reset to about 98% creep free and 2 1/4 lbs and let set has been good since. I'll know by the creep alone if that needs to be red loctited in the future.

It's only got 40 rounds on it so far for breakin, all hornady black. One 3 shot group hit 1/2 moa but i feel i'm rusty and lots in the 1 1/4 moa range. So can't tell you on the accuracy yet where it stands until more life with it and maybe more ammo's. I'm not too worried, it should do 600 yard work on coyotes and deer no prob. It weighed 6 lb 2.5 oz out of the box and after pillar/bed it was 6 lb 3.5 oz. Now that it's all set up and scoped in an fxII 6x36 with wide duplex and standard elevation target knob in the warne medium rings it weighs 7 lb 2.5 oz. Butler creek flips will add an ounce and i have lightweight 2 oz slings i use for light guns, then a few ounces for ammo and walking in the field will be talking about maybe 7.5-7.6 lbs max.

The feel and handling is awesome, it could easily become my fav rig as the hunts pile up on it, the love affair is pretty intense still, it will only take a turn for the worse if accuracy doesn't come and all i want is sub-moa, lots of ways to find that i'm sure. It will increase though if the kills pile up. So far very happy with it but just have to be prepared to take one the distance to see it shine.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

I'll be able to report more on the howa likely this week, at least initial findings as it was shipped last week so should arrive shortly.

Comment

• jkingrph
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Another + for the CZ. I want traditional wood and blue steel, and the only one out there is the CZ. Action cycling out of the box is a little rough but cleans up easily. I previously had and still have two other CZ rifles, one a 527 in 22 Hornet and the other a 550 hoSafari American in .375 H&H and that was my experience with both. The set trigger is not hard to get used to, plus the standard on all of mine adjusted down to the point where they are light and crisp, so I really do not use the set function much. My 527 American in 6.5 Grendel is a dream . I have only shot it once, weather was very hot and humid and sweat running into my eyes so my performance was not the best, although I got just over 1moa using Wolfe ammo, mainly getting it on target. My wife then had back surgery, so for the last 4 months going to the range was simply out of the question. Now rain has set in, and so much expected that I expect the range will be too wet for at least 2-3 weeks. The nice days we have had it has simply been too windy. It seems as though everything is conspiring to keep me from shooting so far this year.

I had previously built a couple of AR types in 6.5 Grendel, one a mid length carbine the other a 26" barrel bench type gun. Both are incredibly accurate, but just lack the "soul" of a traditional wood stocked sporter. The Howa and Rugers being plastic just do nothing for me. I guess I am too much old school to like them.
            Last edited by jkingrph; 02-20-2018, 04:20 PM.
            Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• WinJim1873
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2018

Futz, Thanks for the marital advice but after 53 years she's kind of grown on me. Plus, I couldn't afford the divorce.

JimB

Comment

• WinJim1873
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2018

Stinky, where did you order your Howa & how long have you waited? The dealers I've gone to have called the distributors but when the Dist. are out of stock the dealers say they can't (or won't) put in an order. I am willing to get in line and wait but can't even do that.
                Did you get the standard or heavy barrel? Pls let me know what your initial impressions of the rifle are. Thanks,

JimB
                Last edited by WinJim1873; 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

canada, ordered through prophet river firearms, 20" #1 contour barrel action is what i ordered

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by jkingrph View Post
                    Another + for the CZ. I want traditional wood and blue steel, and the only one out there is the CZ. Action cycling out of the box is a little rough but cleans up easily. I previously had and still have two other CZ rifles, one a 527 in 22 Hornet and the other a 550 hoSafari American in .375 H&H and that was my experience with both. The set trigger is not hard to get used to, plus the standard on all of mine adjusted down to the point where they are light and crisp, so I really do not use the set function much. My 527 American in 6.5 Grendel is a dream . I have only shot it once, weather was very hot and humid and sweat running into my eyes so my performance was not the best, although I got just over 1moa using Wolfe ammo, mainly getting it on target. My wife then had back surgery, so for the last 4 months going to the range was simply out of the question. Now rain has set in, and so much expected that I expect the range will be too wet for at least 2-3 weeks. The nice days we have had it has simply been too windy. It seems as though everything is conspiring to keep me from shooting so far this year.

I had previously built a couple of AR types in 6.5 Grendel, one a mid length carbine the other a 26" barrel bench type gun. Both are incredibly accurate, but just lack the "soul" of a traditional wood stocked sporter. The Howa and Rugers being plastic just do nothing for me. I guess I am too much old school to like them.
                    We have the same taste. I don't use the set trigger either. The Grendel in the 527 American is one of the most perfect hunting rifles going imo. They are a treat to carry and the feel and handling is fantastic. I used to be all plastic/stainless all the time but now my two favorite rifles are a blaser k95 and the cz 527 grendel. I will be praying that i can get a 6.5 grendel barrel for my blaser some day.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by WinJim1873 View Post
                      Stinky, where did you order your Howa & how long have you waited? The dealers I've gone to have called the distributors but when the Dist. are out of stock the dealers say they can't (or won't) put in an order. I am willing to get in line and wait but can't even do that.
                      Did you get the standard or heavy barrel? Pls let me know what your initial impressions of the rifle are. Thanks,

JimB
                      Buds Guns has 6.5 Grendel bolt guns in stock. Your FFL should be able to order from them. Typically my local customers will order from Buds directly and have it shipped to me. I handle the paperwork and background checks for them at my place.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

6.5 Grendel from 10.5" barrels is boring to shoot at 600yds om silhouettes.

6.5 Creedmoor really comes into its own at longer distances.

Both are capable out to 800yds, and Grendel with the right bullets actually does well at 1000yds for me even from 16" and 18" barrels.

600yds is child's play for this cartridge. Want proof? This is with a cut-down 17.6" Lilja barrel AR15 and mild hand load using 123gr AMAX:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

Don't wish to step on anybody's toes but if I was forced to go bolt I would go Creedmoor. Just sayin

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                            Don't wish to step on anybody's toes but if I was forced to go bolt I would go Creedmoor. Just sayin
                            That makes a lot of sense. There are a few reasons to have a bolt Grendel though.
                            1. Recoil. My buddy has a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, but doesn't like the recoil of it. He is thinking of a Grendel.
                            2. I already have Grendel AR's (this is especially true for the Ruger that uses the same mags as the AR)
                            3. If the bolt gun is really short and light. The Grendel could potentially be a short throw (mini-action), 5.5 pound brush/truck gun. Similar to the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62X39 or 300 BLK. A Howa with the lightweight barrel chopped at 16" would be pretty close to the ideal there.

For reasons 1 and 2, I like the idea of the Ruger as an alternative for a 243 bolt action hunting rifle.
                            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by WinJim1873 View Post
                              Futz, Thanks for the marital advice but after 53 years she's kind of grown on me. Plus, I couldn't afford the divorce.

JimB
                              Well, my bride of 32 years would tend to agree with you. Sir, I salute you and yours for the many years of joy you have shared.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• jkingrph
                                Warrior
                                • Aug 2014

Armalite Rifle ??
                                Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

Working...
                                X