• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubachub
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

first post, first build

Keeping it simple, I am on my first build of an ar15 and its a 6.5 Grendel. I am looking for an accurate rifle for some bench shooting and some deer hunting. I am looking at something in an 18" bull barrel. The companies I have narrowed it down to are (Saturn (not Liberty), Faxon, T Box and Odin). Any experience or help with these companies is greatly appreciated.

PS. Max bench shooting will be from 200 yds (typically). Deer hunting will be up to 250 yds max (typically). I want baby groups!
  • outbreaker
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

That is what my Dad wanted. I just got done with his upper and am waiting on optics for accuracy testing.

Barrel: Satern 20"
    Gas Block: Superlative Arms Adjustable
    Handguard: Midwest Industries 3GM Series Free Float Gen 3 15"
    Upper: Vltor MUR Modular Upper Receiver with Shell Deflector Only

Initial gas tuning revealed super smooth bore that collected no copper fouling after 10 shots.

All going on an 80% lower with a Geissele Trigger.

Hope this helps.

I just changed my 18" Satern to the same gas block and handguard. My barrel is over 10 years old and will shoot cloverleafs at 100yds. I will admit my barrel is not nearly as good as this one as I still get copper fouling after 10 shots, though accuracy has not been tested yet.
    Last edited by outbreaker; 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

The search function is your friend. Each name could be easily placed in the search bar at the top right of this page, and would give you more information than you could digest in an evening about each individual term. It would prove most likely far more useful than a few posts of opinion.

That being said, I've found the Faxon GB barrels hard to beat for your purposes. Why bull profile? The lighter profiles in Grendel would definitely do well in your parameters, and would be easier to heft around the brush to boot.

Regards,

KS.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

+1 on the faxon GB... GB=Group Buy. Down in the Group Buy section, the profile was designed by one of our own the venerable BFT...
        Add a $58 bolt deal to it and you're off to the races.
        Tiny groups will then be only dependent on your own skill...!

You also want the Grendel Handbooks vol 1 and 2, in the AR15 Build box section. Plus all the lively commentaries here on the forum!!! yuk! yuk! yuk!
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• calvarez
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2017

I went simple and cheap for my deer hunting AR. It's a BCA 20" complete upper kit. I get approximately MOA groups from it, and my neighbor who is clearly a better shooter is getting sub-MOA, reliably, at 200 yards. One of his targets had a three shot group in the diameter of a quarter.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

If I was going to hunt at all with any set up it would not have a bull barrel on it. You don't need three pounds of barrel to shoot sub hunting size groups any more. If you are shooting over a prairie dog town with half mile ranges it might be a different story.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

OP, I need to apologize. After reading my post, it comes across as a snide zing aimed at you instead of helping you. That was not the intent, but it comes across that way to me now when reading it so you have my sincere apologies.

While what I hurriedly typed out may well be true, it was not edited before I posted it, and it was apparently a little too hasty.

Consider this my repentance, this forum is chalk full of guys that are into Grendel a little harder than most. There is a grand feast of information a little further down (hell - all the way down) the page list showing each of the barrels you mention by name, spec, length, outlet purchased from, service received, and results of - said barrels. It is absolutely worth your time scrolling down through threads to find large and small diamonds among a pile of sand. Spend some time getting to know the posters, their experiences, and their recommendations there. You will be immensely rewarded, and learn more than you want to about barrels, lengths, and performance, and most importantly pitfalls of the barrels you are interested in.

Forgive my lack of edit and proofread, and welcome to the board!

- KS
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
              X