• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jacobdking
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Load recipe

Hey guys,I recently just built myself a 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform. I have an Alexander Arms upper, 24in barrel, and 1:9 twist rate.
    Is there anybody out there that has a similar set up and can direct me in a way to go on a good load recipe for killing anything from varmits and hogs to deer?
    Thanks!
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

That’s a tall order for one load to go from varmints to hogs, but if you’re shooting larger varmints the 123 eld-m or 123 sst are both good starters. 8208 powder. 27.0 grs start and work up to max load. I recommend acquiring a copy of both Grendel load books from LRRPF52. Invaluable resource for this cartridge. I also like the 100 nosler BT for hogs and deer but picked up some 100 gr eld-m since the nosler 100 BT seems to be a limited run pill. U can sometimes find them on shooters pro shop but if the hornady works out, it has a higher BC and is widely available. I also run 8208 under my 100 grain pills
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Sharing recipes is something we don't encourage in the world of reloading since we don't know the oven, ingredients lots, methods, experience, etc.

General rule of hand loading is to find a load combo and work up a pressure ladder over a chronograph.

Different powder lots are one of the biggest variables, as well as lots of bullets and primers, although the latter 2 are more tightly controlled to normally not be an issue.

The Grendel Handbooks will really take you from having a lot of questions, to more questions answered than you currently have in most cases.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

123SST and 4895 is a versatile bullet/powder combination. 8208 will be slightly less efficient in your long barrel but will also work.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Which 4895 IMR or H Klem?

Comment

• Jacobdking
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

I just picked up some 130gr Berger AR Hybri OTM Tactical... trying to find a good powder to start out with to try to begin to load a recipe. The reason I went with the 130gr is so I can be more heavier and have a maximum exit hole on my target. I am okay with not having the "fastest" of FPS, I'm not shooting matches, just strictly hunting.
            What do you think about my theory?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Jacobdking View Post
              I just picked up some 130gr Berger AR Hybri OTM Tactical... trying to find a good powder to start out with to try to begin to load a recipe. The reason I went with the 130gr is so I can be more heavier and have a maximum exit hole on my target. I am okay with not having the "fastest" of FPS, I'm not shooting matches, just strictly hunting.
              What do you think about my theory?
              The theory is, a well placed shot trumps bullet type, velocity, or energy transfer. A hole in the heart, head, or high spine (between brain and lungs) is 100% fatal. Poachers have been taking whitetails here in KS since the .22 was created. If you develop an accurate load for your gun with that bullet, good day for you, last day for your prey. You are correct, velocities with that bullet only need to be above reliable expansion threshold, any higher than that is simply bonus damage.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
              X