• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stiffy
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Howa Mini/ mag release mod

Recently acquired a Mini in 6.5g for hunting in Southern Wisconsin. It was already in a Boyds Classic stock and the ad said never fired and never fitted to the stock. Yes, the left side of the barrel was touching the stock. Wasn't surprised when it didn't feed rounds from the mag. A little TLC and it functions flawlessly.
    I've never been a fan of mags protruding from where I always grab a gun, so I did the 4 round mag modification from another thread. Took about an hour and worked perfectly. Thanks to the guys who took the time to show how they did it! More better for my liking.
    Butttt... I couldn't get past continually bumping the mag release and dropping it. So I did some more reading here and ended up trimming the lever a little bit. It still wasn't digging it for the type of hunting I do. Didn't want to worry about losing the mag in the woods.
    This is what I did. Found a piece of black plastic in the garage and started carving with a dremmel. I countersunk a short fine thread drywall screw to attach it. Protects the lever really well. Screw placement was critical. Had to avoid the spring & lever.
    Have tried just about every thing I can think of that could cause an accidental mag drop and it has not happened. Works nicely with the tip of my finger now. Pretty pleased with the end result.
    It took about 2 hours to make it and put it on. A low cost (time only) mod if you have a little piece of plastic laying around.
    This is my first post ever (anywhere). Hopefullythe pics upload. Found good info here and thought this might be useful to someone else. I live to inspire! Suggestions welcome.
    Stiffy

Added drawing- used small drums for doing the contours. I just opened it up til I could just flip the lever with a little pressure from my finger. I followed the slope of the lever so twigs and crud wouldn't get caught. I did also take off about 3/16 Or so off the lever before doing this. If you have changed yours, the height in the finger groove area will be different than mine.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stiffy; 02-20-2018, 01:59 PM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Hey, this looks nifty!
    Any chance you could do a little after-action measuring, mock up a diagram and notes on length/screw size (like #6 wood or whatever, 1/2"...) so those of us who are dremel-ly challenged might get bold enough to take a whack at it? Size on radius of the center indent... whatever you think would help a fellow out.

Nice work.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Lone Hunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Looks good and welcome. I'm with GF on could you post measurements up. Thanks

Comment

• Stiffy
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2018

The screw is a 1" fine thread drywall screw. If you remove the bottom metal/plastic you will see a channel where the lever spring and pivot point is. Don't hit it! Could use a shorter screw but I was working with what I had.
        Used a flat disc on the dremmel to cut the rough shape and the slot for the lever. Then I shaped it with a 3/8" and 5/8" drum sander.
        Broke my neck in 2007. Nerve damage down both arms. Shake like a leaf. If I can do it, you can do it! Good luck
        Last edited by Stiffy; 02-20-2018, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• Stiffy
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2018

I honestly can't draw a diagram because I shake too much to write or draw. I will have my daughter do one up tomorrow and get it on here.

Comment

• xlcc
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

looks foolproof to me!

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I stuck a very small 1/2" piece of duct tape to the side of the mag near the top.
              I now have to pull the mag out to get it out. It would be difficult to have it drop out accidentally now.

Comment

• klr
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Very nice! I really like my Howa Mini in .223, but chopping down that mag release was one of the first things I did.

Comment

• Stiffy
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2018

BJ, I saw your post about the duct tape a few days ago when I was researching this. I had no clue until now what you were talking about. Will blame it on the morphine. I would have tried it. Lol

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Lots of Kydex laying at home from my hybrid holster days. New project.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I cut the mag release lever down as well but didn't think it was enough.
                      Your idea of a block for the lever is very good.
                      This should be incorporated into the plastic housing by Howa. Great idea.

Comment

• Stiffy
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2018

That would be nice. It was kind of a pain to make

Comment

• bowhunter
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2017

anybody with a 3d printer that can make a couple dozen for us?

Comment

• Dinny
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by bowhunter View Post
                            anybody with a 3d printer that can make a couple dozen for us?
                            Shapeways is the #1 online 3D printing service company. Working with over a million customers since 2007 - Get 3D products and parts delivered to over 100 countries.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• bowhunter
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

thats a game changer..

Comment

Working...
                              X