• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vetman1
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Any DIY Shooting Range Cameras

I was not sure if this section was ok for this topic.

I have done a little searching, but has anyone built a reliable shooting Range Camera? I know some use WiFi, but the FPV used on drones seems like a viable option as well.

On the same topic, does anyone just use a drone set up near their target to record their shots? Definitely an expensive mistake if you shoot too low.
  • Tex Nomex
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Drone does sound the easiest, most cost effective method.
    I thought about trying it with a cheap drone, first - 100yd range.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Alcap
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

There are quite a few youtube vids with people making therre own downrange camera systems.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

The DIY tech is out there. Just a fair amount of research.

If a multirotor is what you are looking at, be mindful that they have a very wide angle lens, so you really have to get up close and personal with the target to clearly ID the holes.

If you want a multirotor for this and other uses, PM me as I have 2 that have been sitting in storage for almost a year. Time to let them go.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 98Z
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Vetman1 View Post
          I was not sure if this section was ok for this topic.

On the same topic, does anyone just use a drone set up near their target to record their shots? Definitely an expensive mistake if you shoot too low.
          I've been thinking about doing this since watching this video below - found it when I was researching my 25-45 Sharps build. This is some good use of drone, here.

Comment

• Vetman1
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

Sticks might be able to help us on this answer. I am not sure what type of camera we would need to be able to see target hits at a given yardage. That is the most difficult part of the project I am having so far. I think I am headed in the right direction, but want to make sure I buy once cry once.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Vetman1 View Post
              Sticks might be able to help us on this answer. I am not sure what type of camera we would need to be able to see target hits at a given yardage.
              Not sure how much help I can be.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Jasunderland
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

I use a Mavic Pro. Set it up down range about 3' above the target. It uses GPS and stays rock solid in whatever spot you want.

Here is a video it took of me shooting my .50 Beowulf.

Comment

Working...
                X