• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EPeterson
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Mountain Goat hunting with a Grendel

Has anyone used a Grendel hunting for mountain goats? I'm mulling over using a 12.5 SBR shooting 129gr ABLR. I'd use the same set up later in the year for caribou.
  • sierracharlie338
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

No but interested to see your results. Im going on a trophy mule deer hunt in September and thinking about taking my G but may end up lugging the 260 instead for the distance I may be shooting.

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

I was supposed to be away this week but the weather has conspired against me this time and whether what I hunt are mountain goats or just goats that live in the high country is debatble but that is where I go and goats is what I hunt there I hunt with my Grendel-Max being my hunting rifle of choice.
      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• kpswihart
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I did one goat hunt with my Grendel. Did not harvest a goat, but did manage a nice Sitka black tail buck on that hunt. I would not hesitate to shoot a goat with the 6.5.

Comment

• 6.8 klr
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2014

A while back there was a guy on here that killed a nice Rocky mountain Goat in Alaska that mis-used a 123 grain Amax.....He killed it after a long chase and many
          shots to finish it off. Afterwards he admitted that target bullet was a very bad choice and next time he will use a Hunting Bullet.
          So, don't be "That Guy" if you can help it. Use a well Constructed premium hunting bullet for such a tough critter......
          ...........good Hunting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

There are forum members who have used TC Contenders with 14" barrels on goats.

There's a picture of an Auodad harvest with such a pistol on the Contents page of Volume II.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• EPeterson
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to go with a 16' Grendel. Does anyone know the minimum impact velocity of the 120gr TSX?

Comment

• IescapedCali
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

For the Grendel Horde’s convenience, I have compiled my results for a sampling of .264 caliber lead-free projectiles (LFPs). Also included are results from testing an experimental LFP, the 90g Cereberus, developed by our very own BluntForceTrama et. al. The main goal of this work was to give the Grendel reloader a single

The chart in the LFP thread shows min 2000fps for expansion in The Tipped TSX.

Comment

Working...
                X