an incredible new challenge - and we all gotta step up!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

an incredible new challenge - and we all gotta step up!!

Folks, We are seeing an entire generation being bullied into the belief that modern firearms ( if not all firearms ) are bad. These are the young folks who are presently in the 12 - 20 year age group. And it is not too many years that they will be strongly influential in the political arenas, and many will be voting within the next year or so.

This is a new challenge for us all. We all know young folks who are members of that demographic. We all need to take on the charter to find these kids and pull ( not push! ) them into the understanding that this thing that we all enjoy is not a bad thing. It is something that a few, maligned individuals have twisted to their own distorted purposes. And that the issue is the individual, not the tool.

So, to all of you, I extend a challenge, find a kid, share this thing with them and help them appreciate modern firearms for what they really are, engineering marvels that enable us to enjoy what we do, to put food on our tables and protect our families and possessions.

All firearms started off as assault weapons. Bows and arrows started off as assault weapons. Rocks were the original assault weapons! So, now lets play with definitions! How much are we willing to loose?! What are the boundaries? If any of these calls to prohibit our firearms start to really take hold, then it really becomes a matter of manipulating the definitions before we all begin to loose everything that we hold so dear! Where will it stop? It must stop now!

Find a kid, nurture a kid, educate a kid - save our heritage!

Thank you

just_john
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by just_john View Post
    This is a new challenge for us all. We all know young folks who are members of that demographic. We all need to take on the charter to find these kids and pull ( not push! ) them into the understanding that this thing that we all enjoy is not a bad thing. It is something that a few, maligned individuals have twisted to their own distorted purposes. And that the issue is the individual, not the tool.
    The trouble with that idea is the two cannot be separated. The gun is what enabled the "maligned individuals" to kill their victims.

Yes, yes, I'm well aware of the old argument that in theory they could have used other means. The point is that those other means were also available, but ignored in favor of a firearm.

So, to all of you, I extend a challenge, find a kid, share this thing with them and help them appreciate modern firearms for what they really are, engineering marvels that enable us to enjoy what we do, to put food on our tables and protect our families and possessions.
    a. Realistically, this is an extremely weak argument for having assault rifles. Only a very small percentage of the population use them to put food on the table, and fewer still have used them in self defense.

b. I'm not sure about the wisdom or practicality of seeking out children to teach. Not only are there potential legal hazards, but it seems to me that their parents would want to take care of this themselves.

All firearms started off as assault weapons. Bows and arrows started off as assault weapons. Rocks were the original assault weapons! So, now lets play with definitions! How much are we willing to loose?! What are the boundaries? If any of these calls to prohibit our firearms start to really take hold, then it really becomes a matter of manipulating the definitions before we all begin to loose everything that we hold so dear! Where will it stop? It must stop now!
    It's much too late for that. Besides, how would you even go about redefining a term that the gun industry itself is responsible for popularizing?

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Stanc, after I taught my daughter how to shoot and took her to my hunting places, I started taking other folk's kids. I tried to focus on teenagers who did not have a dad around because I knew from my own background what a hole that leaves in a kid's development - my dad was a carrier pilot during WW2 and died shortly after. Not all of those kids are hunters but they all understand why we are and why we have a passion for firearms. It is never too late to start trying to change the coarse of what is happening today. We must all do something! The camel's nose is already under the tent and nobody seems to be wanting to kick it back out. Don't believe for a moment that they will stop with AR's / MSR's or whatever the next term is. All they need is momentum!
      Further, from the kids that I have exposed to shooting, ARs/MSRs have proven to be the most appreciated - due to negligible recoil and simplistic operation - just point and pull and watch.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Must agree that sometimes we are our own worst enemy. There are those among our peers here who do have some influence in the industry to change the vocabulary. And that does need to be done - at this moment, perceptions are our greatest enemy and need to be changed.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

The point of the Second Amendment is about division of power. The people in nations from the last century, who did not have this right suffered horribly. https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MURDER.HTM
          The founders of this nation were clear why we have this right. https://personalliberty.com/founders...2nd-amendment/
          The problem is our society has degenerated into a selfish, immoral, entitlement mentality that has disconnected too many from reality. Nobody asks why 93% of all mass shootings occur in gun free zones and why we continue to leave our school children like fish in a barrel, for these miscreants to act out their sick fantasy's. There is plenty of blame to go around, but directing it towards an inanimate object is insane. If someone in my family were to become a victim of violence, the weapon that was used, would not be the focus of my rage.

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Stanc, after I taught my daughter how to shoot and took her to my hunting places, I started taking other folk's kids.
            Well, I'm not one to argue with experience. Since you say that you've done it yourself, I shall accept that my concerns were for naught.

I'm unable to take that course of action myself, however, so I'll just wish you continued success, as well as others here who give it a go.

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

If they ban "assault weapons" then they should ban all of them, including Prius, Tesla, Lexxus, Cooper, BMW, etc.
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Keef
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

If they just banned death we would all live forever.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Here's a question for you guys...

Just saw a clip of a guy sawing his old AR in half on a mainstream news site. My question is, why does he refer to it as 'legally registered'? If it's not a full-auto M16, why does a pre-2014, 20" barrel need to be registered and who is registering it?

Scott Papparlardo has a tattoo of the US Second Amendment, but that didn't stop the long-time gun owner from sawing his rifle into pieces in the wake of the deadly Florida school shooting.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Just saw a clip of a guy sawing his old AR in half on a mainstream news site. My question is, why does he refer to it as 'legally registered'? If it's not a full-auto M16, why does a pre-2014, 20" barrel need to be registered and who is registering it?
                    I don't know about Florida, but in California some semi-autos have had to be registered with the state for the last two decades.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-2...-rifle/9464708
                      He's a New Yorker. It has to be registered in the state (since 2014).
                      Funny that by making the cut, this LowT liberal makes a still-functioning illegal SBR to make an anti-gun statement. His 'statement' is "Arrest me ATF!"
                      Later, he updated his Facebook showing he had also cut through the lower, so he must have read the ensuing comments.
                      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Staged MSM/gun grabber stunt. And yes, David Hogg is an MSM trained actor.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Drift
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

I have found that just telling gun grabbers "No, I wont do it, and neither will 30 million other gun owners" makes them crazy. Then I ask them how they are gonna forcibly disarm 30 million gun owners...keeping in mind most of those gun owners are first responders and veterans.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Assuming it's the same guy, the firearms blog also pointed out that the guy created an unregistered SBR in doing so: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-illegal-sbr/

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

I think the best approach to exposing the fallacy of gun control to children or anyone else is to point out:

1) Even if every "assault rifle" was banned and confiscated, it would take years or decades for anywhere near all of them to be removed from circulation (I probably wouldn't mention the likelihood of bloodshed in the process of confiscation);

2) Assuming every single "assault rifle" both legally owned and on the black market disappeared, there would still be numerous other guns that would kill children all too easily, so the second amendment would have to be abolished completely or redefined to mean only muskets and no one would be allowed to even possess bolt action rifles for hunting (which even most of the antis admit is legit);

3) And instead of sitting on our asses and allowing these shooting to continue while we wait for a political "solution" to be decided upon and successfully implemented (by "we" I mean those who are actually calling for largely unspecified and incoherent gun control measures), let's secure our children's safety like we do for politicians, airline passengers, and society at large -- with ARMED security. I personally think teachers who are proficient with firearms and allowed to have them in school will suffice, but many will object with a parade of horribles, claiming teachers will have their guns taken from them, accidentally shoot an innocent, or immediately get taken out by teenage shooters who I've noticed the antis seem to think are super tactical ninjas from playing call of duty. So, I would instead propose armed school marshals who are highly trained and largely combat veterans who the antis cannot reasonably claim are less trustworthy and proficient with guns than the cops they rely on to respond after the fact. There job will solely be to provide security, not to intimidate or police unruly school children. That can be implemented RIGHT NOW and would have the added benefit of employing veterans. For reasons obvious to any liberty loving person though, such a program should be controlled by the states, not the feds.
                              Last edited by Dcommoncents; 02-22-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X