• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Modded Reloading Bench

Just finished my reloading bench. Reloading Bench 003A.jpg
    I’m retired and live in a small apartment. Don’t have power tools to make my own so bought the workbench and cabinet from Harbor Freight and modified them to fit my needs. Really happy with the way things worked out.

Started with this bench: HF workbench.jpg

Dropped the one shelf down to the floor for stability and less wasted space.
    Moved the drawers and their mounts down to make the second shelf, used regular work surface for the shelf platform. Now the press doesn’t block a drawer and I have more storage space.
    Bought 2’x4’ piece of 3/4” plywood for new, heavier work surface.

Needed more storage and found this cabinet: $70 wall cabinet.jpg

I like that the cabinet doors lock. Keeps nosy visitors away from powder, primers and whatever else I want to keep out of sight.
    It’s exactly the same width as the workbench. I lowered the WB upper shelf 4” and cut the shelf platform to make the upright side supports. This pic shows the side supports. Side 001A.jpg

I didn’t use the wall mounts on the cabinet so attached one to the side to store my one-piece cleaning rod.

I was amazed by how well things worked out. For example there were tons of screws and 13 were a little longer for use through the pegboard but the regular length was fine for that so I used 12 of those for the side supports.

Cost me about $80 for workbench (20% discount coupon), $60 for cabinet (coupon), $16 for plywood and a few bucks for screws/nuts to mount the drawers.

Couldn’t be happier. Already sturdy and steady and will be better once I weigh it down with tools and storage.
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Good job! Been looking at those at Harbor Freight and thinking how they could be used. Thanks for post!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• dammitman
      Warrior
      • Dec 2012

that's just right for loading and keeping up with supplies. i must get my loading environment better organized so i can get more efficient.

Comment

• BCHunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

Well done always enjoy seeing people's solutions to a recurring problem.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

Very well done. For the dollars you have in that you couldn't build that from "scratch" out of lumber. For the guys that would need more "area", if you have a big enough wall space, you could just double that up. Looks very clean also.

Comment

• Wafavre2
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

Nice! Found the plans on the Internet for a Corner Cabnet Reloading Bench.
            AC2A4D83-2305-4955-94C9-FDA2DC4A8A32.jpeg6C31B8CA-710F-436F-A50D-621604C9AA1D.jpeg

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by CVCOBRA1 View Post
              Very well done. For the dollars you have in that you couldn't build that from "scratch" out of lumber. For the guys that would need more "area", if you have a big enough wall space, you could just double that up. Looks very clean also.
              Thanks to all for the positive comments!
              To me it looks like it was originally designed that way and my projects don't usually have such a polished look when they're finished.

I think it's the perfect size at 4 feet long and 2 feet deep.

I wanted the press removable with other devices (like a vise, small bench grinder, etc.) that could replace it as needed. Don't care for those expensive plate systems so just drilled through the plywood. When I remove the press there will just be a couple of holes, not some raised plate stuck there in the way. I like the 3/8" stainless bolts, washers and wing nuts I got at Lowe's.
              Press 002A.jpg
              I'm checking around to find a 12" square of 1/4" steel plate that I can bolt to the underside to stiffen it up even more.

The plywood needs finished and I have to take the whole top off to get at it so I'll do it soon. I'd actually like to use some Formica laminate or something like that for the work surface and I need to sand, fill and paint the edges. Gonna paint the pegboard a light gray too, should look good.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Wafavre2 View Post
                Nice! Found the plans on the Internet for a Corner Cabnet Reloading Bench.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11124[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11125[/ATTACH]
                'Now you see it, now you don't'. Nice and discrete.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I'm in the same boat, cept I have access to my wood working tools from the ex.

I used started out with this

Suprisingly sturdy and stable with a 50lb block of cement (I have access to concrete test cylinders at work) on the hangars.

Then built this to my specs (48x30x50 tall)

Then added this

Lee's plates mount to the presses and then you have the interchange base plate. This is super handy with the priming tool and powder measure. Mounts solid and secure to my bench with the press on the stand.

I need to make a riser, then I can put the press on my bench so I can cycle it without having to bend over. Right now I run the press from my desk chair.

I eyeballed the HF benches, both the metal and the wood, and knowing that you really need a rock solid bench with little to no movement when running a press, I decided to build.

It's a beast, and almost wish I had not assembled it where I did, but it's done. Has to be taken apart to get in or out, let alone change rooms.

With the top on your bench, you can get threaded inserts that you can put into the wood and be able to move stuff around and change up.

The ones I am using are from an entertainment center that I got for free, replaced and took apart to throw away. You can get them from your local hardware store. They hold up. I have 4 of them holding my 4" vise to my 3/4 melonite/particle board bench top, and was able to tear down an upper then reassemble and torque a barrel nut without ripping the vise off the bench.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Brilliant! Nice job, Randy.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Randy99CL
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Thanks for the comments! Whole setup is working great, couldn't be better.

Couple of quick things I wanted to add to the thread.

The keys to getting this bench rock-solid are: 1. Using a #3 Phillips screwdriver. Perfect fit and anything less can slip and scar screwheads.
                      2. Put the washer under the nut and use the screwdriver to hold screw in place while you tighten the nut with a wrench. I used a socket, extension and ratchet. If you try to tighten the screw you just can't get it tight enough. Try it yourself, there is a huge difference.

And I was ready to start the search for a cheap barstool-style chair, then found a perfect one at WalMart for $30. Comes with two sets of legs for 24 or 29" height, is sturdy welded steel and has the swivel. Perfect.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Cordless impact-y goodness. I’ve had two dewalts, a Milwaukee, and now a ridged. Now, my fingers hold the nut, the impact does the work, and my rate of work is drastically increased.

If you don’t have one however, Randy’s advice about this si spot on.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                        X