• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 12Bravo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Casing being scratched

1521921339748577068693.jpg

Working on a new grendel build. Using Faxon match series 20" and before I even have shot this I am getting these scratches on the case. This is factory ammo, Hornady. Also when ejecting using the charging handle, I have to pulled relatively hard to get it to eject. Normal charging handle pulling and it won't eject. The are also rough edges around the rim where the ejector grabs the case. I have the bolt from the recent group buy.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I know this may seem like a dumb question but did you thoroughly clean the chamber and bore before trying a round?
    And clean and lube the bolt and bcg...
    Did you drop a round down into the chamber (no bcg present), and then turn the barrel up to see if it drops out freely?
    That round looks pretty beat up and you've not even started...
    wow. Maybe some other guys w/ more experience in these will chime in. I haven't seen one that bad.
    Pulling that hard sounds like it may be jamming into the lands but haven't known faxon to have that issue.

Edit: do you mean ejector or the extractor? Sometimes the extractor has rough spots right at the points and they can grab the rim/ hang on to the rim too much. Careful smoothing/filing to smooth them down will help that.
    Last edited by grayfox; 03-24-2018, 11:59 PM.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BCHunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

Check your mag, it may be scratching the front lip as it is stripped off. Or drop a round in w/o the mag to see if it is still hard to extract.

Extractor marks are common on the rim sanding the points on the extractor will fix that. There are a couple of threads on that issue if you do a search.

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I have 2 mags that were doing that.... filed down the edge and the scratches have seemed to disappear.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Magazine scratches are not going to give you that much grief. Sounds like there's something wrong with the chamber. Mangled or swarf still in it.

Comment

• BCHunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Magazine scratches are not going to give you that much grief. Sounds like there's something wrong with the chamber. Mangled or swarf still in it.
            That is why I suggested to load a round without the mag. If gets same scratches it's in the chamber, if it comes out clean it is most likely the mag.

Comment

• 12Bravo
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

Thanks for the ideas. I took it apart and going to back together. I also have an Aero upper, ME4 enhanced and it is very difficult to get the Barrel into the receiver. I contacted Aero because the feed ramps of the barrel are not flush with the feed ramps cutouts of the receiver. The best I can tell there is about 0.01 to 0.02 space/ledge left for the barrel to be flush with receiver.
              My first email with Aero, they said that not all barrel feed ramps fit flush with the receiver. I have not built a lot of ARs but everyone that I have both feed ramps and cut outs have always been flush. With that amount of difference I wonder about headspacing too. grendel.jpg

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Looking at this picture I would agree. Beyond just talking about the gap there seems to be both radius and dimensional differences between the feed ramps in the extension and in the receiver. Could be edges and/or pointy-protrusions that could impact the case as it inserts... Now this is a bit grainy and only a photo and you will have a much better eyeball view but seems to be several dimensions of mismatch going on between the 2 pieces.

BCM purposely cuts their receivers a bit small to ensure a snug fit, they suggest you heat their recvr and then insert the barrel, let them cool then. If these guys did that too then that might be a good thing. OTOH if it just happened to be mfr variance, who knows if that's good or not.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Something is really gouging up your brass.

I've never seen that kind of damage on the brass.

Check the chamber for being clear of debris or a defect.

Clean it thoroughly with a brush, and clean the bore.

Make sure it is dry, then cycle another round and see what it looks like (Pointed in a Safe direction).
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 12Bravo
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

I honestly think it's the barrel causing the scratches. I put another, new factory round into the barrel, it wasn't installed into the receiver. Then I took my BCG and mated the 2 as if they were in the receiver. When I pulled back on the BCG and the round was ejected out I had the same scratches on the case.

I noticed some of the barrel group buys are with Faxon barrels. Is there someone in this forum that has a contact at Faxon? I have been wondering if the receiver is out of spec, due to the barrel not fitting correctly as mentioned above but I am now wondering if it the barrel.

Comment

• 12Bravo
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2017

I did freeze the barrel for 8+ hours and it did fit a lot easier into the receiver but it still didn't match up with the feed ramp cutouts on the receiver, looks exactly the same.

Comment

• 98Z
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by 12Bravo View Post
                        I did freeze the barrel for 8+ hours and it did fit a lot easier into the receiver but it still didn't match up with the feed ramp cutouts on the receiver, looks exactly the same.
                        Dremel with the chainsaw sharpening bit is perfect for blending feed ramps on these things. You'll get the aluminum of the receiver before you'll ever do anything to the barrel extension - and it looks like that's what your receiver needs.

Comment

• GjGary
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Where did you buy the barrel?
                          I had the exact same thing happen to my brass. The nitride was applied over debris or rough chamber.
                          I contacted Faxon and returned the barrel through FedEx. The barrel was stolen in Cinn Oh and never made it out of the distribution center at FedEx.
                          My brass looks exactly like it.
                          I should get my son to help post pictures but haven't got that far into that yet, do you need to use photobucket?
                          The Faxon bag was tore at the end opposite the Ziploc, I was in a rush and didn't use the Ziploc.

Comment

• GjGary
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2018

If you have a finished round drop it in the chamber, does it drop and spin. No it will be stuck. Feel inside the chamber with a brass rod and you will feel the debris almost like little pieces of sand.
                            My barrel went missing 3/6.
                            Faxon might have a bad batch of barrel chamber issues.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by GjGary View Post
                              Where did you buy the barrel?
                              I had the exact same thing happen to my brass. The nitride was applied over debris or rough chamber.
                              I contacted Faxon and returned the barrel through FedEx. The barrel was stolen in Cinn Oh and never made it out of the distribution center at FedEx.
                              My brass looks exactly like it.
                              I should get my son to help post pictures but haven't got that far into that yet, do you need to use photobucket?
                              The Faxon bag was tore at the end opposite the Ziploc, I was in a rush and didn't use the Ziploc.
                              Flickr works very well to post photos. Photobucket now requires a paid account for anyone to see your photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X