Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snake Reaper

gas system length

What do all of yall think the best gas system length is, carbine or mid length for the gendel. I am thinking of going with a 24 in ss bull barrel from j&t distributing for my grendel build. Any info on what length gas system, and what yall think of the 24 in barrels from j&t distributing. Any help will be grately apreceated.

I have a 20 inch BHW barrel and its machined for a rifle length gas tube. I believe that a 24 inch barrel is commonly available with rifle length gas unless you have it custom machined.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

18" seems to be the breaking point between midlength and rifle length gas systems. Midlength seems most common on 18" barrels, but rifle length isn't unheard of. Longer barrels are typically rifle length systems.
      Drifter

Comment

With a 16" Grendel, the mid-length gas is preferred for shooting a wider range of bullet weights and charge weights. Carbine gas is more appropriate for SBR's.

Comment

• Snake Reaper

I also have another question. I am new to the ar platform, i usely shoot shigle shots an dbolt gun. So here isthe question. Whats the differnce if any in mid lenght gas system and rifle lenght gas sytem. If any.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Rifle length gas system is longer versus midlength. The gas port is further down the barrel. The distance between the gas port and bolt carrier is greater on a rifle length system.

Weapon runs smoother with a longer gas system. But too short, and reliable function is sacrificed. Thus, preference is often the longest system that the weapon will reliably function with.

Generally speaking, longer barrels can use longer gas systems. Shorter barrels require shorter systems.

If you still want a 24" barrel, a rifle length gas system is very likely all that you'll find, as the weapon probably wouldn't be reliable with a shorter system.
            Drifter

Comment

• Snake Reaper

Ok i have another one is there any benefit to have a 20in barrel or 24 in Wich do yall prefer for long range hunting. Beside ease of carry and portability. How much gain will i actually with the 24 in grindel barrel..

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I think there's some data comparing velocity difference between barrel lengths on the Alexander Arms website.

Basically, I think the difference amounts to ~20 fps per inch.

24" makes for a nice bench rifle, but 20" is usually the longest that most hunters want, and some go even shorter.
                Drifter

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                  I think there's some data comparing velocity difference between barrel lengths on the Alexander Arms website.

Basically, I think the difference amounts to ~20 fps per inch.

24" makes for a nice bench rifle, but 20" is usually the longest that most hunters want, and some go even shorter.
                  yes its figured between 20-25 fps per inch of barrel. 18" would be a good hunter and even further ranges then one would think. with a 24" barrel you will need the rifle length gas for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X