• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Grendel Warrior's Shoot at the NRA WC!!

Well, the polls are closed and it's pretty clear (9-0) that everyone wants the NRA WC in Raton, NM. So I've been in contact with them, and they have an opening we can use the week of Oct. 8th, 2018. They might not be open on Weekends that time of year according to their chef... so I'm proposing the following setup:

Summary of what I need from you now:
    1. Head count on who's going. You can bring along spouse/friends etc of course, extra chow will be your costs.
    2. Lodging prefs
    3. Comments on the proposed program agenda.
    4. Fees: Range fees ($15/day/shooter), maybe an entry fee (nominal esp if we reserve a classroom), food (pay to the WC), lodging (pay to the WC). IF you're a member of the WC (not just the NRA) then your range fees will be IAW your membership.

Read on !!!

1. Dates: 2 days, Oct 10-11. We will book and use the High Power Silhouette Range (range 24C if I'm not mistaken). I think I can the range probably closed to everyone else so we'd have it to ourselves. I'm setting the start so that I can get there a day or 2 early and make sure everything is good to go.

We should have a group of 10-20 shooters. I need a head count.

O, and their Exec Director is a Grendel fan!! So I invited him to shoot with us.

2. Food: We'll use their dining facility in the shotgun building, they do a breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets with lots to eat, all home-cooked, for $37.50 per day per person. We aren't a big enough group for them to do concessions... but we can byo or see what they have there outside of mealtime. No alcohol in, on, or around the range!!

3. Lodging: 2-days 3 nights. we need to reserve some spaces, they have lots of choices from cabins to "competitors" cabins, to RV and even camp sites. I need to know what everyone will do so I can talk with their Program Director. I'm probably going to go for a founder's cabin b/c of back issues, but if a bunch wants to do that competitors cabin that's a great setup.

4. Agenda: this is what I'm penciling out, let me have any comments or suggestions. Remember I'm trying to keep it a bit modest for this first get-together, I expect we can expand it once we get this one under our belt.
    Note: All NRA WC rules and regulations apply!
    a. Might want to arrive Day 0, Tues Evening.
    b. Day 1, Weds, Oct 11
    -----i. Breakfast, 07:30 +/-
    -----ii. 08:30 – 9:30 AM, meet at range 24C, 100 yd sight in and practice out to (far as you want).
    -----iii. 9:30 – 11:30, 300 yd shoot
    -----iv. 12:00-1:00 lunch
    -----v. 2:00 – 3:00 pm, Informal topic on 6.5 and shooting
    -----vi. 3:00 – 5:00 “Finals”, 300 yd
    -----vii. 6:00 dinner, welcome, speaker
    c. Day 2, Thursday, Oct 12
    -----i. Breakfast, 07:30 +/-
    -----ii. 09:00 – 11:00 AM, meet at range 24C, 600 yd shoot
    -----iii. 12:00-1:30 lunch
    -----iv. 2:00 – 3:00 pm, Informal topic on 6.5 and shooting
    -----v. 3:00 – 5:00 “Finals”, 600 yd; 1000 yd tie-breaker if necessary
    -----vi. 6:00 dinner, “awards” (IF I can scrounge up some sponsors!!!), speaker
    d. Day 3: depart or you’re on your own.
    Last edited by grayfox; 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I'd probably be in. I can't think of any hunting seasons interfering and Raton isn't that much of a drive (except for that damn panhandle). I'd be looking for a cabin, since I don't have an RV and I'm not a bit interested in tent camping any more. My lovely bride may or may not attend.

Comment

• DB13
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2013

I'm in-I live fairly close, I go to the Whittington Center a couple of time a year. There a 4 levels of lodging- 2 suites (they are really nice) for $150/night, Founders Cabins that sleep 2 with a private bath and common area with a shared kitchen ($65/night) per room and Competitor housing 2 people per room with non-private shower ($45/night). There are also primitive cabin and 2 RV parks. I recommend visiting the website www.NRAWC.org. The setting is absolutely beautiful--the best range facilities I've seen. There is also the opportunity to shoot the "White Buffalo" at 1123 yds from the large bore sil range-- then you can buy the t-shirt and firearms from the gift shop (no sales Tax).

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Barring unforeseen circumstances, StoneHendge is in. That's the onset of the off season so his trusty companion will likely be in tow (they have a few pet rooms) as camping / p-dogging will likely proceed/follow. As we get closer we can look at a tack on for any interested, but pray for at least average rainfall for the summer. Stage 2 firebans are already in effect in much of NM (you're not allowed to drive off-road).
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Ratz. Weekends are all I can accommodate, this year. My surgery ate up all my vacation time. Next time around, perhaps?

October is really late for p-dogs in Northern NM. I'd be interested to know what Stonehenge has in mind.
          Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-16-2018, 12:42 AM.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post

October is really late for p-dogs in Northern NM. I'd be interested to know what Stonehenge has in mind.
            You have the ones that hibernate down there?
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

That is Crunch time for me at work, trying to get projects finished before the snows come in.

I will try to get the time off, as well as seeing if the GF and her two daughters can get out of school - I'll bring my clan.

Shame. They have the Sporting Rifle Match range shut down after the September match. Hunting area.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Who else is in? We need 10 minimum to make this a go......
                Otherwise we can look at something next year.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                  You have the ones that hibernate down there?
                  Oh, yes. They go down for approximately 4-5 months, even in Central NM. We see them in late March / Early April. Remember - this is high altitude, with overnight temps well below freezing in October.

Don't the ones in CO hibernate, as well?
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Oh, yes. They go down for approximately 4-5 months, even in Central NM. We see them in late March / Early April. Remember - this is high altitude, with overnight temps well below freezing in October.

Don't want to hijack (but I guess I will anyway) I was told today that there are some shootable feral hogs in SE NM. I was under the impression that they'd been wiped out.
                    I built my Grendel and just bought a 10mm 1911 for hog hunting but thought I'd have to go to Texas, maybe not.
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      Who else is in? We need 10 minimum to make this a go......
                      Otherwise we can look at something next year.
                      I'd swear I responded to this...maybe I hit cancel? Brain fart.

I'm in and thank you for organizing this and giving me time to save up the money and ammo.
                      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                        Don't want to hijack (but I guess I will anyway) I was told today that there are some shootable feral hogs in SE NM. I was under the impression that they'd been wiped out.
                        I built my Grendel and just bought a 10mm 1911 for hog hunting but thought I'd have to go to Texas, maybe not.
                        Hmmm.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

I presume the ones on the high plains to the west of me do, but the ones down in the plains don't. With the mild winter last year, they were taunting me all winter along Pena Blvd (the DIA access road) whenever the sun was out. And they were out in mid Oct in CO about 2 hours NE from Raton last year. I think the altitude there is about 4500. I wonder if the nonhibernators are over by Clayton or in the Rita Bianca. It's about 5000 asl over there....
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                            I presume the ones on the high plains to the west of me do, but the ones down in the plains don't. With the mild winter last year, they were taunting me all winter along Pena Blvd (the DIA access road) whenever the sun was out. And they were out in mid Oct in CO about 2 hours NE from Raton last year. I think the altitude there is about 4500. I wonder if the nonhibernators are over by Clayton or in the Rita Bianca. It's about 5000 asl over there....
                            Sounds like a call to a local guide is in order...

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

GF:

I am uncertain if you are only considering dates where the kitchen is open, but consider this suggestion - Bring your own grub and save a buck. This would open other dates when catering is unavailable.

Some men from church and I have stayed there in a cabin with a full kitchen. We provided for and cooked all our own meals for significantly less than catered. Surely, some among us are willing to run a grill...

Comment

Working...
                              X