CZ 527 Varmint MTR 6.5 Grendel has landed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PGW Steve
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

CZ 527 Varmint MTR 6.5 Grendel has landed!

I'm now to the Grendel club with a 527 American I picked up last fall here in Canada. I had changed out the stock to a Boyd's Heritage with a LH cheek piece. I've done limited shooting with it, but it has shown to be a sub MOA rifle with the handloads I've tried so far. What I found most limiting, is the barrel is a pretty skinny contour with that fairly large 6.5mm hole in it.

When I saw the MTR version available, I knew this was where I wanted to go, I like fat barrels. Being a lefty, rifles that are built for RH shooters can be hit and miss as far as comfort. Rifles with a rollover cheek piece like a 1712 Anschutz is a no go at all. Some rifles have a fairly sharp surface so shooting 'backwards' can be painful. The MTR stock looked to be workable in the cheek department, but I'd lose out on the ergos of the grip and thumb area. The rifle feels great right handed, and I'll have no problems shooting it as a lefty.

The trigger is NOT a set trigger like my other 527's, but is adjustable from 2.2-4.5 pounds, out of the box it was at 4 pounds and crisp. I did a quick bedding test with the screws and it didn't exhibit and extreme torque, I'll pillar bed it this weekend after an out of the box test. The barrel is 25.6" long and measures .860" at the muzzle. Muzzle threads are M18-1.

I changed the screws to J&P hexes and installed a DIP rail and dropped a 6-24 Bushnell Engage onto it. As pictured with the scope and bipod, it's 11lbs 4oz.

My plan is to shoot some Federal GMM 130 OTM's for a baseline, bed it and then shoot again with FGMM and some handloads.

Better pics of these on the net, but here it is on a dirty couch.....

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting looks good, let us know how it shoots

Comment

• nockhunter
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

I love it, and it has a barrel length befitting such a fine cartridge. Waiting for it to be offered her in the states.

Mike

Comment

• PGW Steve
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        Thanks for posting looks good, let us know how it shoots
        First rounds downrange tomorrow later in the day and I'll be sure to share.

Originally posted by nockhunter View Post
        I love it, and it has a barrel length befitting such a fine cartridge. Waiting for it to be offered her in the states.

Mike
        I've got an American with a 24" barrel so I'm interested to see the net gains. I hope CZ USA sees the light and brings these in for you down there. Make inquiries and perhaps they'll notice. The long barrel and small case should make this a very friendly rifle for a new shooter with less bark and bite. My lady friend is a great shot with a .22 and has been asking about shooting farther.

Comment

• jkingrph
          Warrior
          • Aug 2014

It looks like it would be a good bench or prone rifle, but honestly the stock does nothing for me. I guess I like more classic looking configurations, although I would have liked a slightly heavier barrel on my 527 American, maybe make it more of a heavy sporter.
          Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Feral
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2018

Steve, who is selling CZ's in 6.5 Grendel up here in Canada?
            I have checked out several online dealers and haven't found one yet..
            Thanks

Comment

• Sinclair
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by nockhunter View Post

Mike
              Contact WT's Guns, Goldsboro, NC, 919-735-4441, they had one for sale. By the way it is the American version, the barrel threads are 5/8 x 24, I know I checked.
              Last edited by Sinclair; 05-21-2018, 08:42 PM.
              "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
              Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
              Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• PGW Steve
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Feral View Post
                Steve, who is selling CZ's in 6.5 Grendel up here in Canada?
                I have checked out several online dealers and haven't found one yet..
                Thanks
                I got both my American and Varmint MTR 6.5 Grendels from Prophet River. I see they have one American and two of the MTR's in stock on their site.

I did the shooting and bedding on the MTR this weekend, report to follow later tonight. Coles notes is it's a keeper! Before bedding it was a 1 moa rifle with factory, after about 3/4. Handloads are in the 1/2" range.

Comment

• Feral
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2018

Thanks Steve, I'll pass that info on to a friend of mine who is looking for a CZ in 7.62X39..
                  I'm thinking he might like a 6.5 Grendel more and I will get to shoot it..
                  >grin<

Comment

• PGW Steve
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

Rifle

Prior to bedding, I shot a couple of groups with the Federal Gold Medal 130 Berger and it was right around 1moa. I shot a few leftover 123 Scenar loads from my 527 American with 31.1 CFE and it was about .9". I was incorrect in my initial assessment, the bedding did have some stress from the factory. The stock would climb about 3/32" when the front screw was loosened.

I made pillars up .005" longer than the minimum distance between the bottom metal and the receiver so there would be no contact. I've done 3 other 527's like this and the results were excellent. I wrapped tape around the barrel to center it side to side, and then used a small shim under the barrel to keep the correct height. I first glued the pillars into the stock and let it set up. I then used a dremel to relieve in the front area, I don't bother with a back is there isn't much surface anyway and my pillar does the job back there. I also bed 1.5" of the barrel channel. I used Marine Tex and ended up with no stress with both screws at 40 in-lbs after curing and cleanup.

After bedding, I shot it with the FGM and it gave me mixed results. The first 5 shot group was 1.18", and then three shots went into .588"...so that 'test' was a fail. My 527 American doesn't like the FGM 130's either.

I didn't have much time to dedicate to the 6.5 Grendel as I was playing around with a new 6.5x47 Coyote......mmmmmmm..... That and a bunch of yard work.

I recently did some loads with the 123 Scenar and 8208XBR for my American, and not seeing any pressure signs, thought I'd roll the dice and try that combo in the MTR. Primers looked good, no other ejector marks or sticky bolt lift. The charges were ~28.5gr as thrown by a small chamber RCBS Uniflow. As you can see in the pics (shot when I was developing for a .223), I can throw powder and seat the bullet and shoot. I started doing this 25 years ago, I'd go to the range with primed brass and charts that I made based on what my measure would throw at a setting. I'd have a safe range to work in, say from .45-.6 with .005 being about .25 grains. I throw by volume and when I find my sweet spot at the range, I then throw ten charges into the same pan, weigh it and calculate the average charge. I then use that value when throwing/weighing/trickling actual ammo. This system works for me and allows me to cut down on preloading a pile of crap and having to pull bullets. I can load one shot, read the velocity and primer and then advance to my goal quickly. When I'm getting close to where I want to be, I'll start with 3 shots and start to explore seating depths. Having said all of this, I haven't put any effort into tuning the load for the 527 MTR. I picked the charge, left the bullet length alone and did a little experiment with primers....I neglected to test some BR-4's I forgot about.

So here is the story in pics, load data is on the target. After the first 3 shot group, I moved left three 1/8moa clicks. Interestingly, all 18 shots were within the 1" box, if you consider the 3/8moa correction. The velocities and SD are there too.

Target

Loading set up

Loading and shooting bench

Now that I have a baseline with the 527 Varmint MTR, I am going to dedicate some time to tuning the load further. The throat is quite long, for most match bullets I'd need a 2.35" OAL or longer to touch the lands. The 108 Scenar will be able to hit the lands at magazine length so I'm going to try that one as well. I noticed that my American and the MTR have throats within .005". I have three 527's in .223 and all the throats are within .005" as well.

Comment

• PGW Steve
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

More pics, I see there is a limit of 4 per post....

Shooting port and 527 American 6.5 Grendel

Shack with tire 'suppressor'...In Canada, private suppressor ownership is illegal. I wanted to put a bit of effort into cutting down on the blast to the surrounding neighbors, closest being 1/4 mile.

This shot shows the 'Two Box Chronograph'...an acoustic system that is 100% reliable in all conditions. I have a Labradar, but it doesn't work with the building. Once they come out with their Bluetooth app, then I should be back in the game.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Very neat set up. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Feral
                          Unwashed
                          • Mar 2018

Yes indeed, great write up..

Comment

• jkingrph
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

How well does that tire suppressor work. I have often thought of doing something similar, possibly with a rack of old tires 8-10 feet long.
                            Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• PGW Steve
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2017

Thanks VASCAR2 and Feral!

Originally posted by jkingrph View Post
                              How well does that tire suppressor work. I have often thought of doing something similar, possibly with a rack of old tires 8-10 feet long.
                              It makes a big thump instead of a crack. My neighbor that is 900 yards away to my 10 o'clock texted me and asked what I was shooting that day....said it was a bit louder than when I shoot my 17 HMR and sounded more like I hit a fence post with a sledge hammer. I'm going to continue to experiment with this concept and build a wooden box around the tires and stuff it with Roxul insulation. I've put scraps of Roxul in a fire pit and it won't burn. I did shoot through the tires without that 2"x8" slot in the plywood gate and it wasn't much fun. I can't say I'd shoot my .338 Lapua with a brake in it, I'll save that for the pit....Above mentioned neighbor has a shale pit 3 miles west and I have steel set up out to 800.

Comment

Working...
                              X