Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Where to find 9/16 -24 flash hiders?

Does anyone know a good source for 9/16 24 tpi flash hiders for our Grendel barrels? I dont want the A2 that Alexander Arms sells and VLTOR does have a nice A1 but its pricey... any other sources?

Brownells and Midway dont have much....

Thanks
  • Clod Stomper

Au contraire, Brownell's carries a very good flash suppressor.

Or if you want one in stainless, here you go. They're on sale for $50, too.

Will

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thanks. I looked using the "9/16 -24" search criteria and didnt get much back... I will do it again. stil looking for an A1 though..... dont like the Vortex: they get hung up in the bush.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming any .30 cal flash hider or muzzle brake would work for 6.5, right? Or do we need to get a 6.5 specific hider / brake?
        Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2011, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

It has to have right hand 9/16 24 threads.....

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Brownell's sells a version of the phantom with the jagged end (tactical) and Midway also had a couple of FS in 9/16 24.

Comment

• livelyxp100
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2011

J&T has 9/16-24 threaded flash hiders

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

One thing is certain; There arent many options available for the 9/16 24 right hand threaded barrel.... certainly nothing like the standard AR.

But i intend to do some experimenting (as i posted in another thread) , and re tap my own.

I really want the old A1 flash hider because although i understand the advantages of the A2 (in that it doesnt kick up dust), i think that the fact that its closed in the bottom must affect accuracy at the moment the bullet leaves the muzzle, since gas is not able to flow evenly in the flash hider like it can in the A1.

So i will play with a re tapped A1 and see what happens... will keep you informed.

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post

I really want the old A1 flash hider because although i understand the advantages of the A2 (in that it doesnt kick up dust), i think that the fact that its closed in the bottom must affect accuracy at the moment the bullet leaves the muzzle, since gas is not able to flow evenly in the flash hider like it can in the A1.
                  Perhaps it's a coincidence, but my best accuracy over the years always seems to come from barrels with the A2 FH. Maybe the A2 doesn't enhance accuracy, but it certainly doesn't seem detrimental to it. The exception would be if excessive torque is used during installation, but this would apply to any muzzle device.
                  Drifter

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Really???? Wow!!! That seems so counterintuitive.... i wish i could understand the physics behind that. I may just have to do a scientific study of various types of muzzle devices.....

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I think part of the equation is that the hole in the flash hider is appropriately sized in relation to bore size. (And, of course, that everything is concentric.)

The A2 FH's that AA sells for the Grendel will not degrade your accuracy (if properly installed).
                      Drifter

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

That begs the question.... just what is the proper hole size for the grendel??? I have always wondered why the flash hider hole on the AR is so much bigger than the bore... shouldnt it be about the same or maybe just a a hair larger???

So much to learn....

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Gene. Are you looking for a "flash hider" or a "muzzle Brake"? There is a big difference in engineering of these two devices. What are you wanting to achieve? Recoil reduction? Muzzle rise? Or simply to hide the flash?

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Recoil is really not an issue in the grendel... right? except maybe in full auto.

No, i just want a plain old flash hider. I love the simplicity and elegance of the A1. But they arent really made in grendel threads.... Vltor has the only one i know of but for 60 bucks instead of the 6 for the AR threaded ones...
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Gene,
                              Look at the L1A1 Flash higher it is threaded 9/16x24 RH vs the other FALs which are threaded 9/16x24 LH the L1A1 will needed to be Modified to fit but easy to do and has a cool factor look is based on the 30 cal so plenty big enough

(cost is cheap enough to buy two for say $50.00)

another source is Warped on here for custom work with brakes etc etc
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X