• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
    I wonder why bill choose the 9/16x24 and not use the common 5/8x24
    Knights Armament used a totally different thread, and they started making the SR25 before anyone else was making large bore AR's, other than Colt with the 7.62x39 Sporter in the 1980's.

KAC uses 3/4x24 on the SR25. Then the Clinton Assault Weapons ban went into effect in 1994, so only muzzle brakes could be installed on factory-new rifles for peasant consumption. Nobody really cared what thread pattern you had at that time.

Once the ban expired in 2004, the floodgates opened, and DPMS had started making guns at the end of the ban. They decided to use the 5/8x24 thread pattern. Since DPMS made the cheapest .308 AR on the market, people started buying them in droves.

AA started work on the Grendel before the ban expired, so there literally was no common thread pattern at the time. There's a detailed explanation of muzzle devices and thread pattern history in Volume II on pages 19-26, to include Flash Suppressors, Muzzle Brakes, and Sound Suppressors.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Steamburn
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Sorry to give life to another old thread, but my new finding is relevant:
      I was looking for an A1 style Flash Hider for my AA barrel and found it here:

Birdcage style flash hider available with 1/2-28 RH, 9/16-24 RH, and 1/2-36 RH threads to fit most ARs. This high quality part is 100% Made in USA and finished in black oxide. Slotted all the way around (6 slots). Length: 1.750 inches.

I like A1 FH because they distribute the ball of gases around evenly and most important, you don't have to torque them to achieve the correct timing like the A2; hand tight is enough with the A1.
      My main purpose to use one is to protect the barrel crown and to not be a hindrance to cleaning.

Comment

• Dpr64
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

I am also looking for a good 9/16 x 24 brake that will cut down on recoil.. What is out there in the market as of today? Lots of names tossed around but this thread is old and many do not exist or make the 9/16 x 24 in a 6.5 cal.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Alexander arms had a couple different ones

Comment

• Dpr64
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
            Alexander arms had a couple different ones
            I saw those when I ordered my barrel a while back.. If you had to choose, would the WCI or the Millennium have better abilities to reduce recoil?

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

When i called them around a year ago to ask which muzzle device reduced the most recoil they told me the millennium compensator but I'm not sure they had the wci brake when i ordered. I have the millennium compensator and an adjustable gas block and i could shoot the grendel all day as its very enjoyable.

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dpr64 View Post
                I am also looking for a good 9/16 x 24 brake that will cut down on recoil.. What is out there in the market as of today? Lots of names tossed around but this thread is old and many do not exist or make the 9/16 x 24 in a 6.5 cal.
                I saw a test of a bunch of brakes a couple years ago, and the Precision Firearms LMD ended up pretty close to the top.

Precision Firearms LMD Brake LMD- Level Muzzle Device for Normal Standard .740 Diameter Barrels. Typical AR Barrel. Tapered Muzzle end is .725". Large Diameter is .990". Length is 2 inches. This is our own in house machined Billet brake. Made from 416 Stainless. 11 Degree Target Crown. Top ports are off center to help with countering barrel torque. Includes Shim kit. Available in: For 223 Caliber - 1/2x28 For 224 Valkyrie Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber -9/16x24 For 308 Caliber - 5/8x24 Cerakoted Stainless + $15 Phalanx (Black Nitride) +$10 Bead Blasted +$5

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

flea-bay has a few 9/16-24 FH and brakes at times very inexpensively.

most of my barrels have the 9/16-24 threads and so far they haven't been too difficult to come by.

my 264 LBC and 7.62x39s are 5/8-24 that is all most 'common'.

Comment

• Lastrites
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

In need of muzzle break, Smith Enterprise as 6.5 for the 9/16x24 threading and it's only $55 :Good Iron model 1002-24

Comment

• LWP
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

Here's one more http://xtremehardcoregear.com/images...ZLE-BRAKES.jpg

Comment

• LWP
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

I've also purchased brakes from this location too, very pleasant to talk with on the phone. they will answer any and all questions, and a very good product for the price.https://harrellsprec.com/squirrelcar...store_logo.png

Comment

• LWP
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

I really like these http://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/2_Pie...med_Brakes.php but I,m not sure if they make it in 9/16x24"

Comment

Working...
                          X