330 lb Boar, 6 Hogs More, all with Speer TNT 90 gr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

330 lb Boar, 6 Hogs More, all with Speer TNT 90 gr.

This hunt was a series of fortuitous events that all strung together nicely. I was one field over and looking for hogs when I spied cattle(?) in the next field where there had been no cattle previously. Of course, they weren't cattle at all, but hogs. I drove down the several hundred yards to the property with the "cattle" and could see the hogs through the gate, moving in a line from right to left. I hurriedly got myself over the fence and then worked my gear over and started my stalk toward the hogs when I realized that they had turned direction slightly and were quartered toward me. More over, at least one hog had stopped to look in my direction and I figured I was busted. I got on my sticks with my rifle and was surprised to see that no alarm had been given and the hogs were continuing on as they had been. I picked the big white (in my scope, indicating it was cool, undoubtedly wet) hog first and dropped it and then methodically chose targets of opportunity. While this could have been one of those times where a higher volume of fire might have been productive, I am happy with the result of a lower volume of fire and and a higher percentage of good hits. All the hogs dropped quickly but one and it was summarily dropped with a second shot.

Finally, the field was clear of living hogs and I proceeded to locate the downed hogs in the dips and rolls of the terrain and knee high grass. I was using a phone app to mark the locations of downed hogs and scanning with my handheld with another group of hogs came in, apparently following the same line as the previous group. I managed to shoot a couple of them as well. By this time, I had lost track of how many hogs had been shot and I located those that I could and my buddy from up the road came in and helped me drag them to my truck (nice guy). It was only after getting home and reviewing the video that I realized I was short two hogs and had to return the next day and locate them. Dragging hogs is unpleasant. It is really unpleasant under the furnace of the summer sun. The closest hog was dragged just over 120 yards. The second GPS said was 263 yards. Never mind that they were getting bloated in the sun and did not want to drag through the grass, their outstretched and stiff legs catching in the vegetation as I went along. Still, I was super pleased by the over all result.

Here is the video. There is a necropsy of the 330 lb boar's wound after the credits. Images may not be be work or family friendly, FYI.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • va_connoisseur
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Great video, great shooting.

Did you put any of the meat in the freezer?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Great vid as always sir.

Very good trigger control.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

This was the best shooting clinic I’ve ever been to - what do I owe you ???

Comment

• CaptnC
          Warrior
          • May 2018

I subscribed to you channel a while back...missed this one some how...

I have not watched this one yet, but I really enjoy all of your videos!

Great job...can't wait to see the next one!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

From the hands of DNS
            delivers the continuous death
            the hordes of swine south
            a terrible infestation...

Through wizard eyes
            the night turns to day
            the reaper's scythe strikes
            like lightning in the night

Grendel cradled in his arms
            basques in squeals heard 'round
            for the moment to reign above
            fresh carcasses strewn about
            the grassy lands soak in blood of beasts....
            Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-28-2018, 07:22 PM.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Great video and wl done as usual. The other day I had a huge potbelly pig in my east pasture but could not get a shot on it because of neighboring cows, just didn't want to buy a neighbor's vow.

I would think that in this heat it would be hard to butcher a pig before it spoiled. Fannin County Texas

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

So you are still happy with the performance of the varmint bullets? That was impressive damage to that big boar.
                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Keep in mind the explosive performance of varmint bullets in 6.5mm are intended at much higher muzzle velocities from cartridges with more case capacity.

If you look across .260 Rem, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, .264 Win Mag, you'll see speeds ranging from 3150-3500fps with a 90gr TNT.

Your 100yd impact velocity from the slowest of them all is still over 2800fps, and often over 3000fps from the faster cartridges.

But at Grendel speeds, they behave more like a controlled expansion bullet where more core weight is retained and allowed to penetrate.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Too bad we don't have 'like' buttons here.

I think LRRPF52 may be on to something about the reduced velocity equating with more of controlled expansion than explosion, but the results inside numerous hogs taken out to 150 yards or so indicates to me that the expansion is fast and violent. The bullet doesn't hold together and the whole wound channel will be polluted with bits of lead and jacket and some of them will end up outside of the primary wound channel as well. What impresses me is the size of the wound channel when going through the chest region. If the bullet does not hit heavy bone such as the humerus or the vertebral centra (main bodies of the vertebrae), the bullet can make a golfball sized hole through much of the body and will often exit on the other side - not the whole bullet, but the base and maybe some pieces.

The bullet seems to overpenetrate hogs up to 150 lbs with regularity for broadside shots out to 150 yards or so (guesstimate). It will sometimes overpenetrate with similar shots out to around 200 yards. The sow that was double shot in the video was 140 lbs and both the shorter distance shot and the 185 yard shot overpenetrated. It can overpenetrate hogs as much as 200 lbs out over 100 yards, but this doesn't seem to be the norm.

Of course this is all ballpark assessments from memory. It is hard to control for many factors such as whether the shot just goes directly through broadside, whether it hits 0 ribs, 1 rib, or multiple ribs. Hitting the spine often stops the bullet, but cripples or kills the hog. Hitting the entry side humerus seems to preclude expansion and much of the bullet continues through as a solid. If the animal is quartered, then the bullet has much farther to go to over penetrate and so some failures to over penetrate may be a result of animal orientation, in part.

In all the animals that I have shot and examined for damage, I have never had a failure to expand unless it smashed through the entry side humerus first. So that pleases me about the round. I BELIEVE that more hogs are dropping quicker as a result of using this round, but I don't have any way to actually verify this.

Again, what I do like about using this round around livestock is that I am not worried that a pass thru shot is going to hurt a cow somewhere down range that I might have missed seeing. The low BC means that even with a shot that misses, the bullet is going to lose energy much faster than with my usual Hornady SST 123 gr. round and likely drop into the dirt before it gets too far down range.

I have made a few kills well beyond 200 yards, but not enough to really comment on bullet performance as the sample is small.

The bottom line for me is that this bullet/round seems to work very well for my shooting needs, doing a lot of damage, out to typical hog hunting distances where the goal is to kill depredating hogs. Most hunters aren't hunting hogs at over 200 yards with any regularity and this round performs well within that range. It works on large hogs and small hogs, even large hogs not shot in the head region. It seems to penetrate hog shields just fine. The real downsides are the more limited range of the round and that it pollutes the meat surrounding the wound channel with bits of lead and copper jacket, which may make it less than desirable for meat hunters.

And to be perfectly honest, I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the notion that this bullet works as well as it does for hogs.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                      Too bad we don't have 'like' buttons here.

I think LRRPF52 may be on to something about the reduced velocity equating with more of controlled expansion than explosion, but the results inside numerous hogs taken out to 150 yards or so indicates to me that the expansion is fast and violent. The bullet doesn't hold together and the whole wound channel will be polluted with bits of lead and jacket and some of them will end up outside of the primary wound channel as well. What impresses me is the size of the wound channel when going through the chest region. If the bullet does not hit heavy bone such as the humerus or the vertebral centra (main bodies of the vertebrae), the bullet can make a golfball sized hole through much of the body and will often exit on the other side - not the whole bullet, but the base and maybe some pieces.

The bullet seems to overpenetrate hogs up to 150 lbs with regularity for broadside shots out to 150 yards or so (guesstimate). It will sometimes overpenetrate with similar shots out to around 200 yards. The sow that was double shot in the video was 140 lbs and both the shorter distance shot and the 185 yard shot overpenetrated. It can overpenetrate hogs as much as 200 lbs out over 100 yards, but this doesn't seem to be the norm.

Of course this is all ballpark assessments from memory. It is hard to control for many factors such as whether the shot just goes directly through broadside, whether it hits 0 ribs, 1 rib, or multiple ribs. Hitting the spine often stops the bullet, but cripples or kills the hog. Hitting the entry side humerus seems to preclude expansion and much of the bullet continues through as a solid. If the animal is quartered, then the bullet has much farther to go to over penetrate and so some failures to over penetrate may be a result of animal orientation, in part.

In all the animals that I have shot and examined for damage, I have never had a failure to expand unless it smashed through the entry side humerus first. So that pleases me about the round. I BELIEVE that more hogs are dropping quicker as a result of using this round, but I don't have any way to actually verify this.

Again, what I do like about using this round around livestock is that I am not worried that a pass thru shot is going to hurt a cow somewhere down range that I might have missed seeing. The low BC means that even with a shot that misses, the bullet is going to lose energy much faster than with my usual Hornady SST 123 gr. round and likely drop into the dirt before it gets too far down range.

I have made a few kills well beyond 200 yards, but not enough to really comment on bullet performance as the sample is small.

The bottom line for me is that this bullet/round seems to work very well for my shooting needs, doing a lot of damage, out to typical hog hunting distances where the goal is to kill depredating hogs. Most hunters aren't hunting hogs at over 200 yards with any regularity and this round performs well within that range. It works on large hogs and small hogs, even large hogs not shot in the head region. It seems to penetrate hog shields just fine. The real downsides are the more limited range of the round and that it pollutes the meat surrounding the wound channel with bits of lead and copper jacket, which may make it less than desirable for meat hunters.

And to be perfectly honest, I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the notion that this bullet works as well as it does for hogs.
                      Nice job and good info DNS.

Makes me wonder how this bullet will react on our smaller southern deer if hit in the vitals 200 yards are less and goes in without hitting leg bone are shoulder bone.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Nice job and good info DNS.

Makes me wonder how this bullet will react on our smaller southern deer if hit in the vitals 200 yards are less and goes in without hitting leg bone are shoulder bone.
                        Did you watch the necropsy? It passed through the plate, vitals, hit bone, and still passed through or penetrated the mandible on the off-side.

6.5 Grendel behaves similarly to a 250-3000 Savage, from all I can ascertain.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Etijsma
                          Unwashed
                          • May 2018

What is this phone app you speak of?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            Did you watch the necropsy? It passed through the plate, vitals, hit bone, and still passed through or penetrated the mandible on the off-side.

6.5 Grendel behaves similarly to a 250-3000 Savage, from all I can ascertain.
                            No i didnt watch it his vids play kind of slow on my phone so once i hit the credits i backed out the vid.

It's when he post them hear it plays slow but when I get the vid in my inbox from his YouTube site it plays straight through without a problem.

Anyways I may try a small doe this winter with the 90 tnt, close range shoot under 100, that way if it goes bad I got plenty of time to put her down with a follow up shot.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Etijsma View Post
                              What is this phone app you speak of?
                              I use a couple, but the primary one I use is a freebie for the Android called Measure Map Lite.

The 2nd that I sometimes use is also free and is called Compass Coordinate.

While these work for me, I am always open to suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X