• Aknv
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel Accuracy

• Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Welcome!

Generally the Howa shoots very well. How are you supporting the rifle? My groups were drastically effected by how I was supporting it, especially with the factory stock. Use sand bags under the front action screw and see how that does. Also, the Hornady ELD-M tend to shoot better in the Howa than most factory ammo. Each barrel is different, but that is what I have noticed. What is the trigger pull set at? My best groups came after adjusting it all the way down. Some guys even lighten it up from there.

EDIT: I can usually get 1" groups at 100 yards with factory 123 grain Hormady SST or ELD-M ammo. Not always, but typically.
    Last edited by Frontier Gear; 10-29-2018, 07:02 PM.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Aknv
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2017

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried shooting off a bag front and rear and off a bipod with a rear bag. It doesn’t seem to make a difference. I have shot 80 rounds of both the Hornady SST 123gr and the ELD 123gr ( Black) , tried a box of federal gold metal match with Berger 130gr and the group opened up to 2.0” @ 100 yards. Checked action screws too and retorque to 50 inch pounds. As far as the trigger goes I measure it at 3.5lbs consistently , I have not made any trigger adjustments. I’m just not sure what else I should try.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Boy that is frustrating and expensive. 1.5" isn't bad, but it's not great either. Not much else to check other than the basics. Does it group better before the barrel heats up?
        • Check the scope and mount
        • Take the whole thing apart and make sure nothing on the stock is contacting the barrel
        • Have someone else (with proven shooting skills) try shooting it
        • Try working up some hand loads
        • Sell it and buy one from here that is known to work. I think that Sticks (or somebody) was selling one of his that was proven.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Aknv
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2017

Yeah it frustrating for sure. But I think your on to something with the stock it’s pretty flexible and does make some contact with the barrel. So I’ll look into that avenue.POI doesn’t seem to shift too much when the barrel heats up but then again I don’t get it hot, I’ll shoot a string of 3-5 rounds and let the barrel cool for about 5 mins to try to remove that part of the equation. I have emailed Legacy Sports International to see what they say about the rifle. But in the meantime I’ll break it down again and double check everything. Thanks for the help

Comment

• Sinclair
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Hi Aknv and welcome, you need to take yourself out of the equation. A shooting rest, even a cardboard box filled with sand bags to lock the stock in place might help. Nothing and I mean nothing can touch the barrel. I feel your pain, I am old, my eyes play tricks on me, and my hands shake. The best that I can do is 1 1/4 MOA groups with a rifle others are getting sub 1/2 MOA! Perceiver, and be patient, shooting is as much mental as physical. If you go into a session frustrated and nervous you are two strikes down before you ever fire a shot. Oh, and best of luck at sorting this all out.
            "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
            Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

I have one in a LSS chassis (up for adoption) that prints .5 MOA groups with factory 123 ELD ammo and my reloads.

Girlfriend and two daughters have one each, and they get .7" groups with factory 123 ELD and American Gunner 123. Two have been fitted into Boyds AT1 stocks, and the other is in an HCR chassis.

4 Howa bolt actions here and all do sub MOA.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Javman
                Warrior
                • Jan 2016

You need to try experimenting with OAL of the ammo. I had the same issue with my RAP. It would shoot ok so I measured the jump to the lands and started there. It made a big difference. I used an inertia bullet pulled on factory ammo and used my reloading sitting die to adjust the OAL with different factory ammo and was able to hit the sweet spot with each brand of ammo. Now of course I only have tried it with Federal and Hornady factory ammo, non of the cheap Wolf ammo. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Msalm
                  Warrior
                  • May 2018

A friend of mine had appreciable improvement after bedding his factory stock. Went from around 1 1/4 MOA to just over 1/2.

Comment

• Aknv
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Javman View Post
                    You need to try experimenting with OAL of the ammo. I had the same issue with my RAP. It would shoot ok so I measured the jump to the lands and started there. It made a big difference. I used an inertia bullet pulled on factory ammo and used my reloading sitting die to adjust the OAL with different factory ammo and was able to hit the sweet spot with each brand of ammo. Now of course I only have tried it with Federal and Hornady factory ammo, non of the cheap Wolf ammo. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight. Where you able to feed via magazine or single round into the chamber ? With the OAL .
                    Last edited by Aknv; 10-31-2018, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Aknv
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

All great information I appreciate it

Comment

• neon77
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2017

123 AMax, 26,2 gr N133. No load tuning, bullet set as far out as the magazine accepts.
                        Original stock, shot from bipod on icy bench.
                        0,55 moa @ 100m

Target_rev.jpg

Comment

• Javman
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2016

Some are able to feed from the magazine, the only one that was a tad long was the Federal Fusion 120s.

Comment

• Aknv
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2017

Quick update > I spoke to LSI and they are going to replace the stock under warranty , they seem to think that the wrong stock was shipped with my #6 contour barrel. This may be the reason why the barrel is making contact with the forend and adversely affecting accuracy of the rifle. fingers crossed

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

Good to hear. I hope that you have found the problem, and am glad that LSI is being responsive.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X