Shooting Prone with a sling, a fading art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Prone with a sling, a fading art

I just thought I would share some thoughts on this subject as it seems to me that the sling is nearly a thing of the past.
    I've been working on developing my prone skills using a 6.5 Grendel that I built a couple of years ago using a Panda action, McMillan prone stock, and Krieger barrel.
    The gun and loads will consistently shoot in the teens from a bench so I know without doubt, any shots out of the X ring are mine.

As I've developed these skills and had the privilege of shooting along side some much more capable riflemen, it occurred to me than most rifle men don't even get a chance to see or understand the capability that a simple piece of cow hide can bring to the party. Of course that piece of cow hide alone does little but when combined with a solid understanding of how to build a position a whole new world of accuracy can be entered.

Yesterday I went to the range to compete in our monthly any/any prone match. This match is shot on the MR-31 target which is the 600 yard MR target scaled for use at 100 yards. It is actually a little tougher than the full size 600 yard target because the scoring rings are further reduced by half the diameter of a .308 bullet The national records reflect this accordingly, The record for the full 600 yards is 200-19X and for the 100 yard reduced it is 200-18X.

Anyway, I arrived for the match only to discover that I was a week ahead of schedule, the match is next week. So, I made the best of it and shot a practice match, a 50 shot match with unlimited sighters followed by a ten shot stage and then two 20 shot stages without additional sighters. The 20 shot stages are actually two ten shot stages shot on two targets, ten shots each. My scores were 100-8X, 100-8X, 100-8X, 100-8X and 100-9X for an aggregate of 500-41X. Occasionally this would be good enough to win the match but usually it takes 500-44 or 45X.

The interesting thing is that last string of ten shots found me with 9 shots and 9X's, all I had to do is break one more shot in the X to shoot my first ever 100-10X but you already know how that went.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM.

nice, one thing I want to practice more is standing shooting, sitting and laying is too much help.

Comment

I agree that shooting from a sling is a lost art but I believe one that should be resurrected. Prone bipod is great but is more a testamont to the equipment than the shooter. Improvised position shooting makes you a better shooter. K

Comment

I actually got to use my offhand skills last month in Montana other than on the shooting range. I shoot across the course in which the first stage is 200 yard standing at the SR target, a 7" 10 ring and 3" X ring, I usually shoot in the low 190's for 20 shots and 96-98 for ten shots. Anyway there was this coyote that I would see cross this field about 200 yards away very time I sat this one trees stand. So after I had filled all my archery deer tags, I took my AR to the stand. Sure enough just like clock work the coyote came trotting across the field. I whistled, he stopped, and I shot him off hand at 224 yards according to my laser range finder.
        Worked like it's supposed to.
        Bob
        Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM. Reason: corrected dimension

Comment

Shooting prone from a sing has helped me to understand shooting from a bench rest or bipod better also. Because the natural point of aim is so critical that it requires detailed attention when shooting from a sling. That attention to detail then pays off when shooting from other positions or bench rest or bipod. So, I think it is an important skill to overall rifle marksmanship.
          Bob

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
            I just thought I would share some thoughts on this subject as it seems to me that the sling is nearly a thing of the past.
            I've been working on developing my prone skills using a 6.5 Grendel that I built a couple of years ago using a Panda action, McMillan prone stock, and Krieger barrel.
            The gun and loads will consistently shoot in the teens from a bench so I know without doubt, any shots out of the X ring are mine.

As I've developed these skills and had the privilege of shooting along side some much more capable riflemen, it occurred to me than most rifle men don't even get a chance to see or understand the capability that a simple piece of cow hide can bring to the party. Of course that piece of cow hide alone does little but when combined with a solid understanding of how to build a position a whole new world of accuracy can be entered.

Yesterday I went to the range to compete in our monthly any/any prone match. This match is shot on the MR-31 target which is the 600 yard MR target scaled for use at 100 yards. It is actually a little tougher than the full size 600 yard target because the scoring rings are further reduced by half the diameter of a .308 bullet The national records reflect this accordingly, The record for the full 600 yards is 200-19X and for the 100 yard reduced it is 200-18X.

Anyway, I arrived for the match only to discover that I was a week ahead of schedule, the match is next week. So, I made the best of it and shot a practice match, a 50 shot match with unlimited sighters followed by a ten shot stage and then two 20 shot stages without additional sighters. The 20 shot stages are actually two ten shot stages shot on two targets, ten shots each. My scores were 100-8X, 100-8X, 100-8X, 100-8X and 100-9X for an aggregate of 500-41X. Occasionally this would be good enough to win the match but usually it takes 500-44 or 45X.

The interesting thing is that last string of ten shots found me with 9 shots and 9X's, all I had to do is break one more shot in the X to shoot my first ever 100-10X but you already know how that went.
            Bob:

Those scores at a 100 reduced target are remarkable. That is about as good as a guy can get and is no doubt highly competitive at the top end. That 600 reduced to 100 yard target is a real tough one to shoot those scores. When you think about it, your rifle must hold under a half minute and you better hold just as well. A very difficult target and you are certainly doing your part exceptionally well.

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Shooting prone from a sing has helped me to understand shooting from a bench rest or bipod better also. Because the natural point of aim is so critical that it requires detailed attention when shooting from a sling. That attention to detail then pays off when shooting from other positions or bench rest or bipod. So, I think it is an important skill to overall rifle marksmanship.
              Bob
              Bob:

OK -- so give some advice to guys who may want to set their Grendel blasters up with a sling. Type of sling, stock lengths, swivels that won't get ripped out of the forend, how to adjust, how the sling effects the position., etc.

Shooting with a sling may not be something guys think is practical but it certainly is fun and really does add to the skills and knowledge set.

LR55

Comment

I have done my share of strapping into a coat and shooting Across the Course and Prone at 600 yards with a service and match AR. I also shoot a .223 bolt in FTR. My persoanl observations are the sling makes you a better position/NPA/mechanics shooter and FTR teaches you to read the wind/mirage better. For those that may not know, the Prone X-ring at 600 yards is 6". The FTR X-ring is 3".
                Many of the really good F-open and TR guys I have been around transitioned from prone. I highly recommend people trying it.

Comment

Hi LR, how have you been?
                  I'll try to give some basic advice beginning with the most basic, for an AR make sure your sling is attached to the float tube and not the barrel. You really don't want to bend that barrel down and to the left like it does with a standard A2, so if you have a traditional AR in A2 or A4 format or one of the AA hunters, you will need to install a free float tube under the hand guards. Several people make these, such as bushmaster, Rock River Arms and so on, but the one that is used most frequently at the national matches for service rifle applications is this one http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=256&page=1
                  If you have a longer barreled rig one of the match rifle float tubes works real well and comes with a rail slot that accepts an Anschutz hand stop with a sling loop attached. Several of my friends shoot this one, including the guy that always beets me http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=256&page=1
                  Then you need a good sling, a good one doesn't mean it costs a lot of money, some of the national champions use a simple GI cotton sling, I'll get into how to rig it later. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...Web_Sling.html
                  I personally use a Les Tam leather sling for my service rifle but there is a wait list of up to a year to get one, so my recommendation would be a Ron Brown, who studied under Les and uses the same materials. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...g-RBSLING.html
                  For match rifle applications the Tubb sling gets the job done just fine http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...FLE_SLING.html
                  It helps to have a good shooting jacket and mat with non slip rubber facing but those are not mandatory, a shooting glove also helps take some bite out of the sling pressure but again you can use even an oven mitt to get started.
                  Initially the prone position with a sling seems very uncomfortable but once you establish the proper position you will be able to lay there comfortably for a long time and even doze off.
                  The critical element of the proper use of a sling in the prone position is that all the tension in the muscles of your non firing hand be transferred to the sling, your arm must be totally relaxed. Next you move your body behind your belt line only to align the rifle to the exact center of your target, this is called the natural point of aim, you can check it by removing your firing hand from the rifle and verifying that the rifle is still pointed at the center of the target. Verify again by closing your eyes, checking that all tension is removed from every muscle in your non firing hand and arm, open your eyes and verify the rifle is still pointed at the exact center of the target. As you breath in and out your sights should move from 6:00 to 12:00 only with no horizontal element of movement. If you have established your natural point of aim properly and execute a clean trigger release the shots will go on call. I pretty much can tell you where my shot is before I look through the scope after each shot, within an inch or less.
                  There is much more in depth information available from several books, let me know if anyone want's to follow up.
                  Here is how to set up a leather service rifle sling http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../usamu3-4.html
                  Here is some more information on setting up both a leather and cotton sling by Konrad Power who is a friend of mine and the winner of the Presidents match at the national matches this year. http://www.illinoishighpower.org/gen...SR%20Sling.pdf
                  Finally for the question that is sure to come, how do I attach my sling to my railed forearm? I suppose you could use something like this but I have no experience with it http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TWZHQ8/...SIN=B003TWZHQ8
                  Hope this helps someone.
                  Bob

Comment

Hi Rstewart,
                    It's good to see another fellow competitor on this site.
                    I can't argue that the feedback from F-Class is faster as you have eliminated some of the variables and can see the effects of wind alone more easily. But I don't think it is true in all cases. I was match director for the Florida state championship matches this year in which we had a combination midrange prone and F-Class championship shot concurrently. One of our shooters Jorge Puiganu shot a 1199-97X grand aggregate at 600 yards with a metallic sight rifle from a sling, in the course of doing so he shot a 200-20X in one of the matches to tie the current national record and then went on to shoot one more X before dropping one into the ten ring to set a new national record. His group beat all the F-open and F target rifle groups for that match with some pretty tricky fishtailing winds. I think in his case he would learn little from F-Class about wind doping and would be a fantastic F-Class shooter. But I agree with you, I would learn a lot. After I master service rifle I will move to shooting a match rifle across the course and then eventually plan on shooting F-Class as well. Those March scopes are pretty impressive.
                    Bob
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Hey Bob,
                      I agree there are exceptions to every rule and Jorge certainly fills that role. Here in Louisiana we have also had some outstanding shooters at out Regionals and State Championships. My only point was that shooting both prone and F-class can teach you to be a better marksman.
                      And all of your points about shooting prone are spot on. But, I was lucky, it only took me 6 months to get my sling from Les in 2009. But the time difference in calling Hawaii always messed me up.
                      I'll have to stick with my Nightforce scope for now. But March scopes are awesome!

Rick
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 02:42 AM.

Comment

I have found the VTAC Quick-Adjust slings to work the best for me in Sniper competitions, where you are required to wear appropriate gear in a 2-man team. I use it when there are seated position stages, and I was able to shoot tighter groups than any of the other teams along the line, who were trying to free shoot suppressed TRG's and other long guns with cans.

Since I spent a good part of my life laying in the prone in the cold, or on graveled rifle ranges with continuous recoil resonating through my elbows, I have extreme pain in them that hits me out of the blue often, and is not fun at all. Don't know if I'll ever be able to get into High Power as a result, but I'm interested. Any ideas other than good elbow pads in a jacket, and a shooting mat to help with this? I do enjoy shooting with irons.

Comment

They make some pads just for that purpose, you might want to give them a try. I used them for a while but after I got my position perfected, I found I no longer needed them. I don't remember what I did with them or I would just send them to you.
                          Birthplace of the Creedmoor cartridge, Creedmoor Sports has been serving the precision rifle shooting community for over 40 years. During that time, we have manufactured only the best products to give the dedicated shooter the confidence needed to win at every level of competition.

Bob

Comment

They make some pads just for that purpose, you might want to give them a try. I used them for a while but after I got my position perfected, I found I no longer needed them. I don't remember what I did with them or I would just send them to you.
                            Birthplace of the Creedmoor cartridge, Creedmoor Sports has been serving the precision rifle shooting community for over 40 years. During that time, we have manufactured only the best products to give the dedicated shooter the confidence needed to win at every level of competition.

Bob
                            Thanks for your offer anyway. I make all my own gear when I can, so something that simple wouldn't be difficult, I just haven't experienced much relief when using elbow pads before, but I do benefit from knee pads. All those years of taking a knee while wearing a 60-80lb ruck, security halt after security halt, took its toll on me.

Do you think you can shoot better with your Hi-Power prone positioning with the sling and glove, versus using a 30rd magazine as a monopod and your support hand managing the toe?

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              Thanks for your offer anyway. I make all my own gear when I can, so something that simple wouldn't be difficult, I just haven't experienced much relief when using elbow pads before, but I do benefit from knee pads. All those years of taking a knee while wearing a 60-80lb ruck, security halt after security halt, took its toll on me.

Do you think you can shoot better with your Hi-Power prone positioning with the sling and glove, versus using a 30rd magazine as a monopod and your support hand managing the toe?
                              LR52:

The answer will be 'yes'. A good prone sling position is extremely tight and can take recoil far better than using the magazine jammed into the ground position.

Problems with prone sling positions come from targets that are not on the same plane as the firing line. It doesn't take a target being too high or low compared to the firing line before your prone sling position can no longer adapt. Also, if your firing line is not relatively flat, you will have major problems with a position. Basically, using a sling in the prone is for High Power or Small Bore where the ranges are carefully made to ensure that the firing line does not interfere with performance.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
                              X