Shooting Prone with a sling, a fading art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definately the sling will win over a magazine jammed into the ground. It takes a long time to learn to use a sling properly but once you master it, you will be amazed at the accuracy that can be achieved. I've actually seen match rifle shooters who can group better from a sling than they can from a bench. Maybe they are just lousy shots from a bench.

As LR pointed out, a sling does have to be set up for a given angle of altitude to the target but is adjustable by lengthening or shorting the sling and sliding your non firing hand along the handguard for gross adjustment and by pulling your firing side leg in or out for fine andjustment. I have a Ching Sling on one of my Scout configurations rifles that is a cobination carrying sling and shooting sling. That was one of the priciples of Jeff Coopers "Students of the Rifle" to learn proper use of this type of sling. It was a hard concept to get across to people.
    To use a sling properly there must be no muscle tension in your non firing arm or hand. The sling must be the sole support of the rife, such that if you move your firing hand away from the rifle it does not move from the center of the target even a little. My Avatar is me in a sling position, notice my non firing hand is open and relaxed.
    Bob

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

We need the picure bigger!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        We need the picure bigger!
        Okay, here is a bigger picture, also here is a target I shot in the Any/Any match last week with the 6.5 Grendel Panda. This is my personal best so far 100-10X

Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

wow! I so need a similar rifle! Congrats!

Comment

I'll sell you this one if you want, as soon as I beat Tom Zeel, believe it or not he still beat me in this match with a 500-45X.
            Bob

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

WOW!! How close were you?

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

And I'm up for it, when you win! Do you still have the build pictures that you posted on the old site? Those would be nice to have back up here!

Comment

And I'm up for it, when you win! Do you still have the build pictures that you posted on the old site? Those would be nice to have back up here!
                  Yes I do, but I shot those raw so they are huge, I'll have to go through and resize them to fit on a share site. Should I post them here or is there a more appropriate forum?

Bob

Comment

WOW!! How close were you?
                    I still have a ways to go Tom was 45X again and I was 34X, I had trouble getting everything to settle down in my position. My hold was bigger than X ring with pulse alone to begin with and then it began to settle on the third string. The 100-10X was the fourth sting and then I fell apart again for the fifth string.
                    Bob

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

That's impressive, Tom must be an incredible shooter!

Once you get the pics ready, create a new thread in the Build it yourself and Custom Builds thread.

I look forward to it.

Comment

• independentrider1

I originally learned to shoot the three positions (prone, Standing and Kneeling) plus sitting while shooting on my high school rifle team. This is the same time and place I learned to use a sling properly. Two years ago I shot my first appleseed. (www.appleseedinfo.org) Which once again I found myself using a sling. I have a leather cuff sling that I prefer but the thing about appleseed is they teach you to properly use any kind, be it Hasty or cuff style. If you are looking to learn to use a sling I cannot recommend a appleseed course enough. I am not a appleseed spokesman or anything I just like to see people utilize a great tool that is out there.

Comment

Bob,

It looks like the front sight and post on your AR in the picture has been blackened pretty well. Was that on the 100yd line?

Comment

The pic of me in position is at the River Bend Rifle and Pistol Club 600 yard range in north Georgia. And yes, the front sight is smoked with a Ray Vin carbide smoker. The target was shot at a 100 yard range with my 6.5 Grendel any/any rifle.
                            I made my goal yesterday beating Tom with a score of 500-34X. I didn't have any 100-10x strings but it was cold and windy and I handled the conditions better than he did. I'm a happy camper now.
                            Bob

Comment

The Appleseed classes are a great way to learn not only the loop and hasty slings, but also: proper standing, sitting, kneeling and prone positions.
                              Inches, Minutes Clicks = learn to translate the "Love languages" spoken between the target and your rifle.
                              The six steps to firing an accurate shot.
                              Rapid mag changes.
                              Target detection, range and wind speed estimation, along with the sight corrections that will be needed.
                              Rifleman's dance, rifleman's bubble, plus lots of drills to practice. It only costs $75 for the 2 days.

And, of more importance, you will be presented with the history of our heritage as a nation of riflemen, and learn some skills to pass on that heritage to the next generation so that the torch of Liberty will not die on our watch.

Its very family friendly. You will meet a lot of great people (like me! ) and have a great time.

Comment

• OLd Man
                                Bloodstained
                                • Mar 2012

I have used this on my hunting rifles and as of now not tried it on my AR, but I love it. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp...&CatalogID=361

This would probably be a better hunting than target sling, but Im not sure of that either.

Comment

Working...
                                X