• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Chassis vs boyd's howa mini

Ok gents here we go.

I think the chassis or but ugly but I'm about to use my boyd's stock as a fire starter log.

So let's here it. What is the horde's thoughts on accuracy with the mini.

Is it worth the money to get the oryx chassis over dropping more money on this snake bit boyd's stock.

Was going to piller bed and glass bed the action but after taking it out the stock tonight only to find 7 different spots were 1/4 or bigger chunks of wood had broken free from the stock I'm not sure I even want to mess with this anymore.

What say the horde is it easyer to slap the barrel action into a chassis and get great groups compared to doing up a boyd's stock with piller and glass bedding the action.

I'm really frustrated with this boyd's stock right now.
  • Taz575
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

I have the BRN-1 Brownells chassis made by MDT. I put a Luth-AR MBA 3 stock and a hogue pistol grip on it and it's an awesome bench type set up! https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod112529.aspx

It was on sale for $399 and I had a coupon or 20% off a while back, too.

Comment

• cwlongshot
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

I have been going back and forth myself. Pretty much sidelined the chassis as its clod and my rifles are hunting rifles first.
      Read all the horror stories on the Boyds with the mini. Have have three boyds on other rifles and they have been 100% zero issues.
      Im considering the varmint stock with the verticle grip but would like the adj comb and dont see ut iffered but have seen others getting it. So I guess I would need to call

What shock do you have?

My gun shoots awesome as is, Id just like better ergos afforded by this style stock. Wish the Mag Pul was offered for the mini!!

I would at least bed the action. Might pillar bed it too but its something I have t done yet. Bedding is pretty much something I have done On all my Rifles that shot well.

CW

CW

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cwlongshot View Post
        I have been going back and forth myself. Pretty much sidelined the chassis as its clod and my rifles are hunting rifles first.
        Read all the horror stories on the Boyds with the mini. Have have three boyds on other rifles and they have been 100% zero issues.
        Im considering the varmint stock with the verticle grip but would like the adj comb and dont see ut iffered but have seen others getting it. So I guess I would need to call

What shock do you have?

My gun shoots awesome as is, Id just like better ergos afforded by this style stock. Wish the Mag Pul was offered for the mini!!

I would at least bed the action. Might pillar bed it too but its something I have t done yet. Bedding is pretty much something I have done On all my Rifles that shot well.

CW

CW
        Pro varmint boyd's.

That's the problem the dam stock is falling apart. I honestly don't feel like dealing with this thing anymore. I already had too sand out nearly a 1/8 of an inch from the barrel channel and atleast that much out of the bolt handle groove.

Will be calling boyd's in a few see what they going to say about it.

I feel like the stock is snake bite and no amount of money in bedding will save it.

Comment

• FW Conch
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

A while back, Boyd's had to go to a different laminate supplier because the one they were using burned down. Seems there have been quality issues since. There also seems to be issues getting the mini properly fitted. Hopefully Boyd's will take care of You. Please keep us informed.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Glad I saw this I was looking at a Boyd's for the T/C Compass I just got. Got wondering about looking elsewhere.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

What shock do you have?

CW

CW
              CW, you can get the adjustable cheek ht as an option on the pro varmint. It's towards the end of their little selection choice-line on their website. I thought about that myself.
              My pro varmint is working fine sort-of... action screws came loose as I wrote earlier, and for now I'm trying some loktite, but have the bedding stuff in hand. Just working up the gumption to mess with it all.
              Have not had to deal with any chunks that broke free as A5 reports, maybe there's something to that switch in laminators like FW says...
              Last nite I went back to the range after the loktite setup, 5, 3-shot groups all <1"/100 yds. 4@123 Black and 1@ sst handload. Still kind of testing it out though.
              O, and 1 definite stonehenge .
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                A while back, Boyd's had to go to a different laminate supplier because the one they were using burned down. Seems there have been quality issues since. There also seems to be issues getting the mini properly fitted. Hopefully Boyd's will take care of You. Please keep us informed.
                I don't know what the issue is with it. The rifle has been throwing some fantastic groups and then yesterday out of nowhere it throws a 1 1/2 group. So I let the barrel cool broke our my fat wrench and checked all my screws, everything is good.

Give it 10 mints shoot anouther 1 1/2 group go to put the safety on and notice it is very very stiff.

Bust it apart and find 7 spots where the wood broke out in a chunk of about 1/4 inch in size. Gave the action a good looking over and the stock and wasn't able too tell if it was rubbing or contacting together and that caused it or if it was just weak spots in the wood and the glue they used failed and allowed chunks to break free.

Honestly if boyd's gives the ok I'm just going to return it for a refund if not I will try and clean it up and just put it in the safe and order one of those ugly as sin chassis things, so I can atleast shot my rifle.

Comment

• flyrod
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  What say the horde is it easyer to slap the barrel action into a chassis and get great groups compared to doing up a boyd's stock with piller and glass bedding the action.
                  Obviously it is easier to drop the action into a chassis. Personally, I would bed the wood stock. It is also easier to buy ammo off the shelf, but the only ammo I ever buy is 22 rimfire. For me, building and tinkering is part of the fun of this hobby. If you just want to buy something that works then the chassis may be the better option. I like wood because it's easy to work with, modify, adapt, glue, screw, reinforce, shape, refinish, etc. The time I spend working on a rifle is not an expense, it's rewarding. I have two howa minis that are epoxy/aluminum bedded in wood stocks and I'm pretty happy with them.

Good luck and let us know what boyds says.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Comment

• cwlongshot
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

Sorry to read A5....

I can feel the frustration.

Please let ys know how things flesh out.

If you get stuck with the stock, and your willing to sell maybe Id be intrested.

CW

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Well no dice with Boyd's. No refund, no replacment. They said that's typical of the wood type and shouldn't cause any issue's after the fact.

So come pay day buying a chassis for my howa. No more boyd's stocks for me moving on is best I think.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                          Well no dice with Boyd's. No refund, no replacment. They said that's typical of the wood type and shouldn't cause any issue's after the fact.

So come pay day buying a chassis for my howa. No more boyd's stocks for me moving on is best I think.

Well that kinda sux...

When you get something working drop me a line about this one. Im always up to a gun project!

CW

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Well that kinda sux...

When you get something working drop me a line about this one. Im always up to a gun project!

CW
                            It does blow. I mean I could piller and glass bed it but then what if more breaks free under the epoxy.

I'm not sure I would sale or give this stock to anyone, wouldn't want someone to have to deal with this mess.

I'm not saying all boyd's stocks are thus way but this one sure seems to be kind of junky. And well as much as I don't like boyd's answer, I have had the stock over 30 days already I think so well I guess it is what it is.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

A5,
                              Can you post some pics of this?

I'm kind of with you on this. The chassis is better quality, but not near as nice looking. The At-One is "chassis like", but it's not a chassis. After looking at both of my Boyds stocks, I decided that it would be a bad idea to shoot them without pillar and epoxy bedding first. I've done a lot of work with laminated woods in the past and it does split/chip easily if pressure is applied in just the right spot/way.

I'm curious to see where the stocks failed.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X