• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Savage Grendel Options

Hey guys. I know this has been tried a few times in the past with varying levels of success. I've been doing some research though and it looks quite promising, so I wanted to share it here.

From what I can tell, we "should" be able to build a 6.5 Grendel out of a Savage 110 or the Savage Axis. The Axis would actually be easier.

Axis Build:
    • Start with a short action Savage Axis. Both short and long action Savage Axis use the same action length and bolt spacing. However the trigger guard and mag wells are different. We want a short action mag well.
    • Purchase a PPC bolt head for a Savage 10/110 either from Pacific Tool and Guage or from eBay. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savag...olt-heads.html
    • Purchase a custom Savage "pre-fit" barrel in 6.5 Grendel for the Savage 10/110. You can find these from Shaw and others. To date, all Savage Axis receivers have been made with the "small shank" pattern that is used on the Savage 10/110 series of rifles.
    • This is the part that shows promise. Purchase Savage part number 55221. This is a 7.62x39 specific mag for a Savage scout rifle. It holds 4 rounds, is flush fit and has feed lips shaped to for the 7.62x39. Hopefully these are like the Howa mags and will work equally well with the Grendel. Pop the bottom plate of the mag off and replace it with the bottom plate that came with the Axis mag. You now have a flush fit mag specifically for a 7.62x39 Savage Axis.

110 Build:
    • A non-Axis build is more tricky due to the multiple configurations and changes over the years. It is identical to what I listed above except that you need to be careful what rifle you chose as a starting point.
    • It needs to be a newer center feed, short action and detachable mag fed. I would also try to find one that is a top bolt release. A bottom bolt release "may" work as well but I don't know for sure.
    • The current 10/110 series of rifles use two different styles of detachable mags. If it is a little higher end rifle, it should work with part number 55221 without any modifications. If it is a lower end rifle, it will use the Axis style of mag. In that case, you will need to swap the magazine bottom plates in order for part number 55221 to work in your rifle. There is also an older "side mag release" style that will not work. Stay away from those for this mod. (Those can be easily made into a blind mag configuration though)

So who here wants to be the first person to try an Axis build?
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
    Hey guys. I know this has been tried a few times in the past with varying levels of success. I've been doing some research though and it looks quite promising, so I wanted to share it here.

From what I can tell, we "should" be able to build a 6.5 Grendel out of a Savage 110 or the Savage Axis. The Axis would actually be easier.

Axis Build:
    • Start with a short action Savage Axis. Both short and long action Savage Axis use the same action length and bolt spacing. However the trigger guard and mag wells are different. We want a short action mag well.
    • Purchase a PPC bolt head for a Savage 10/110 either from Pacific Tool and Guage or from eBay. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savag...olt-heads.html
    • Purchase a custom Savage "pre-fit" barrel in 6.5 Grendel for the Savage 10/110. You can find these from Shaw and others. To date, all Savage Axis receivers have been made with the "small shank" pattern that is used on the Savage 10/110 series of rifles.
    • This is the part that shows promise. Purchase Savage part number 55221. This is a 7.62x39 specific mag for a Savage scout rifle. It holds 4 rounds, is flush fit and has feed lips shaped to for the 7.62x39. Hopefully these are like the Howa mags and will work equally well with the Grendel. Pop the bottom plate of the mag off and replace it with the bottom plate that came with the Axis mag. You now have a flush fit mag specifically for a 7.62x39 Savage Axis.

110 Build:
    • A non-Axis build is more tricky due to the multiple configurations and changes over the years. It is identical to what I listed above except that you need to be careful what rifle you chose as a starting point.
    • It needs to be a newer center feed, short action and detachable mag fed. I would also try to find one that is a top bolt release. A bottom bolt release "may" work as well but I don't know for sure.
    • The current 10/110 series of rifles use two different styles of detachable mags. If it is a little higher end rifle, it should work with part number 55221 without any modifications. If it is a lower end rifle, it will use the Axis style of mag. In that case, you will need to swap the magazine bottom plates in order for part number 55221 to work in your rifle. There is also an older "side mag release" style that will not work. Stay away from those for this mod. (Those can be easily made into a blind mag configuration though)

So who here wants to be the first person to try an Axis build?
    Wow was you reading my mind last night lmao. I layed in bed till 2 am searching the net and trying to find intel.

From what I came up with the axis would be the easiest and cheapest route like you said.

Wish I had a axis rifle with that mag body to get a internal coal length measurement.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Well you could just spend the $45 and find out for the rest of us
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Even though the Axis is a budget rifle, they have enough of the 110 bloodline in them and they are popular enough that the after market parts are out there for them. Here is a starting point if you chose to go that way.

Savage Tactical Bolt Handle Left Hand Black with 1.75” black Tactical Knob. Machined for the flat receiver profile but will fit also the Round Back receiver.

savage axis, ruger american, t/c compass, thomson/center compass, cnc milled rifle parts, 3d printing, 3d printing services, CAD services, 3d solid modeling, cnc milling, cnc machining, prototypes, short run production, small order production, additive manufacturing, fdm

https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ - enhanced extractor for steel case ammo
        Last edited by Frontier Gear; 01-22-2019, 01:51 AM.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Well you could just spend the $45 and find out for the rest of us
          Lol your the ffl, you could build it up and figure out all the tweaks needed then do a auction for it.

Or start your own line of custom savage bolt action grendels, don't ffl guys get discounts.

I'm going to do some Google fuu the next few days and see what I can come up with might just have to build this thing.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

I also read where one Savage owner was using the Axis 223 style of mags and getting them to work well in his 7.62x39 model 10 by bending the feed lips a bit. That would mean even more available mags if part number 55221 ever ran out. My guess is that all short action Axis mags have the same internal coal length measurement.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Think I'm bout to order a mag and run a few test on it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Question. If I went with that ptg bolt head. What extractor would I use? Ptg doesn't offer an extractor with the bolt head.

Would I reuse the extractor from the original bolt?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  Question. If I went with that ptg bolt head. What extractor would I use? Ptg doesn't offer an extractor with the bolt head.

Would I reuse the extractor from the original bolt?
                  This one

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Thanks for the link sir. Does the savage bolt head not use a extractor like the ruger,Remington heads. Never owned a savage so just want to make sure I know all the parts needed.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

Not sure what you mean. There is an extractor, but it's not the same as the Ruger. The ebay link has one with the extractor already in it.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Not sure what you mean. There is an extractor, but it's not the same as the Ruger. The ebay link has one with the extractor already in it.
                        Good enough for me lol

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

yeah, all the little bolt-head parts are orderable, I got mine from brownells IIRC. Savage parts.
                          Order a few of each, the extractor, extr spring, ejector, ejector spring, and extractor ball. And ejector roll pin.
                          One or 2 will definitely go SPROINGGG! into the air during your assembly.
                          Been there got the Tee-shirt.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                            yeah, all the little bolt-head parts are orderable, I got mine from brownells IIRC. Savage parts.
                            Order a few of each, the extractor, extr spring, ejector, ejector spring, and extractor ball. And ejector roll pin.
                            One or 2 will definitely go SPROINGGG! into the air during your assembly.
                            Been there got the Tee-shirt.
                            you too I thought I was the only member of this elite club dangit lol

Comment

• FW Conch
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2014

I built mine on a Stevens 200 action (same as a Savage 10). The action housing itself is the only thing that has not been replaced. Oh how peaceful life is when You decide You don't need a repeater/ magizine. Isn't that what AR's are for ? JM,JS. That hole in the bottom of My action is filled with a single shot follower. Simplifies things greatly. And the coal can be 4" if You like. If You don't fire it, just take the bolt & the cartridge out the back. Of course this won't be an issue with the Grendel.

I shot it for almost 2yrs with the 308 bolt head, and it worked fine. I have since bought a separate bolt and installed the ppc bolt head and ejector, I just swap out the whole thing. I have an ER Shaw barrel, blue laminate thumbhole stock, Rifle Basics Savage II trigger, it is mostly SS with a silver scope. It is a short action.

Rather the Stevens 200, the Savage 10, or the short action Axis will and has worked fine for many. I suggest looking for a used donor to not waste money on parts Your going to remove and not use anyway.

All these systems use the barrel nut, and chamberings can be swapped at will. This can become addictive. At last count I have 16 barrels. Enjoy the journey.

Comment

Working...
                              X