• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King31
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

Brass Questions

Shooting out of both my 18" GB Faxon and 12" PSA Grendels yields brass that comes out looking very rough. Can anyone chime in and tell me if this looks normal? The 18" has a lot of promise in being a real shooter, but I did not have this problem with my first Grendel. Thoughts?

I can add some better pictures if it would help.
    Trevor | NRA Life Member
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

That does not look normal at all. I can't believe the marring on the body and gas blow by on the neck. Both signs of a chamber that never should have left the place selling the barrel.

If I may ask who made the barrel and also, what brand of sizing die and case lube are you using?

LR55

Comment

• King31
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2016

This is the 18" Faxon Group Buy Barrel from a year ago. I've had it sitting around for a while. The brass is from Factory Loaded Hornady Black and AG. For what it's worth I use Hornady Dies and One-Shot.
      Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by King31 View Post
        This is the 18" Faxon Group Buy Barrel from a year ago. I've had it sitting around for a while. The brass is from Factory Loaded Hornady Black and AG. For what it's worth I use Hornady Dies and One-Shot.
        K31:

Need to let one of the gunsmithing types like LRRP52 or Sticks to give advice on this one. If LRRP52 does not see this thread, let me suggest you write him back channel and ask him to look. Sticks too since I believe he is pretty good at troubleshooting this type of thing too.

It certainly looks like very poor workmanship and no quality control was put into the chamber.

LR55

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

You might try making sure that your chamber is clean and dry, oil or case lube on the cases or in the chamber can make those strange markings.

Comment

• King31
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
            You might try making sure that your chamber is clean and dry, oil or case lube on the cases or in the chamber can make those strange markings.
            I plan on doing that before going out the next time. This Midwest weather is going to be brutal for a few days. Appreciate the responses
            Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

If it were mine, I would take one of my 6.5 Grendel chamber brushes, wrap a patch on it with Flitz, J-B's, or light polishing compound of choice, and spin it on a cleaning rod with a drill going back and forth in and out of the chamber rapidly.

Then see if the marring and scratches continue.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I plan on doing that before going out the next time. This Midwest weather is going to be brutal for a few days. Appreciate the responses
                There have been a couple of post where Faxon barrel chambers were rough. Most were attributed to the Nitride process leaving residue in the chamber. A few Forum members polished the chambers themselves and a couple of forum members contacted Faxon. Faxon had the members return their barrels for inspection/repair/replacement.

Here is one link to a thread with similar issue.

Note: Diameter is Varied Mic'ed a Bag with 0-1" Micrometer 6.5mm (.268) SP 8g (123gr) Inspection Tag #107 Lot PPU 22001 80 = .26690 - .26699 20 = .26700 - .26750 Prvi Partizan was founded in 1928 and today produces over 350 types of rifle, pistol , revolver and small arms ammunition. Prvi Partizan bulk bullets feature a lead core and copper jacket. Imported from Serbia. This is not loaded ammunition.

Comment

• King31
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  There have been a couple of post where Faxon barrel chambers were rough. Most were attributed to the Nitride process leaving residue in the chamber. A few Forum members polished the chambers themselves and a couple of forum members contacted Faxon. Faxon had the members return their barrels for inspection/repair/replacement.

Here is one link to a thread with similar issue.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/29101
                  I'd say you are on to something. I'm guessing you copied the wrong link though. Will this go away the more it is shot? I cleaned the barrel thoroughly yesterday and shot 5 rounds with the same results.
                  Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

I'd say you are on to something. I'm guessing you copied the wrong link though. Will this go away the more it is shot? I cleaned the barrel thoroughly yesterday and shot 5 rounds with the same results.
                    King31:

You won't lap in a chamber with brass. It won't go away the more it is shot.

You might as well try the polishing technique LRRP-52 provided. It won't hurt anything even if it doesn't work.

LR55

Comment

• King31
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                      King31:

You won't lap in a chamber with brass. It won't go away the more it is shot.

You might as well try the polishing technique LRRP-52 provided. It won't hurt anything even if it doesn't work.

LR55
                      10-4. Will do!
                      Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Sorry for getting the wrong link King31. The first link is the one I intended in the previous post.

Ok, i have read through a couple threads, but maybe i'm just not savvy enough. I'm not exactly sure what is happening, so i'm not sure how to proceed. Helping bil build a rifle with a 16"gb barrel. Finally got it together last weekend and noticed the scratching. Bil doesn't care as he doesn't reload, but I CARE, bc i

This second thread might be worth reading.

Working on a new grendel build. Using Faxon match series 20" and before I even have shot this I am getting these scratches on the case. This is factory ammo, Hornady. Also when ejecting using the charging handle, I have to pulled relatively hard to get it to eject. Normal charging handle pulling and it won't eject. The are

Comment

• glocker21
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          If it were mine, I would take one of my 6.5 Grendel chamber brushes, wrap a patch on it with Flitz, J-B's, or light polishing compound of choice, and spin it on a cleaning rod with a drill going back and forth in and out of the chamber rapidly.

Then see if the marring and scratches continue.
                          I was thinking the same thing, I have run into that issue with other calibers occasionally over the years and that is how I resolved it.

Comment

Working...
                          X