• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwlongshot
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

Howa MINI W/Boyds Pro varmint LAM stock

Well the stock arrived last night. Not exactly the color I expected, but its livable. Royal is color I decided on.

Only problem was the front screw in front got a lil buffed/sanded. The wood is below the metal on one side. But that's being picky. The bottom metal was generously inletted, but I can bed it to be perfect. The barrel channel is rough, and makes hard contact with the barrel. I relieved most of it, simply by smoothing it, not removing anything but high spots. Its also not centered. Ill probably leave it with pressure and shoot, easy enough to free float/ relive it later. (Its a std weight "Lighter" barrel) Action fit well in the stock little extra at the tank, but that's good as I'll bed that last. Under the comb was left un sanded. A file and 400 paper fixed that quickly.

You guys where right VERY full cut up under the barrel! Its quite a blocky stock. Ill bet you could remove 7-8oz pretty easily...

I will likely give this side a sand as I prefer a Blk stock with highlights of purple...

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-31-2019, 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling
  • pelikan800
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

That actually looks pretty good! I really like the adjustable comb too.

I'm guessing with the Std. barrel just fitting, the heavy barrel would be a "no go"? Or maybe they have a different inlet for the heavy barrel?
    Last edited by pelikan800; 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

CW, tell me more about that large bolt knob... I could use something like that.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• cwlongshot
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        CW, tell me more about that large bolt knob... I could use something like that.
        eBay!

CW

Comment

• Sterling
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2019

Thanks for that link. I’ll wait to find a smooth one like yours.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

The two that I did (AT-One) leaned towards the left as well. The action was was bedded, and pillars added so I did not bother with the top side inletting for the action. The bottom plate however did require significant work.

I am thinking that the template that Boyds got and set up their cutter for is off, and I was under the impression that they got a hold of another "Properly" inlet and centered rifle to make adjustments.

Anyhow - looks good, hope she shoots well for you.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• cwlongshot
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
              The two that I did (AT-One) leaned towards the left as well. The action was was bedded, and pillars added so I did not bother with the top side inletting for the action. The bottom plate however did require significant work.

I am thinking that the template that Boyds got and set up their cutter for is off, and I was under the impression that they got a hold of another "Properly" inlet and centered rifle to make adjustments.

Anyhow - looks good, hope she shoots well for you.
              Bottom metal fits, but does bins screws...

I'll relieve the area, pillar bed and then bed the bottom metal. Ill also bed at least recoil lug area, if not entire action.

My plan is to shoot it as is, tomorrow JUST to establish a accuracy base line. Then releive mounting bolts, install pillars...set aside to cure completely. Shoot again next weekend. Then bed (at least) recoil lug and further relieve barrel. Then shoot again following weekend. Record and report findings. Best laid plans....

CW

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Ouch...they missed the ball with that one. Action holes line up on top? I don't know that I would want to force that one in.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Yep that's not right. It's fixable though. Drill them out and epoxy in pillars at the correct locations.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• cwlongshot
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

Adsatively!!

Pillars goin in later today!! Need to size them and cut some grooves then line drill stock.

Yes Sticks, I only had to lightly round file the holes to gt them to alighn.

Shot it for base line accuracy today. WOW, great feel. VERY solid that alone is gonna help accuracy!! Took 5/6 shots to get centered. (LOVE THIS SCOPE!!) Then a three shot group.

CW

Comment

• cwlongshot
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

I dont seem to have what little patience I sometimes have... (Back killing me today ???)

BUT, I measured 5-6 times and got the pillars cut to few thaousandths of needed size.

Stock Measured .100-.120 more that these measurements.

I cut them using my drill press and a blade. Carefull to keep them long.

Now I need to rough them up, bore holes in stock and epoxy them in.

Need a clear head. So the boring will be tomorrow. Need to remove the pain in my body. Tito Im coming...

CW
                      Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-04-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Thanks. I've got one inbound. Also the howa will be getting an adjustable cheek riser, plus when I take the action out for that I will be opening up the barrel channel a bit along the left side. I've already put in the Aussie trigger springs, I like the pull much better now.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

GOOD NEWS GREY!!

Today I got the stock drilled. Then I final sized the length of the pillars and scarified then and epoxied them in.

Its all epoxied up and dryin!!

CW
                          Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-04-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• klr
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

I guess it's too late now, but did you check to see if the bolt hits the magazine when the bottom metal is contacting the action? With the factory plastic bottom the magazine is too high when the bottom is tightened to touch the action.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

CW you are DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some kind of clamp-down thingy like you have there.......

Comment

Working...
                              X