Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1A Scope Mount suggestions requested

Greetings ALL:

I've had an SA Mdl MA9822 for about 13 yrs. now and I cannot get it to group as well with the SA 3rd gen. scope mount as it will with iron sights (groups 1 moa at 100 with iron and 3 moa at 200 and 300 with scope); Last year the scope was replaced with a Nikon 6x18 and the rings were replaced with Brownell's steel tactical rings and still no joy at 200 and 300 yds. The round count is now about 1500.

Last month, in a big concession for a retired USAR soldier, I called in the Marines. My future son-in-law is a USMC Sgt. who has been building weapons at the USMC Precision Weapons Section at Quantico for the last two years. I took the rifle and scope out to Quantico and they concluded the problem is not scope, barrel, nor rings but the mount. The concensus from PWS was just keep the scope off and enjoy shooting it with irons in service rifle matches. I asked how they get solid mounts for the Squad Designated Marksman rifles they make out of M14s and was told they weld the scope mount on. My FSiL said he thought it would be a shame to do that to my rifle. I agree.

I'm pretty sure I won't be match shooting any time soon as my wife's health issues take priority and I've got two match grade AR-15s which I would probably be more competitive with anyway.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a scope mount fitting weaver or Pictatinny rings in the $200 price range?

V/R
    pkcorc30
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Pat I think you've discovered the main reason the military went to the Knights Armament. SR 25 7.62 rifle. The M-14/M-1A just weren't designed to have a scope mounted. That being said not all of the side mounted scope bases are created equal. This set up is never going to be as sturdy as a rail on a flat top AR-15. If you notice the military went to a different stock on the M-14 for the scoped M-14's. I've seen one stock which has a rail on top of the barrel hand guard where you can mount a scout scope or red dot forward in a similar fashion as is used on AK's. The stock was developed at Crane and the top hand guard screws to the the rest of the stock to make rail as rigid as possible. I looked in Brownells catalog but didn't see the stock. I think Sage international made the stock but I think the stock was several hundred bucks.

There really isn't a good way to mount a weaver rail to an existing M-1A and keep the cheek weld and have clearance for the brass unless you go well forward of the action. I know they made a mount for the Mini 14 where they removed the rear sight to attach the rear part of the mount but I've never seen any type of mount for the M-1A other than the side mount.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

It was Sage International that made the stock sets and scope bases. Here is a page I found. http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/...s/ebr.html#m14

Comment

Thanks, Larry, I remember seeing some Sage stocked M14 when I was in the sandbox. Also, the Sage stocks we had on those old Remington semi-auto shotguns back in the Tactical Response Team days were the best part of that idea.

Pat

Comment

• noobshooter

I experienced some of the ass pain with the M1A mounts myself. I first bought a SA Gen4 mount but wasn't quite satisfied with the finish of it--some sharp edges and the like. So, I bought a Fulton-Armory mount and you could definitely see and feel a difference in the mount. F-A makes some pretty decent things. IMHO the F-A mount is a better mount than SA. SADLAK also make a bang-up mount for the M1A.

As far as getting the cheek-weld correct. I bought a cheek riser from TNVC. It fits perfectly on my M1A walnut stock and has the right height for me eyeball targets through my Leupold Mark 4.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I noticed the Fulton Armory and SADLAK mount in Brownell's catalog they are little pricey. A friend of mine uses a cheek riser on his MIA with a scope but I can't remember the brand of his scope mount. There is a Fairfield Pd officer who carries a S/A Socom M1-A and it has the rails built into the front of the stock. I think he is running an E O Tech but I can't remember for sure.

Comment

• noobshooter

I know they are a bit pricey, but the M1A isn't a cheap rig either. I've learned my lesson that if I settle for the less expensive accessories, I will always yearn for what I really wanted in the beginning. You also get what you pay for. I've got a Pelican chest full of gun parts!

Sounds like the Fairfield PD Officer is running his like a scout rifle with the optic forward of the the receiver. I know Troy makes a good rail that replaces the stock fiberglass heat shield on the M1A with a rail system. I almost bought one for my loaded M1A. Looks solid. That setup that Troy makes requires the operator to remove the rear sight to mount the rail system, but you have a full rail all the way up to the front of the stock.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Gruning Precision build's an outstanding scope mount system for the M1A. It's robust and extremely durable. The system consist of a new heavy duty recoil lug, 1 piece extended length rail and HD rings. The rail is a solid piece of steel with the rear mount milled in. Go to: gruningprecision@earthlink.net Look at their M1A link for photos.
                Jim designed his system for LE/Mil application. His primary customers are tactical law enforcement/SWAT and Military Snipers in the SpecOp's community. The products and rifles he builds are specific to extreme use and abuse.
                Bob Gonzales
                Sergeant of Marines (Ret)
                Disabled Vietnam Veteran

Comment

M1A Mount

Good Luck

Gonzo
                  SEMPER FIDELIS

Comment

The biggest challenge with the M14/M1A for mounting is that the receivers are not standardized for dimensional uniformity where it counts for mounting optics. The threaded screw hole on the left side of the receiver is at different locations when indexed from either the stripper clip guide, or the 0, 0, 0 datum point in the blue prints. This is why PWS welds theirs.

The Sage stock has the best cheek piece, but the fore end is way too bulky and heavy. Everyone I know that has tried to go down the M1A accuracy path with optics has experienced the spiraling vortex of money suck that the system is. Sometimes you come across a hummer, but most are an endless quest for reliable and repeatable accuracy.

One optics mounting solution is to mill off the protective ears of the rear sight assembly, drill and tap for a 1-piece Picatinny scope base, and black Loc-tite or weld it to the receiver permanently. I know a black gun artist who did an M1A like that for a customer in the Ft. Bragg area, and he also installed a straight 1" bull Krieger barrel. He cut the top of the gas block, made it into a dovetail, and dovetailed the barrel to mount it. The customer is always tickled when shooting that rifle, as it is a solid performer, but you see that the M14 is not inherently accurate for many reasons.

Comment

The Nov. 2009 issue of Shooting Times' cover article was titled "Scope your M1A!"(shining the light on M1A optic mounts).
                      It was writen by Joseph von Benedikt. It is a very good study of your problem. If you can not locate it let me know and I will LOAN you my copy.
                      Dave

Found it:
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

I have the Springfield Armory one piece mount for my National Match M1-A and it is a very solid mount. It's very similar to this one.

This is my rifle with a 6x-24x Burris scope.

Comment

Originally posted by pkcorc30 View Post
                          Greetings ALL:

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a scope mount fitting weaver or Pictatinny rings in the $200 price range? pkcorc30
                          http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html M14 Scope Mount, Wire EDM, NSN 5855-01-506-5750

My standard-barrel SA M1A shot 1.5 MOA with this mount and as you might imagine I was very happy with it. I sold the M1A to fund my Grendel build but still have the mount. If you want, it's yours for $200 ($275 new). PM me if you want photos.

Comment

• usmc1371
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2011

i also use a sa mount. i think it is a gen2 or 3. i didnt have much luck either.......

Comment

Like earlier, I have found not all receiver specs are the same. Sadlak makes the best I have seen, followed by Smith Enterprises. They are pricey, but everything for an M1A is. Sadlaks website advertises how to measure your receiver. They state some hand fitting maybe required, or you can mail it to them to have it fitted. Also the accuracy issues found in the M1A, are mainly because the M1A is NOT the M14. The M14 was made from bar stock, not forged. Also the M14 has a rear lug. For years there have been complaints about the quality of parts and whether or not Springfield uses USGI or knock-offs. Springfield Armory is not the same company as the M14 stamped Springfield. They use the folk lore and similar name to sell M1As. I found this out the way most do. My dad talked about how great the M14 was in Vietnam and how he didn't like the M16. He would talk about shooting long range with irons, then with a scope. With all do respect, most vets I have heard talk about Vietnam, talk about the M14 like it was the right hand of God, and the enemy didn't have a weapon to give them a fair chance against it. I used the M16/M4 weapons when I was in and we butted heads over the reliability. I have an M1A. Think I will sell it and buy a Grendel. After all, were talking 60 year old technology shooting a 60 year old bullet. It's sad the US has been stuck on the .30 caliber thing for years. The Europeans have used 6.5s since WWII with success. I am glad they are catching on over here, especially with the bench-rest guys. There's my .02 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X