Wolf Ammunition - swapping 100 gr for 90 gr Speer TNT and reloading powder charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Wolf Ammunition - swapping 100 gr for 90 gr Speer TNT and reloading powder charge

90 tnt wolf.jpg

There is a term widely used for taking cheap ammo and swapping just the projectile with match or hunting grade projectiles - I will avoid using the term as my research of previous threads indicate that is a sore spot for the forum.

So we will call this pull/push reloading....

Starts with the $ 5.xx per box (20 ct.) of Wolf's undersized 100 grain (measured as .262") loaded with a very fine spherical powder in a lacquered steel case with Wolf primer.

Step 1: I pulled all the factory bullets with a collet puller, about half are reloadable if I wanted to use them for other purposes. I measured the powder charge of each on my RCBS 5-0-5 scale.

10 were loaded at 30.4 grains / 4 @ 30.3 grains / 5 @ 30.5 grains / 1 at 30.6 grains. - Not bad in my mind for Russian cheap ammo in terms of powder charges. I didn't bother weighing all the bullets.

Step 2: I could of just replaced the 100 grain FMJ with a Speer 90 grain TNT bullet however for my first test I wanted all the charge weights to be equal so I remeasured and charged 10 cases with 30.5 grains of the Wolf powder.

Step 2a: I figured based on previous reporting that velocity would be low, I studied the reloading manuals for 100 grain and 90 grain loads and extrapolated data and went with what I consider safe upcharges (granted of an unknown powder). I loaded 3 rounds of 31.0 grains / 3 rounds of 31.5 grains / and 3 rounds of 32.0 grains (starting to get near max case fill).

Step 3: I seated each bullet to 2.200" and applied a decent crimp with my Lee FCD

Step 4: Shoot with a chronograph and see if there is any remarkable difference

The day was a cold breezy morning with a 10 - 15 mph headwind, I setup the chronograph 10 yards off the muzzle. The rifle has an 18" mid-length diamondback firearms barrel with a Larue MBT trigger shooting off front and rear bags.

Factory 100 grain wolf at 100 yards:

Factory Wolf - 5 shots at 100 yards.jpg

Average velocity of 2550 FPS - 5 shot group measured approx. 3 MOA - Not impressed nor inclined to hunt beyond 100 yards with this factory loading.

90 grain TNT at 100 yards - 30.5 grains of powder (near factory powder charge weight)

TNT Wolf reload 30.5 grs.jpg

Average velocity of 2594 FPS - 3 shot group approx. 1.5 MOA - So it shoots half the size of Wolf factory ammo BUT the speed is rather anemic, I know other 18" Grendel shooters getting ~ 2800 fps. Accuracy fair.
    Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 03-16-2019, 01:48 AM.
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Cont.

90 grain TNT at 100 yards - 31.0 grains of powder (you will have a loss of 1 case per box using additional powder in reworking the load)

Average velocity of 2627 FPS - 3 shot group approx 1 MOA - Still too low for velocity to make the effort worth it but it is nice to see a 1" group using factory Wolf primer, case, and powder!

90 grain TNT at 100 yards - 31.5 grains of powder

Average velocity of 2664 FPS - 3 shot group approx. 1.5 MOA - I see a pattern forming on velocity increase for each .5 incremental this is getting interesting....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02-25-2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Last charge weight for the load session -

90 grain TNT at 100 yards - 32.0 grains of powder (not quite a compressed load but just at the shoulder neck junction)

32 grains wolf tnt.jpg

Average velocity 2730 FPS - 3 shot group .5 MOA - The gun's recoil impulse was butter smooth, the velocity is close enough for my liking, the accuracy - well....

Given the current shortage of Federal American Eagle 90 grain TNT, I see this as a viable solution for shooting the 90 grain TNT - i hope to load up 80 more and give them a go in hogs and ask for DNS' comparative opinion on his experience with the terminal effects of the factory offering.
      Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 02-25-2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

That is pretty cool. Looks like the TNT 32' are good to go and quite accurate.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Nice experiment!! Always an option if you need it. I hate losing brass, so this would work. I can’t always have a brass catcher attached because of vehicle, tractor, etc. Great info. Thx Tx
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

My work with the 90 TNT Moscow Match:
            32.3 grains nets me 2779 fps out of my BHW 22" with great accuracy.

90TNTMM.jpg

I pushed it to 2897 fps with 33.5 grains. I still think this is a safe load for me but the group opened up to an inch.
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
              My work with the 90 TNT Moscow Match:
              32.3 grains nets me 2779 fps out of my BHW 22" with great accuracy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13759[/ATTACH]

I pushed it to 2897 fps with 33.5 grains. I still think this is a safe load for me but the group opened up to an inch.
              Good stuff - have you taken any game with that load?

Comment

• Liquidmetal
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2015

Excellent info. I have done some straight pull/push Moscow match, but never manipulated the powder charge. I think I will try this with some Hornady 100 gr. ELDs.

Did you do any case prep to the mouth of the case? I noticed that I get some jacket shaving from the case mouth when doing a pull/push with no case prep.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Liquidmetal View Post
                  Excellent info. I have done some straight pull/push Moscow match, but never manipulated the powder charge. I think I will try this with some Hornady 100 gr. ELDs.

Did you do any case prep to the mouth of the case? I noticed that I get some jacket shaving from the case mouth when doing a pull/push with no case prep.
                  It’s my opinion that pulling the undersized factory projectile leaves just enough neck tension for a .264 diameter replacement.

2 of the 20 reseated bullets went in much easier (too little neck tension) which is why I opted to use the crimp die.

I used those two for sighting in

Comment

• OpFor1
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2019

Yall are going to make me a believer.

Comment

• RobUrban
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2018

This is an excellent post, would love to see some other bullets done in this way.

Comment

• Liquidmetal
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2015

Loaded up 25 of these tonight. Used Hornady 100 gr. ELD-Ms for all 25. COAL is 2.205

Had 21 at 27.9 grains of factory powder, 2 at 28.0 grains, and 2 at 28.1 grains of powder.

Loaded 5 each at 29.0, 29.5, 30.0, 30.5, and 31.0 grains of factory powder. At 31.0 grains, the powder level was creeping into the base of the neck.

Since I was dealing with an empty case this time around (unlike the other times in the past I have done this), I took the time to hit the case mouth with my deburring tool and it eliminated the bullet jacket shaving that I had previously seen with the 100 gr. ELD-Ms when doing a straight pull/push.

Hope to shoot these soon thru my 16" midlength AA Grendel.
                        Last edited by Liquidmetal; 02-27-2019, 01:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
                          Good stuff - have you taken any game with that load?
                          I have not. I don't hunt. Dad was a fisherman (boring!) and I never learned.
                          Paul Peloquin

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Liquidmetal View Post

I do prep the case mouth to avoid the shaving that occurs when fitting a .264 inch bullet in a .262 hole. I've both chamfered the mouth or used an expander die.

If you're doing a true pull/push, the expander die is the way to go since you don't have to dump the powder. I only have one press so I do each step (pull/expand/seat) 50 bullets at a time.

If you're dumping the powder to get an accurate, increased powder charge, chamfering will work fine.
                            Paul Peloquin

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

I’m liking what y’all are laying down , keep us posted on different push/pull results

Interesting to see scale charge weight variations between users...

Comment

Working...
                              X