X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Wolf Ammunition - swapping 100 gr Nosler Partition and reloading powder charge

Today's weather was decent, 53 degrees and a 10 mph wind. The factory Wolf bullets were pulled and discarded.

Rifle is an 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system and A2 full length stock.

I chamfered and deburred the case mouthes and recharged the cases with my reloading scale. I also applied a heavy factory crimp which may or may not do much with the steel case - its hard to say....

I shot these groups, seated and the rifle was bagged (front and back), with a Leupold 8.5x25 scope.

First load was very near what the average charge weight is for the Wolf factory 100 gr FMJ load - if you were to simply pull the bullet and swap with a 100 grain Nosler Partition you could expect to see the following.

IMG_1437.jpg

30.5 grains of Wolf powder, COAL 2.247"

3 shot group: 1.03"

4 shot group: 2.26"

Average Velocity : 2663 FPS

The velocity is approx. 100 FPS faster than the Wolf Factory loading, I chronographed the factory loading in 39 degree weather and perhaps the Nosler bullet is of a design that leads to increased speed (probably with increased pressure)......

I WAS SOMEWHAT HESITANT TO CONTINUE FURTHER WITH THE BELOW LOADS DUE TO THE FACT THAT MOST RELOADING MANUALS INDICATE THIS VELOCITY AS MAXIMUM LOAD. DO NOT REPEAT THE BELOW WITHOUT WORKING UP FROM A LOWER POWDER CHARGE.

IMG_1438.jpg

30.8 grains of Wolf powder

3 shot group: .360"

4 shot group: 1.16"

Average Velocity : 2700 FPS

I'll load up the remainder of my Wolf cases with this charge weight, understanding that I am at Max or beyond, the recoil impulse was smooth and the guns cycling (ejection) was at 4 o'clock position.

IMG_1439.jpg

31.1 grains of Wolf powder

3 shot group: 1.05"

4 shot group: 2.06"

Average Velocity : 2715 FPS

The velocity jump was a bit small given the previous data from a .3 grain increment , the recoil impulse was sharper and the group opened

IMG_1440.jpg

31.4 grains of Wolf powder

3 shot group: 1.03"

4 shot group: 1.52"

Average Velocity : 2715 FPS

Velocity is plateau'ing, the recoil was more sharp, the bolt did not hold open on empty, it just seems to be getting worse and so I stopped here even though I had one more charge to shoot.
    Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 03-17-2019, 01:49 AM.
  • Grendelshooter
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Mexican match eh? Nice wanna see where this goes.

Comment

• joedirt199
      Warrior
      • Jul 2015

Which powder do you have? I have pulled several wolfs and found little bar powder and ball powder.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

I’ve got the ball powder

Comment

• gold51
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2019

The design of the Wolf bullet is actually good technology for military usage. Assuming you quickly fired 3x at a target 200 yards away and doped the wind a tad wrong, you would probably be more likely to get a hit with a bullet that shoots inside a 6" circle at that range than one that does 2 inches.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Did I just understand you to say that what makes Wolf bullets good is that because they are not accurate, they work better for a person who doesn't shoot as well if they pull the trigger a lot more times? That is some convoluted logic.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Djgrendel
              Warrior
              • Feb 2016

Wolf bullet X 3. Seriously? Sure, for the price you can shoot 3. But why? If your law of averages requires 3 shots to make one hit, maybe you should spend some time making accurate shots. You can't miss fast enough to make anything better? As to the OP, I like your idea Hunt TX. Should make for a good steel case hunting round. Can't wait to hear how it works out
              Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by gold51 View Post
                The design of the Wolf bullet is actually good technology for military usage. Assuming you quickly fired 3x at a target 200 yards away and doped the wind a tad wrong, you would probably be more likely to get a hit with a bullet that shoots inside a 6" circle at that range than one that does 2 inches.
                This seems wrong on 2 levels.
                1. What does "a tad wrong" mean? since it's only a "tad" yet undefined I'll say, 1/2 right, estimating low by 50% on the wind drift of a 10 mph. so you might be 3-4" off where the target is what, 12-15" wide? better ammo accuracy with 1/3 of the cone vs the worse one, leads to more hit probability.

2. "quickly fired 3 shots" -- what does this mean? If anything the quickly fired shots would tend to climb, not disperse horizontally... so again, more accurate ammo leads to more hit probability.

So not sure why this comment would be accurate.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by gold51 View Post
                  Is this like multiplying two negative values equals a positive number?

I never understood that in math class either ....

nosler wolf.jpg
                  Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 03-17-2019, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Msalm
                    Warrior
                    • May 2018

That thought process is applicable in military applications when talking about machine guns. My state's machine gunner team excelled at certain events at the Winston matches @ Camp Robinson years ago because they still used the M60 Machine Gun while all the other units had the newly fielded M240. The 240's are GREAT guns, and very tight/precise in their shot dispersion. If you track left or right when walking up the target you will likely miss the mark while the M60 would hid due to the much larger cone of fire...

I do not subscribe to that thought when firing what should be a precise individual weapon.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Getting back to the original post context, I think................I now know one of the projects I'm going to do when I retire. (Having more free time on my hands).
                      I have 200 rounds of the Wolf steel-cased 100gr ammo and two boxes of Noslers I never used!
                      The OP's post is very interesting with the exception of the more than likely exceeding of the specs. Those rounds would be worth more in my mind if they were much more accurate but that's a lot of effort for a steel-cased shell that's one and done.
                      Not to mention the chance, in my barrel, they may shoot worse than the original equipment!

Comment

• daved20319
                        Warrior
                        • May 2019

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                        I now know one of the projects I'm going to do when I retire. (Having more free time on my hands).
                        Oh man, are you in for a rude awakening !!

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2018

Ha! This explains why 0331's were always saying " shoot 'em in the dick" lol thanks

Comment

• Sinclair
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                            Ha! This explains why 0331's were always saying " shoot 'em in the dick" lol thanks
                            In reading a German account of the fighting on the Russian front one German sniper using a semi-auto rifle, single handed broke up several attacks upon his sector by doing just that. Seems as the screams and wild thrashing about of their comrades took the starch out of Stalin's boys. The author went on to say that it worked especially effective when women were involved in the attack. Shooting them just above the crotch, their screams were especially unnerving even to the Germans. Gives credence to the saying, "all's fair in love and war".
                            "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                            Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

I have some 100 gr eldm's.... wonder if they might be usable? also, a bit worried about a narrower steel case shaving some copper off during seating.
                              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X