Larue LAT disassemble - what am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Larue LAT disassemble - what am I missing?

Finally got my long lusted after Larue 10" LAT for a Grrr pistol build. Included were (old) quad-rail instructions showing everything coming in pieces. This LAT came assembled... I'm either an idiot or I dunno... Pulled the keeper and hand-guard nut, that's as far as I can go, haven't forced anything, but it looks like the QD inserts are retaining the barrel nut/spacer inside the hand-guard. What am I missing to disassemble to get this on my upper?
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...
  • FRB6.5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

1. remove the 2x 8-32 keeper screws 2. remove the keeper and unscrew the hand guard nut 3. pull the barrel nut straight out 4. walk the spacer out, the pins are captive. You may need to tap the sides of the hand guard with your hand to get the spacer moving.

Other than the screws all of this was done by hand, no force needed on my SAT which is the same system.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Thank you! Had to tap out with a dowel from the front. Talk about tight tolerances... Now that I have it apart, I'm amazed at the perfect machine work and exact dimensions of all the pieces. @ $10/inch, I'm pretty sure I stole this.
      DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• FRB6.5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2018

Got a LAT as well and ran into the same issue as the OP, the fit on the barrel nut was absolutely tighter than the SAT I have and required a few taps with a dowel from the front.

I also ran into a few other snags worth mentioning. The rear opening is sized for LaRue's gas block, yours may or may not pass through. I have a Wojtek Set screw adjustable that will not (they also seem to be only offering clamp-ons now that absolutely will not pass through). In addition the side to side fit of this block in the upper portion of the rail was nearly touching on the lock side. Something to keep in mind if you need an adjustable gas block. I've ordered a few different low profile gas blocks and will report back if they fit in both places. I will likely go to a Bootleg adjustable carrier if I need to go to adjustable gas with these.

Also barrel nut shims are likely worth having on hand to align the top barrel nut hole to keep torque under 900 Lb gorilla strength required. This will obviously vary from upper to upper, but is $5-10 that may save some aggravation if on hand.

For myself and I'm sure the rest of the horde would appreciate knowing what blocks fit for others.
          Last edited by FRB6.5; 05-26-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

What FRB sez... ~1\2" of reciever end of the LAT is milled out to pass low profile set-screw gas block dimensions. Pretty sure just about any set-screw low-pro will pass through OK. Pretty sure clamp-on low-pro GB, or set-screw or clamp-on AGBs will NOT. Yes, I am Capt Obvious...

Comment

• Gringoloco
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Do you have any measurements for the inside diameter?

Comment

• FRB6.5
                Warrior
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Gringoloco View Post
                Do you have any measurements for the inside diameter?
                ~1.47" side to side, ~1.37" top to bottom of the "hexagon", ~1.8" top of pic rail channel to bottom. ~0.4675" at widest point of pic rail channel.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2018

Both Troy and Bootleg low profile set screw gas blocks fit through the back of the hand guard without issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X