• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Feeding problem

Attaching picture of a problem:

So i typically do 5 shots; i load 5 rounds in a magazine then usually after 3rd i have this problem.
    So in the above picture, what happened is, previous round was successfully extracted, but when new one was about to sent to chamber, it stands 45degree and bolt slams on his body.

Build is my custom build but i used all top notch parts (anderson manufacturing lower is only one from cheaper brand, but that is 7075 stripped lower which i filled in with parts from aero precision and strike industries, so no BCA shit there)

So:
    18" faxxon barrel MId system
    Rifle buffer and spring
    strike industries and aero precision lower parts
    Elander 24 rnd magazine (or 28 rnd..dont remember, but Elander..)
    Aero precision Upper
    Odin Works 20-pos adj. gas block.
    Toolcraft NiB BCG
    The rounds are custom reloads, but they measure properly.
    the BCG is well lubricated
    the chamber was cleaned
    brass ejects at around 4pm

I tried to give some more gas to adj. gas block, but that doesnt seem to affect it.

ideas?
    Last edited by R2BRO; 07-14-2019, 02:48 AM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Slow down and look at the bullets angle as you load each one into the mag. Also look at how the feed lip sits against the case body.

You may need too tweak a feed lip. Sounds like it since you said it happens on the same round each time.

Try a diffrent mag as well.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

My experience wither the same type malfunction. The bolt is not traveling far enough back to catch the new round at its base. In my case it’s was under gassed from a leakage at the pinned gas block. I switched to an adjustable gb and solved my problem. After wasting money on new extractor and ejector.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Shooterrex
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2019

I just had a similar problem with a 7.62x39 build. Changed ammo and mags and still had problems. I put in a heavier buffer and spring and now it runs fine. Bolt was going faster than the mag spring could raise the next round sometimes. Heavier buffer and spring slowed the bolt down giving the magazi e spring time to raise the next round.

Comment

• R2BRO
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

but it seems that rabbitdawg and shooterrex giving contradicting possible scenarios?

according to rabiddawg i dont have enough gas - the bolt is not traveling far enough, and giving more gas will help

but according to shooterrex the bold is traveling too fast, so it needs to be heavier to solve it (or less gas?)

or am i missing something

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

sometimes troubleshooting is a matter of eliminating possible issues. Try a diff mag first, then if that doesn't work maybe open up your GB all the way... shooterx elim'd the mag possibility first, then he went on.
            Could also slap on a different lower to see if the issue is somehow in that 1st lower (which might imply the spring/buffer...).
            Substitute interchangeable parts to see what happens to your feed problem, another way to track down causes.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
              but it seems that rabbitdawg and shooterrex giving contradicting possible scenarios?

according to rabiddawg i dont have enough gas - the bolt is not traveling far enough, and giving more gas will help

but according to shooterrex the bold is traveling too fast, so it needs to be heavier to solve it (or less gas?)

or am i missing something
              Overgas/undergas will give similar feeding issues. Your adjustable gas block should allow you to resolve it.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

When firing the last round, will the bolt lock back?

If it does will the mag drop free when you press the mag release?

If the mag won’t release it is Not locking on the bolt catch. Therefore not traveling far enough back.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• R2BRO
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

1) firing last round keeps bolt open/back
                  2) mag drops free no problem after last round fired

just wanted to point out again that the mag is E-Lander, the one which is considered top brand and im not feeling comfortable messing with its lips etc

but main thing i want to ask is.... is the problem i described because bolt going back and forth too fast, or too slow? should i start increasing or decreasing gas in gas block in next experiments?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

1) firing last round keeps bolt open/back
                    2) mag drops free no problem after last round fired

just wanted to point out again that the mag is E-Lander, the one which is considered top brand and im not feeling comfortable messing with its lips etc

but main thing i want to ask is.... is the problem i described because bolt going back and forth too fast, or too slow? should i start increasing or decreasing gas in gas block in next experiments?
                    No do not adjust the gas. If it's locking back on last round and the mag drops free and the brass is landing in the 3 to 4 o'clock zone the gas is good.

You have a mag issue change mags are fix the problem mag.

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

Everyone’s advice is spot on .Use process of elimination . Start with the mag and work your way down .
                      If all else fails I’d make sure the gas block is aligned properly.
                      To check for gas alignment , takeoff the scope remove the upper and the bolt. Takeoff the handguard.Then blow down the barrel from the muzzle end while plugging up the chamber with your finger . If you’re not getting a good flow through the gas tube,loosen the block and turn it .
                      That method has been working for me for a long time.Always works perfectly

Comment

• R2BRO
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

FLshooter: i did that check with plugged case and air duster. all checks well.

ok will test another mag.. what i noticed now with this Elander mag is, if i take it in my hand and with finger i slowly press it inside maybe less than 1" deep and then slowly release...it does get stuck or retracts back with click... do you think its healthy?

the ASC mag or Lancer (556) mag didnt do it, when i pressed it with finger inside and slowly releasing it was releasing slowly but without clicks or interruptions to original position

Comment

• FLshooter
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

To me it sounds like the mag is binding up.You can take it apart and see what’s going on. Or if you have another mag try it.And if you come to the conclusion that the Elander mag is bad, send it back let them worry about fixing it

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

FLshooter: i did that check with plugged case and air duster. all checks well.

ok will test another mag.. what i noticed now with this Elander mag is, if i take it in my hand and with finger i slowly press it inside maybe less than 1" deep and then slowly release...it does get stuck or retracts back with click... do you think its healthy?

the ASC mag or Lancer (556) mag didnt do it, when i pressed it with finger inside and slowly releasing it was releasing slowly but without clicks or interruptions to original position
                            I'm not following you?

Let's back up a sec. Ok first the gas. Your gas should be fine, you stated it's holding on last round and the mag drops free. You stated your brass is landing in the proper zone.

So that is eliminated it is not a gas issue.

That leaves the mag. So try a diffrent grendel mag, also take the one your useing that is having the issue and take it apart and give it a good cleaning and look for anything inside that can catch the follower. I.e. welds are maybe a bit of metal shaving are something.

Once it's cleaned and checked out take that mag load it to full capacity and put it in your gun safe for a week are so. Let it break in the spring.

Also check the feed lips to see if they are holding the rounds at the proper angle. To do this load one round at a time and insert the mag in the rifle and physically look at how the round is pointed at the barrel extention/feed ramps. Add a round and repeat till you reach 5 rounds.

Somewhere in their your either going to find out you need to tweak the mags feed lips or the mag spring is to stiff or the follower is binding up. Aka the cause of your issue.

This is why I use cpd mags now. The elanders just got to be too much of a pain in the butt.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• R2BRO
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

yes gas checked ammo ok ejection angle was good too.

ok got it! well...i have just this Elander, and shitty ASC mag which doesnt release freely on open bolt and press.
                              so ill be ordering some mags (ill order c products as you did, cuz i saw other people say its ok too) then and do those checks with different magazine on next weekend.

ill try to disassemble and check this elander in meantime.

i will update you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X