Midway Satern 6.5 Grendel barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elkbow View Post
    Midway just notified me that my barrel/bolt shipped and they are now showing the 'available', get 'em while you can
    also, anyone know the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? Going to have Ross make me a brake, but need to have it tapered to the barrel, so need the dimension at the muzzle end where the brake will mate?

Comment

• jwilson1985

someone will
      Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elkbow View Post
        also, anyone know the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? Going to have Ross make me a brake, but need to have it tapered to the barrel, so need the dimension at the muzzle end where the brake will mate?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/917...-steel-pre-ban
        anyone have the specs?

Comment

I just ordered mine I'll check it if I get mine first. I'm pucking fumped I looked and their in stock, I've been waiting for a long time with a gun I can't shoot until soon

Comment

according to tracking mine will be here monday, so i'll get it measured

Comment

Mine Satern barrels are 9/16-24 threads at the muzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                Mine Satern barrels are 9/16-24 threads at the muzzle.
                thanks, what I need to know is the exact diameter of the barrel right before the threads, so I an have a muzzle brake made that tapers to that point...of course probably isn't going to matter much as the crush washer won't fit perfectly, but I have ways I can probably do it without the crush washer

Comment

The muzzle diameter is .795 on mine which arrived today. I am a little irritated as the box and barrel are marked .264 lbc, but the barcode sticker says 6.5 grendel as does midway usa website. I know their basically the same but this is a .264 marked not a 6.5 grendel. The tradmark has been released so why is this the case?

Comment

• leopard6.5

Cbubac: Personally if it was me, I would contact( telephone and email, just so they also have it in writing) Midway USA and complain about it and let them know you want one that has the SAAMI spec. chamber instead.

On another thread someone called Satern and they said they weren't going to change until they get official notification that AA has released the trademark.

Midway USA, with their buying power, can put more pressure on these companies if they realize it will make a difference to their customers.
                    These barrels could have also been made before the trademark release but it never hurts to let them know how you feel and that you're not happy.

In the future, depending on how many barrel makers switch back to the SAAMI chamber and mark their barrels accordingly, these barrels may even become harder to sell as they are not marked 6.5 Grendel.
                    I know I wouldn't buy one unless it is marked 6.5 Grendel.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

On Midways website it does say 6.5 Grendel, but in their catalog it says .264 lbc. I prefer the 6.5 over the 264 for the basic reason if I decide to sell the gun years down the road 6.5 Grendel is a standard. you can always get a refund on the barrel but then you will not have one at all.

You can buy an barrel that has not been chambered and have someone chamber it for 6.5 Grendel. This is what I am doing my barrel should be here this week then it will get chambered. Its not the cheapest way but I get the barrel I want.

Comment

I've been wondering where Midway was coming off claiming they stocked Satern 6.5 G barrels when Satern wasn't/isn't currently making them. Personally, I have a .264 lbc and like it. I like having a choice between 6.5g and .264 and SAMMI or no, I'd probably go .264 again. I just wish Midway would get their collective feces aggregated as to what exactly it is they're selling. If you do stick with the barrel you have just make sure you have (or get) a bolt to match.

Comment

Message from midway

Heres what I got after they contacted satern
                          Dear Mr. Bubac:
                          Concerning product number:** 917940, Satern Match Barrel with Bolt AR-15 264 LBC-AR Medium Weight 1 in 8.75" Twist 24" Stainless Steel Pre-Ban.* The .264 LCB and 6.5 Grendel chambers are the same.* The .264 barrel was made before Alexander arms released the trademark on the 6.5 Grendel name, which happed recently.*
                          If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.*
                          Thanks for your* Business,
                          Teresa S.
                          Customer Service, MidwayUSA

I'm okay with this barrel but I would have like to known in advance. I will say midway was quick to get back to me. Here's some gun "adult action" of my project so far

Comment

• leopard6.5

Cbubac: This is part of the problem I have with the people making various chambers and calling them the Grendel. These are not the same because the measurements are different.

The Grendel chamber uses a .300 neck and the LBC uses a .295 neck.
                            I know it may not be enough to make a difference when shooting but they are not the same.
                            It also changes the shoulder, angle even if minutely, because of the different neck measurement.

People like Midway USA should know better, and they probably did, because they've been in the business long enough.
                            They probably thought, and rightly so, that they would sell them quicker labeling them as Grendels.
                            I just think it's not a very honest way of selling things( or should I sell someone a chevy and say " Hey it's really just like a Ferrari.").

At least they replied to you quickly and have since changed their listing.

Good Luck with your shooting.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leopard6.5 View Post
                              Cbubac: This is part of the problem I have with the people making various chambers and calling them the Grendel. These are not the same because the measurements are different.

The Grendel chamber uses a .300 neck and the LBC uses a .295 neck.
                              I know it may not be enough to make a difference when shooting but they are not the same.
                              It also changes the shoulder, angle even if minutely, because of the different neck measurement.

People like Midway USA should know better, and they probably did, because they've been in the business long enough.
                              They probably thought, and rightly so, that they would sell them quicker labeling them as Grendels.
                              I just think it's not a very honest way of selling things( or should I sell someone a chevy and say " Hey it's really just like a Ferrari.").

At least they replied to you quickly and have since changed their listing.

Good Luck with your shooting.

Lee
                              I couldn't agree more, when I was researching my newest build I chose the 6.5 Grendel due to its ballistics in a ar15 platform. I was looking at the 264 but chose the Grendel due to popularity, and available factory loads. I came very close to doing a 700 action in a 308 like everyone else but I already have all the ar tools. Plus I'd have t pay to have the action trued and lapped. Though I still don't regret my decision, but it is a problem calling a 264 a grendel when midway said its the same. I guess I'll just have to order a hornady lock n load progressive press with the bullet rebate and load my own brass.

Comment

Working...
                              X