• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herzo
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

X-Caliber 6mmAR

Fed-ex came by with a surprise yesterday, 28" 6mm AR 1:7 barrel about 3 weeks before I expected it. Bought an RCA bolt along with it. Gas port is at rifle +2". Assembled it to a Davidson Defense upper using a 14.6" White Oak Armament forend and a Superlative Firearms AGB. Topped it off with a Vortex Viper HST 6 - 24x using a 20 MOA Warne mount. Probably the easiest build I've done. Fit between the upper and barrel was line to line - just a light tap with a rubber mallet.
    Will finish it off with an Anderson lower, Larue trigger and a Magpul MOE for now.
    Will be trying 110 gr Sierra MK's @ 2.390" ahead of Alliant Reloder 17 if the weather breaks.
    Last edited by Herzo; 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM.
  • LtDan
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

What date did you order yours?

Comment

• Herzo
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2017

Oct 30

Comment

• LtDan
        Warrior
        • Sep 2017

I just got mine yesterday afternoon

Comment

• Herzo
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2017

Details?

Comment

• LtDan
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Herzo View Post
            Details?
            24" Bull, 11 degree crown 5r 1n8

Comment

• LtDan
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

Put 20 rounds in it yesterday, shoot one, clean it , shoot one, clean it and so on. Finally got the scope to put it where I wanted it and here is shots 18,19,20
              Grendel 6 on 3 small.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

• mopar_4life
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2019

How did the 110 SMK shoot? I?m building one and Was considering the 110. I don?t think they will be mag length and I?m not gonna single feed.

Comment

• Herzo
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2017

Weather and family obligations have conspired to limit my range time. I managed to run the break-in protocol, but serious load development will have to wait til after the new year.

Comment

• LtDan
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LtDan View Post
                    Put 20 rounds in it yesterday, shoot one, clean it , shoot one, clean it and so on. Finally got the scope to put it where I wanted it and here is shots 18,19,20
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15110[/ATTACH]
                    This was 105 Berger Hybrids, 27.5 gr of RL15 single loaded, Whitley says not to go too heavy, 110 are too long to heavy for the 6 Grendel, just saying. I wanted to try 95 SMK but no one has any stock of them where I shop.

Comment

• Herzo
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2017

Spent a little range time this morning, ran 40 rounds of 107 SMK at magazine length using CFE223, IMR4320 & 8208 at 100 yards. None of the loads showed any signs of pressure. Most were approaching or just over 2600 fps & all were 1 MOA or better. One CFE load produced a 3 round cloverleaf with 2 more opening up to just under 1". I believe that the barrel needs a few more rounds through it before it settles in - I only have 75 through it at this point.

Comment

• Herzo
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2017

Put another 80 rounds through the rifle at 100 yards this morning. Working with CFE223 behind a 105 Nosler RDF & 110 SMK. RDF produced a sub 5/8" 5 shot group @ 2730 fps, while I was approaching 3/4" with the SMK @ 2600 fps. Both were touching the lands. I feel like I'm getting close to a 1000 yard load.

Comment

• soloelcap
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

The 110 Match Kings are too long and heavy for 6AR. The Berger 105's work great in longer barrels. The 95's are meant for 6AR, try some H4895 or 8208 and CCI 450's. The 95's have no problem at 600yrds and will go to 1000 yrds.
                          NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• Herzo
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2017

I think I've found a 1000 yard load. Now at 210 rounds through the barrel. Produced a sub 3/8" group with a 107 grain SMK at 0.010" off the lands and ahead of a generous amount of Reloder 17 at 2760 fps.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Great stuff. Thanks for reports!
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                              X