• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

working up a load with speer tnt 90g and ppv

tommorow im going to start working up some loads witht he speer tnt and ppv , i dont have any load data from a book to go witht he tnt's so im going to base my starting point between sierra's load data for 85 and 100g bullets

so im thinking my starting point will be about 29.5g unless anyone has a better suggestion , ill prolly end up using my fcd on these loads
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mel View Post
    tommorow im going to start working up some loads witht he speer tnt and ppv , i dont have any load data from a book to go witht he tnt's so im going to base my starting point between sierra's load data for 85 and 100g bullets

so im thinking my starting point will be about 29.5g unless anyone has a better suggestion , ill prolly end up using my fcd on these loads
    I would drop down to 28 grains as a starting point.

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      I would drop down to 28 grains as a starting point.
      yeah that might not be a bad idea sierra calls for 28g as min with a 85g bullet and only 26.7g as min with 100g i think i accidently looked at the 85g and 107g data the first time i glanced at it

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mel View Post
        yeah that might not be a bad idea sierra calls for 28g as min with a 85g bullet and only 26.7g as min with 100g i think i accidently looked at the 85g and 107g data the first time i glanced at it
        For what it's worth I would use h335 under that bullet before I would use ppv.

I'm getting away from ppv,cfe223 and leverevolution. Just too temp sensitive for me in louisiana. Our temp swings are just too great for those powders down here.

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          For what it's worth I would use h335 under that bullet before I would use ppv.

I'm getting away from ppv,cfe223 and leverevolution. Just too temp sensitive for me in louisiana. Our temp swings are just too great for those powders down here.

im trying, just gota use up this last pound of ppv , wont take me long im sure , my local place has some tac comming in for me, so hopefully that works out well when i get to try that be another 1-2 weeks before i get my hands on it though
          ive got atleast 2 months before temps really start climbing here , but weather has been all over the place recently , weve gone from 20* this week upto 52* today and now 3 inches of snow tonight and back into the low 30's after

Comment

• drewsbow
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Well I have been loading some 90 TNT with 8208 with great results , reloading assistant says 29 -31 grn . I did some ladder tests and ended up at 31.2 grn velocity of 2825fps (magnetospeed chrono)Hornady brass BR4 primer 2.24 oal ( ymmv) five shot groups could be covered with a nickel at 100 yds.

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

didnt get to it today ended up loading a bunch of cm and grendel rounds for the range this weekend instead , ill prolly start working this up on monday

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Mel,
                This is one of my favorite bullets.
                DNS has killed 100?s of the cloven hoofed beast with this bullet.

I shoot this bullet a lot at 2,3 and 400 meters on steel.
                Laupa brass, FL resized with Hornady die.
                Redding comp shell holder #12 +.010
                IMR8208XBR 30.6 grains, all charges thrown with Harrell?s Precision
                CCI 450
                Bullet seated with Wilson hand die.
                COAL 2.195

Comment

• Mustangfreek
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2020

What kind of speed were u seeing with that load CJW? Barrel length?

Comment

• CJW
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Haven?t tested the speed but shootS great out my 16 and 18 inch Bbls.

Comment

• CJW
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

Haven’t tested the speed , but shoot great out my 16 and 18 inch Bbls.

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

loaded up 10 rounds while im on my lunch break i decided to start at 29g since my data is showing 28g as min for an 85g bullet

loaded 5 at 29 and 5 more at 29.5 ill shoot 2 groups and run them threw the chrono a lil later today

also couldnt resist and loaded up some for my cm to try out
                        Last edited by mel; 01-24-2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• mel
                          Chieftain
                          • Nov 2019

29g and 29.5 both shot slow and grouped pretty bad things started to get better at 30g and much better at 30.5g.

Doing all testing to start at 2.195 oal
                          Ppv deff likes theese light bullets
                          Fps wise
                          Again 2704 chrono read dup

Ill post some pics when i get home

Comment

• mel
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2019

30.5g ppv speer tnt 90g cci 400 , hornaday brass 2.195oal
                            shooting off the back of a truck i repositioned for the last shots and the poi went high ,

loaded up a few at 31g to try out tommorow

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

same load as before , i think im going to put a few of the 31g loads on paper and if they do well stretch them out to 5-600 yards and see how they do
                              while i primarily wanted to try theese for day/nighttime varmint and critter hunting if these will shoot out to 5-600y good these might just be by new mid range range bullets , hell of alot cheaper then running eld-ms at closer ranges

Comment

Working...
                              X