X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpstan
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2015

Just picked some up; will do a some ladders with TAC and 8208 and see how my 19.5" Hunter likes them.

Comment

• SightedIn
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

[QUOTE=GarandThumb;158014]I've been playing with them recently. With the 123 amax's gone and the 123 elds costing an extra $6 per box, i'm in the market for a less expensive plinker load.

27.6gr of ar comp works decent. Im getting ~2550 fps from a 23 inch barrel. Groups are nothing to write home about but I doubt the steel targets care.[/QUOTE

I second that. The ELDs have priced themselves out of my low-mid range shooting needs.
      I recently switched many of my Creedmoor loads away from hornady to the Nosler CCs and i think im going to be doing the same for Grendel

Comment

• cb4017
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I bought a couple thousand of the overruns and have started messing with them. Loaded to mag length in front of 31.2 gr CFE223 I have a .6" five round group and several .5" three round groups. So far I like them.
        Cliff
        USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• Bobke
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

I've been shooting CC's for several years with VG-EXC results using 31.7 CFE, CCI 41's at 2.255". 2525 in AR319, 2550 in 20" Bartlein and 2650 in 24" Satern. Have gone to the trouble of segregating seconds by ogival length, and have tipped/pointed prime CC's with results that really show benefit when out at 350-500 yds. Will continue to use them for a very viable, low cost mid range option in anything 6.5, but have not drawn blood with them as that doesn't seem to be their primary mission. Load for your rifle, and use on paper or steel with confidence.

Comment

• Mbaker78
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

I did a work up with 123CCs and TAC. Settled on 28.0gr and 1.785" to ogive as my optimal load.

With a 24" brownells (satern) barrel I'm only getting ~2458fps with an extreme spread of 69fps. It was only 46 degrees when these speeds were taken and I'm not sure how temp sensitive TAC is yet as I haven't been back to the range with a chrono yet.

I do know that they were hitting significantly lower at 300 yards than expected, but I'm not sure if that's due my scope not being verified correct at the given magnification.

*edit: I know the listed charge is above noslers listed max, but it's within the listed max from ramshot's published data for both the SMK and scenar of the same weight, and I started much lower and worked my way up (last summer). Primers are fairly flat, but I'm hoping to get a load I can use to hit at 1000y this summer.
            Last edited by Mbaker78; 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Commander184
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2016

I bought in on the 1000 rnd nosler CC that I found on here. 16 cents a bullet. I also buy 123 gn scenars 100 at a time for around 40cents each. I use the amax BC in my app for long range. My go to rnd is hornady brass with 123 CC over 28gn 8208xbr seated to 2.650". I've run them out to 2.750 and havnt seen any better groups. It chronographs at 2540fps out of my 24" Lilja. It's does well at 1000 with my limited experience as a long range shooter.

I turn my seating micrometer .010 up to start loading my scenars. I'm closeing in a load for the scenar and cfe223. I found a node at 31.5 and 31.7 gn of cfe223 in lapua brass with cci 41 primers but I'm changing to 450s

Edit. My barrel is also .936" thick. Big node
              Last edited by Commander184; 05-17-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

I thought I was onto a node and made up a bunch of 123 cc's with 26.6 and 26.7 of 8208 XBR and a COAL of 2.26. I had gotten some 1/2" 3 shot groups at these levels. Came away from the range dissapointed in these loads today. Couldn't get 5 shot groups better than an inch. And those groups were spread out. The 26.6 worked best - velocity was 2389 out of my 18" with sd of 9 and es 24. I had 4 of the 26.6s left when the wind died down enough to take some shots at the 10" square at 450. All 4 rang the plate (but the last just caught the bottom) so the accuracy was holding at range. I've got a bunch of the bullets so I'll probably use a bunch with this load for mid range practice. Too many other projects to work up something else with them for the time being
                Last edited by StoneHendge; 05-17-2017, 03:36 AM.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

Mine are set to arrive today - hoping to get them loaded up soon.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2015

Just wanted to follow up - I loaded 27.6gr AR Comp with these loaded to just under mag length and shot about .5MOA @100yrds with the exception of a flier on each group. CCI 450 primers. I hope to get back to the range to try and determine if it was me (most likely) or the loads.

What do you all recommend for OAL with these? It looks like they could stand to be seated a bit deeper so I might try that out next time.

Comment

• cb4017
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                      What do you all recommend for OAL with these? It looks like they could stand to be seated a bit deeper so I might try that out next time.
                      I've been loading them to around 2.255". Best 5 round group so far was .6" with 31.2 gr CFE-223. I have several 3 round at around .5".
                      Cliff
                      USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• Lightning8
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2015

I have been using the Nosler 123 CC in 6.5 G, 260 Rem, and my 6.5 CM. Very satisfied with the Nosler 123 CC. I picked up the Nosler 140 CC and am using that in the 6.5 CM now and saving the 123 for the Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                        X