Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benthompson

6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor? HELP!!!!!

I am about to have my first AR built and these two calibers are my final two choices. I don't know which one to get. I am gonna be deer and hog hunting with it at a range of a maximum of 600the yrds. The only problem I am having in deciding is the Creedmoor is considerably more to build but offers more bullet choices from hornady(which is my preferred brand) and the Grendel is way way cheaper to build but has only one ammo choice. Help please I am wanting to start building next week!

i believe the creedmoor has to be built on the AR10 frame. I have a POF P308, believe me it weighs much more than the standard platform. So if you plan to carry it around it won't be any fun.

The Grendel can take down about anything you want within reason, i.e. don't think I would shoot a moose with one. Many more choices for barrels for the AR platform on the Grendel, very few on the Creedmoor. There are a bunch of choices of bullets also for the Grendel.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The Creedmoor will require an AR-10 type platform, which is larger and heavier.

The Grendel fits in the smaller AR-15 platform.

Alexander Arms offers numerous ammo options, including some using Hornady bullets.

Ammo is also available from other sources, such as MidwayUSA:

Drifter

Comment

Ya, all that elkbow said. I have never seen Creedmoore offered in an AR barrel, I bet you would need one custom built. As it is much longer than Grendel it may or may not fit the AR10 platform. I would not want to try this untill I was closer to a master builder (I aint close). Why not join the great bloodstained Hoard? We can be pretty fun when we aint argueing over .0010". LOL

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Welcome!

You really are talking about two different animals here.

The Grendel fits in the AR15 frame, which is, at least 2-3 pounds lighter than the AR10 chassis which the Creedmoor requires.

The only way I would even consider the Creedmoor for hunting is if I was going to be sitting in a stand all the time. That extra weight gets heavy in a hurry humping it around the sticks.

BUT...The Creedmoor wouldn't be my first choice of caliber for that chassis, the .260 would. Shoots the same bullets, but LOTS more options for brass, including Lapua.

There are quite a few options for Grendel Ammo available from Alexander Arms. Have you looked at their offerings? They include 100 and 115 grain Bergers, 120 grain Barnes TSX's, 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, 120 grain Wolf MPT, 123 Grain Amax, 123 Grain Lapua Scenar, 129 Grain SST's, and 130 Grain Sciroccos.

The Grendel Horde is nothing if not helpful. All those replies while I was working on mine!! Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

• benthompson

Thanks for the advice. The weight probaly wont be much of an issue considering the .338 win mag I use weighs a good bit. Does that ammo listed above require me to do the reloading? I dont want to have to start reloading.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by benthompson View Post
              Thanks for the advice. The weight probaly wont be much of an issue considering the .338 win mag I use weighs a good bit. Does that ammo listed above require me to do the reloading? I dont want to have to start reloading.
              All that ammunition is available as factory loads from Alexander Arms, and often also available from Midway, Cabelas, etc.

Comment

• benthompson

Thanks I just saw the link lol. I am thinking of putting a flat top reciever and a 4x12x50 nikon prostaff with a BDC reticle, also have a 4-way rail with a eo-tech red dot offset to the side for those close range shots and a pistol grip. What you think of that combo?

Comment

• COTNTOP
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

I have both and love the Grendel the best. Grendel is lighter, easy to reload and very accurate. 600 yds is an easy hit with Grendel but do know about knockdown power.

Comment

• leopard6.5

Ben: Welcome and good luck with the build. What you descibed for your build is very similar to what I have on one of my Grendels.

I used the monolithic upper offered by Alexander Arms with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-15x50 scope. I have a Burris Fastfire mounted at 45 degrees off the upper rail for those close-in shots.
                    This type of setup works very well for me.

Once again welcome and keep those questions coming.

Lee

Comment

I am about to have my first AR built and these two calibers are my final two choices. I don't know which one to get. I am gonna be deer and hog hunting with it at a range of a maximum of 600the yrds. The only problem I am having in deciding is the Creedmoor is considerably more to build but offers more bullet choices from hornady(which is my preferred brand) and the Grendel is way way cheaper to build but has only one ammo choice. Help please I am wanting to start building next week!
                      My father-in-law would tell you to go creedmoor if you intended to hunt the big russian boar of southern CA (he's taken many and warns never to underestimate them). Aside from that, we'd both vote for Grendel.

Comment

I like the Grendel because of the size options, and because in the Rifle it can shoot almost anything I want withing the ranges that are practical for me. However, I am building a Creedmoor upper to go with my AR10 lower that I already have. I put together a handgun every year for a handgun hunt, the last two years being the 6.8 SPCII, a 6.5 Grendel, and since I'm going to need to take a long shot at a Mouflon later this year, I am putting together a Creedmoor handgun. Since I already have an AR10, I will build a Creedmoor upper for it. I have .260 Rem, and .260 REM Ack Imp bolt guns, and have put down a lot of animals in Africa with them. The 6.5 Creedmoor was created, and correct me if I am wrong, because while using the longer bullets in a .260 Rem in an AR10 frame, there is a magazine clearance problem. So the front end of the cartridge was shortened .115 inches to allow use of the heavier bullets. The shoulder was also changed from 20 degrees to 30 degrees. This makes the difference in case capacities from 54.8 gr water in the .260, and 52.4 in the Creedmoor. I would go with the Creedmoor because of the better .308 magazine clearance.

Comment

I think it really comes down to what you want to use it for, but like me I get one just to have one and get out to the range with it, whatever it is, alot of fun, I do love shooting my POF P308, but bought the complete gun, even though i normally build all my guns, I got the P308 with a 16" barrel because all the reports are that it outshoots the 20" barrel, and it does shoot some great groups with my handloads, so I will use it at the range and take it out hunting once in awhile, probably for Oryx here in New Mexico if I can draw the off-the-range hunt again

Comment

As folks have pointed out, the Grendel will do the job you want and be the lightest rifle. Ammunition is available and more types are coming out.

Also, my take is that the AR15 line of rifles has many more options for builds and, I think, can be done for a little less money. The folks who have done AR10 and AR15, builds can add more information.

If, as you indicate, you want the added velocity by going to one of the larger cases and don't mind the weight, the .260 Remington has a lot more factory ammunition offerings than the Creedmore. BTW, the Creedmore was designed to allow long-nosed target bullets to be conveniently loaded to magazine length. It is less likely to have anywhere near as large a selection of factory ammunition options as either the Grendel or the .260

Comment

• benthompson

Thanks for all the info guys. I have definitely found the best fourm out there for advice. Once again thanks for all your help and advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X