• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Get both.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
      I like the Grendel because of the size options, and because in the Rifle it can shoot almost anything I want withing the ranges that are practical for me. However, I am building a Creedmoor upper to go with my AR10 lower that I already have. I put together a handgun every year for a handgun hunt, the last two years being the 6.8 SPCII, a 6.5 Grendel, and since I'm going to need to take a long shot at a Mouflon later this year, I am putting together a Creedmoor handgun. Since I already have an AR10, I will build a Creedmoor upper for it. I have .260 Rem, and .260 REM Ack Imp bolt guns, and have put down a lot of animals in Africa with them. The 6.5 Creedmoor was created, and correct me if I am wrong, because while using the longer bullets in a .260 Rem in an AR10 frame, there is a magazine clearance problem. So the front end of the cartridge was shortened .115 inches to allow use of the heavier bullets. The shoulder was also changed from 20 degrees to 30 degrees. This makes the difference in case capacities from 54.8 gr water in the .260, and 52.4 in the Creedmoor. I would go with the Creedmoor because of the better .308 magazine clearance.
      I really think Hornady just wanted to have a 6.5mm in the new wave of .264's sweeping the market, and they just necked down their 30 TC and called it the 6.5 Creedmore. Since the .260 Rem book COAL is the same as the .308 (2.80"), there are absolutely no issues of loading even the 140gr Berger VLD's in the .260/AR10 action, magazine-fed. I have a .260 Rem AR-10, and I haven't encountered a single projectile that limits my mag-length loading, and I have 139gr Lapua Scenars, 140gr Berger VLD's, 142gr SMK's, 140gr Barnes Match Burners, 140gr AMAX's, and 144gr Lapua FMJ's. There is plenty of room, and I can even load a bit longer than 2.80", as I have loaded 2.815 before just to see how seating depths my help with a particular load.

When I was planning this custom .260 Rem build, I was looking at .260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmore. At the end of the day, brass availability is what drove my decision, and has favored me with even more new offerings from Lapua, and even Sako overseas. The 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmore still only have one source of brass. I started out necking down the stronger Winchester 7mm-08 brass, since the factory Remington .260 brass looks like garbage, but now Lapua makes .260 Rem, so no need to mess with Winchester brass, unless I'm looking for an inexpensive bag of brass from Sportman's.

I'm really enjoying the .260 Rem, but you absolutely need an AR10 action for these cases based off the .308 Winchester.

For the OP: If you truly will be hunting medium game at a distance of 600yds, you will need a larger case than Grendel, I believe, although a well-placed shot using a high-end bullet would probably get it done. There is just more velocity from a .473" base case holding 45gr or more of H2O. You will not be lugging around an AR10 though and enjoying your hunt much, unless you get an $800-$1000 carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Comment

Well I guess I should have clarified that I like to load Barnes all guilding metal bullets, and I have run into some issues with those. I'm sure there aren't with the other bullets that have a heavier metal component. Besides, I load almost all my own ammo, so a source of ammo is not a consideration for me, just as long as I can get good brass. I can see that option for others. I was loading .260 Remington years before it was the .260 Remington (6.5-.308), with my own custom reamers, as was necking up .243 brass for it. When I went to the .260 Ackley improved, I had to fire form all those cases. I guess I have to admit I want another caliber to play with.

Comment

• benthompson

Thanks guys gonna start my build next friday with the purchase if my DPMS lowerand the skies the limit from there.

Comment

Working...
          X