Contradicting feedback on the 6.5Grendel for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem might have been in the word wrap or the period at the end of the sentence.

In any event, bwaites gave us one that works and I've edited the original post, so it should work in both places.

If it doesn't, go to shootersnotes.com, select "Grendelmania" and then "Grendel Potential for Large Game."

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Reaper1 View Post
      Thanks for the info. Several sources I have talked to say that the 6.5 Grendel would be nothing better than a coyote round. Others, like yourself, are saying that it is a great deer rifle. I am a huge fan of the AR platform and have a strong interest in this particular round.
      Shhh! Don't tell this guy I was using a "coyote" round fired out of a 10.5" barrel to kill him and a bunch of his relatives.....

They might get mad at me and stop falling DRT if they hear I'm not using enough gun.LOL!!!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Well said, Variable.

Comment

• LightningII

If you can put a properly constructed bullet in the right place, you can cleanly take game at a given range. The whole "caliber A is great and caliber B sucks" argument is a lot of wasted effort.
          would I use a Grendel on a 400 yard elk? No.
          Did Mark Larue? Yes.
          Mark Larue is an experienced long range shooter, and you can bet he got a ton of range and field time on his Grendel before he went elk hunting, so more power to him. That's what counts.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Very well put. I am watching a lot of people spend way too much time morphing their "favorite" caliber into the "best" at whatever they think will catch peoples attention.

There is an edge of pride in seeing Grendel owners who do not care what the latest internet fad is, or better yet do not even know what is going on because they are actually out shooting.

On hunting, the man who is good enough that he only ever has to measure his shots in feet is in my opinion the better hunter. Still it is nice to now that you can reach out as needed.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Reap- take the leap, of faith. My 20" grendel replaced my 26" 7mm mag.,as my main hunting gun. It has been performing at about 2/3rds. the power/damage -to deer as my- backup .308. Accuracy is inspiring also. Bullet choices are -good- and still growing. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Wow stokesrj! That big horn is awesome! I worked for the grand canyon science center for a couple years before moving back to Missouri. I never did hunt out there because there was no hunting in the park, and I really didn't have any skills for the vast terrain of adjacent forest service land, and I didn't meet any co workers or befriend any hunters while out there working for the park service. Sure was different from Missouri. Lots of anti hunting vegetarians and hippies where I was Lol! But I sure loved watching the wildlife. I found an atypical mike deer shed with 9 points on one antler and always hoped to find a big horn skull but never did. I sure like that bighorn you got! I really like reading your posts too, sounds like you have a lot if knowledge to share.

Comment

screw the rifles, too easy, use a bow, my 2010 New Mexico Bull Elk:

awesome Sheep stokes....

Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

"Several sources I have talked to say that the 6.5 Grendel would be nothing better than a coyote round."

Clearly, these people have absoplutely no knowledge of the ballistics of the round. Or, they are the sort who think that it takes a .340 Weatherby to kill a deer.

The 6.5 Grendel is, ballistically speaking, a long range .30-30. Whatever you think can be done with a .30-30, the Grendel can do at roughly twice the distance. In my book, that is elk out to 200 yards or so, and deer and antelope out to farther than I would shoot. Of course, if you want to shoot coyotes you can do that, too.

IMGP0178C.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ullr View Post
                      The 6.5 Grendel is, ballistically speaking, a long range .30-30. Whatever you think can be done with a .30-30, the Grendel can do at roughly twice the distance. In my book, that is elk out to 200 yards or so, and deer and antelope out to farther than I would shoot. Of course, if you want to shoot coyotes you can do that, too.
                      Nicely said!

Your rule of thumb takes into account both bullet performance and "average" hunter ability to judge range, wind, slope, etc. and to make ethical shots!

Comment

This comes from a gun dealer and competitive Long range shooter ..

I have killed many deer with many calibers at very long distances ( up to 437 Yds)

the grendel kills them just as dead as my 300 WBY did with much less recoil and sound ..
                        Thats all I need to stick with the grendel

Thanks

Smoke

Comment

And.. I dont think it even posible to get "scoped" by grendel.

Comment

I would have no problem using the Grendel on antelope and deer, in fact that's what I carried this year while hunting for them. Just didn't find any keepers. I was with my buddy when he took his elk at 300 yards with a 6.5, while not a Grendel, the bullet performed well. I personally would want a little more energy at range on a big bull elk or moose, but only if comfortable shooting it. There is a lot to be said about a round that you can shoot consistently and have faith in its accuracy when it comes time to pull the trigger with fur in the scope.

Comment

When you look at all the game and types of game that have been taken with the 6.5 Swede, especially taking into consideration that it was loaded to very mild pressures back from its introduction through the last century, it's hysterical to see hunters in the US turn their nose up at the Grendel as not being enough gun/caliber. I mean, the Swede has been used for everything from rabbits to elephants, and is the go-to cartridge in Northern Europe for Moose. It just is. Someone forgot to give them the memo I guess.

Comment

Got to remember that we americans think we invented "bigger, faster, better..."

Small wonder that some think that 300 Magnum is the lightest practical game caliber -- my dad did. Actually he used a .375 H&H Magnum for deer and rabbits.
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X